Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2021, 02:07 PM   #1

Question Battery Disconnects

We just purchased our used 2018 Newmar New Aire 3343 with very little instructions. One of our questions is about connecting to a 120 volt outlet while sitting in the driveway. When we sit in the driveway we draw over 20 amps if the battery switch disconnect is not disconnected. When disconnected we only draw a few amps. My questions is does the motor block heater work when the disconnect switch is off, also does the batteries stay charged?

We have a 3000 watt solar system as well which could keep everything charged, but once again we don't know much about the system. When should we disconnect and when should we not? What stays powered and what does not. I wish there was more information about all of this, but there's not including the Newmar manual.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
TAM Travels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2021, 02:58 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Am I understanding you have the block heater on all the time? If so, turn it off, you don’t need that. Your 120v should provide enough power to keep your batteries charged, but any heavy load (such as the block heater) could send you over the breaker’s threshold.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:46 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We keep our coach plugged into a 20amp outlet, when the coach is at home. Been using that outlet for three DP's now, all with residential refers. You shouldn't be drawing over 20amps, unless you're trying to run something like an electric heater, AC or heat pump.

Your statement is confusing about the block heater. It shouldn't be on, unless the weather is below 35 degrees and you intend to start and run the coach the next day. For normal storage, there is no need to have the block heater on.

With your solar array, you should be using next to nothing as your battery charging will be very limited since the solar is keeping the batteries topped off.

When at home, we don't turn anything off in regards to the batteries.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:03 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Could it be the battery charging system? If the batteries are low, it should kick in big time with a high rate of charge until the voltage creeps up. Then it should taper off as voltage in the batteries gets nearer to fully charged.

That would explain the change with the batteries disconnected and low draw.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:37 PM   #5

Thanks everyone. I was only asking about the block heater because the weather is starting to get cold (25 degrees) at night. I will check the voltage levels in the morning. I was just curious what all gets shut off when you push the disconnect button next to the passengers seat. Also, is it necessary? The 2 manual disconnects are still turned on and never gets turned off.
TAM Travels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:57 AM   #6

In my storage garage I only have 20 amps. I never disconnect my batteries. If I need the block heater because I am going to use the coach in cold weather then, I use the other plug in my garage outlet and run another extension cord to the plug for the block heater. That switch in the coach for the block heater just energizes the outlet that the plug is in. You can plug directly into that block heater cord and the block heater will work. I think it comes on below 40 degrees.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:01 AM   #7

The block heater should be off unless you are preparing to start the engine. The antifreeze is there to protect it from cold weather.

Your battery charging circuits should have a control where you can set the incoming power. You should be able to set a cap so that the charger doesn't pull more than your outlet can provide. Check your manual for setting the current limit.

If you disconnect the batteries with the switch you may find that the battery bank does not receive a charge. Double check that in your manual, otherwise you will find dead/damaged batteries when you want to use the coach.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:14 AM   #8

sales

I think what you are switching off is the salesman switch. I have two big rotary switches in the lower compartments. One for the house batteries and another one for the engine. Mine is an older unit, so someone with a newer one could chime in.
Kenrbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM Travels View Post
We just purchased our used 2018 Newmar New Aire 3343 with very little instructions. One of our questions is about connecting to a 120 volt outlet while sitting in the driveway. When we sit in the driveway we draw over 20 amps if the battery switch disconnect is not disconnected. When disconnected we only draw a few amps. My questions is does the motor block heater work when the disconnect switch is off, also does the batteries stay charged?

We have a 3000 watt solar system as well which could keep everything charged, but once again we don't know much about the system. When should we disconnect and when should we not? What stays powered and what does not. I wish there was more information about all of this, but there's not including the Newmar manual.

You need to do some research to fins out how your solar system works and your inverter/charger system works. That will remove all doubt..

FWIW...

I store my RV outside, and I have an 800 watt solar system....

Generally speaking... the solar panels will go to a solar controller, then straight to the batteries. Close to the batteries, there will usually be an inline "on/off" switch. That allows you to shut off power from the solar panels when "working" on the batteries.. make sure the solar "on/off" switch is always on, and your betteries should be kept charged by your solar..

My solar system/controller keeps my house batteries charged (and has a line to trickle charge the chassis battery) whether my salesman switch is on or off.

I have two inverters. I have a 2000w controller/inverter for my house 120V loads, mostly the video stuff, with a couple of other outlets.

I also have a dedicated 1000 watt inverter for my residential fridge.

I usually store my rig with salesman switch on, and both the fridge inverter and main inverter off. My solar easily handles any of the parasitic 12v draws, and I will occasionally leave a fantastic fan or two on, during hot weather, to circulate air in the RV.

Prior to a trip, I will turn on the fridge inverter several days before the trip, to cool down the fridge and allow us to stock it for the trip.

I live in SoCal, but my meager (compared to yours) 800 watt solar system easily keeps the house batteries charged, even with the house fridge running. I haven't plugged it in during storage yet...

I suspect if you manage your 120V loads while plugged in, your solar should handle all your battery charging needs, and you could easily keep your 120V usage below 15/20 amps..
Old 10-28-2021, 11:36 AM   #10

Spartan Chassis
The one thing I'll add is that a block heater draws around 10 amps by itself. So if you leave it on all the time and it's below 40 degrees, 1/2 of the amps available are being used by the heater. Despite what anyone says, your block heater has a thermostat built in and only turns on when the reading is below 40 degrees so you could leave it on. Personally I would just add Anti-Gel Cold Weather Diesel Treatment and only use the heater a day before starting it. FYI the block heater will not prevent diesel from gelling in the Oasis or generator fuel filters.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:03 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Battery Disconnects

My 2018 NewAire 3343 came with a Battery disconnect for the Chassis , but not for the House Battery’s other than the Salesman switch inside by the door. I added a disconnect at the House Battery’s so I could completely shut off any draw on the Battery’s. I store mine in a lot covered (no Solar) and don’t have an ability to plug in 110 power.
Not sure why the rig did not come standard with the Chassis disconnect, cost me a couple hundred dollars to add the House disconnect doing the install myself.
Newmarbeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:56 PM   #12

I added cut off switches for ease of service or storage.

I also upgraded the main fuse holder as the original one melted due to poor quality.

Ted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5992.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	385.2 KB
ID:	348135   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6274.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	348136  

Old 11-07-2021, 06:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM Travels View Post

Check your Magnum settings. You can specify that you are connected to a 20 amp circuit and it will restrict the battery charge rate apprpriately.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:38 AM   #14

Garage Outlets

All good advice above.

Sometimes garage outlets are part of a house hold circuit that includes other appliances. The total current use by the RV is added to what ever is connected to garage outlet. If it all exceeds 20 amps, the house breaker will trip.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, disconnect