RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2020, 06:15 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Battery Disconnect Switch Q

I'm puzzled by my apparent inability to deactivate the batteries via the Battery Disconnect Switch. I'm not sure that I really need to, but it troubles me that I have a switch that doesn't seem to work. It is "ON" and has been for the last five years continuously. I haven't figured how to switch it "OFF", Is that a problem?

I've noticed in some threads that occasionally an issue is resolved by "resetting" a circuit, doing so by hitting the kill switch and then turning it back on to reboot a circuit board. Is this that switch?

Just for the sake of knowing what it's for...

RB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BattDisc.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	303380  
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2020, 11:02 PM   #2

What model and year is your coach? I have a DSDP 2019 and the "house" disconnect is by the door. The red means you are connected to battery. The chassis disconnect is in the last driver side bay next to the engine. It has an on off switch next to the batteries. I have seen a Freightliner tech disconnect all 3 battery plugs in the driver side front bay just under the driver seat that disconnects all the "house battery power.

Mahdi & Debbie
2019 Dutch Star 4018
2020 Tahoe LT
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:36 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The disconnect switch is not what you think. It does not disconnect the battery. It shuts off certain branch circuits on the DC electrical system.

Your 2016 Ventana should have come with a Black Bag. Inside should have been a multi-page printed handout that includes the drawing I attached. This particular drawing shows the circuits which are tied to the house storage relay.

There is a heavy cable going from the house battery bank to the input side of that self-latching relay. It is routed thru a 150A catastrophic fuse inside your battery compartment. The side of the relay it connects to have multiple feed lines going to fuse blocks and self-resetting dc breakers. The input side powers those circuits designated “constant battery powered”... Now, on the other side of the relay, are also fuse blocks and self-resetting dc breakers. These are designated “disconnect battery powered”. Note the items which are connected to the disconnect battery power side...and you’ll see what that switch in your overhead cabinet is controlling. Note: because the fuse panel in the half bath is powered by B2, and B3 40A breakers...the switch shuts down the items on that fuse panel as well.

Hope this clears up a misconception that you and others have about the, (commonly referred to) “Salesman Switch”.

It’s my opinion this switch is advantageous for two things...

1) A Dealer sets up a display model, turns on lights, etc, to make a nice presentation. When they enter the coach, they turn the switch on.....everything lights up nice and pretty. As they leave, they turn it off...and all those pretty lights go out. It just saves them time going thru and shutting off individual switches.

2) If you decide to add things like, SeeLevelII with Bluetooth, or a Wireless remote device to control your waste valves electrically...if these things loose connectivity and need to be rebooted...I use the disconnect switch to power down and power back up. Obviously, I purposely added those circuits onto a fuse panel that is on the Disconnect Battery side of the relay.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	16FEE783-0B39-4EDC-BB41-BD72E88F0A43.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	303433  
Old 10-05-2020, 10:46 AM   #4

A lot depends on your use of the coach too; if the coach is constantly plugged into shore power when not being driven , then there is no need to turn the switch to disconnect the systems to prevent the batteries being drained .
Old 10-05-2020, 08:59 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to all for the good information.

One follow up question: Why am I not able to switch it off? Could it be that it is not operational while I'm on shore power?
Old 10-05-2020, 10:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushy View Post

One follow up question: Why am I not able to switch it off? Could it be that it is not operational while I'm on shore power?
Very possible , I have never tried to use mine when on shore power , when operating when not on shore power , the light will stay on for a few seconds, before dimming out.
Number of years between our coaches , but I'll try mine tomorrow.
Old 10-06-2020, 03:30 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdi View Post
what model and year is your coach?

Mahdi & debbie
2019 dutch star 4018
2020 tahoe lt
rb
2016 VTDP 3709
Old 10-06-2020, 05:57 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

If you look behind the cord reel...and remove a black plastic panel velcroed onto aluminum rails. You will discover one of the epicenters of DC power distribution.

Two relay items are mounted there. One is the bi-directional relay...which, under it’s own logic...connects the house and chassis to share power. It has a manual override in the form of a BOOST switch at the drivers console.

The other relay is the house disconnect relay...and an octopus of wires flow down from it...powering all those fuse blocks and self-resetting breakers. It is designed to use ZERO power unless it is moving from ON to OFF, or vice versa. It is self latching. It doesn’t need electricity to stay in a particular position. If this relay has failed...or your switch wire from the console isn’t connected for some reason...that’s the only way it wouldn’t work. As you can see... it is 100% DC electrical. It has no idea that your coach even has an AC electrical system. This system operates 100% independently of the shore AC power connection or Generator power connection.

So, when you say you can’t shut it off... are you saying the relay isn’t working. None of your DC circuits are shutting down? The Precision Circuits panel that does your electrical management...is powered off a 7.5a fuse on the disconnect battery powered side of the relay. If you toggle the house disconnect switch...does that panel go dark? If so, your relay is working. If not...your relay isn’t working and needs to be troubleshot.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:10 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The disconnect in this photo is in the in use position. I have my dc system fully powered. The red light is ON. The PCS panel above it is powered.

If I toggle the disconnect switch...the red led on it goes out. The panel above it will loose display.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D635D05B-BAD3-4050-94FA-0FB96C6E12DA.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	303551  
Old 10-07-2020, 12:05 AM   #10

On the Dutch Star 2019 the switch is y the door. When the house is powered it has a red light. It toggles to off to turn the house power off. The light goes out. It works independent from whether there is shore power or generator power present.
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:03 AM   #11

FYI, this afternoon, I tried to use the coach battery disconnect , and it wouldn’t disconnect when shore power, and functioned normally when shore power removed.
While I write this, what I didn’t try was to supply shore power while the disconnect was off to see if the system would automatically reconnect, or remain off.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:19 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
FYI, this afternoon, I tried to use the coach battery disconnect , and it wouldn’t disconnect when shore power, and functioned normally when shore power removed.
While I write this, what I didn’t try was to supply shore power while the disconnect was off to see if the system would automatically reconnect, or remain off.
WOW...This must be a new wiring method.

I stay plugged in at home,,, so Shore Power on. I have used the disconnect switch to reboot my SeeLevel II module, to reinvigorate the Bluetooth connection. Although, it is probably my phone that needs the reboot.

Having it ignore switch input with shore power must be a new method of wiring. Very Interesting.

SO that may answer Bushy's question... the rest of us are just throwing out bad info, for the particular installation.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:40 AM   #13

In a completely unrelated rv, the light on the disconnect switch will remain lit while on shore power whether the battery is connected or not.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:08 AM   #14

Quote:

If I am on shore power and hit the disconnect to off my red light stays on. Unplug then hit switch to off red light goes off.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, disconnect, switch