RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2017, 05:51 PM   #1

Battery drain on New Aire

I put our New Aire in the garage and engaged the battery disconnect, turned the inverter off via the Silverleaf panel, and turned off the chassis batteries via the disconnect. The Silverleaf panel inside is still lit and active and the Oasis unit still has a green light showing it is powered. I'm uncertain if there are other things drawing power.

I thought the steps I took would have resulted in nothing drawing power from the batteries. What am I missing?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2017, 06:00 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Battery drain on New Aire

There will always be some small drains. CO detector, some of the many controllers etc....
Something to keep in mind, the disconnects also remove batteries from chargers in some cases. So if you are keeping it plugged in you may not want to disconnect.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:14 PM   #3

Can't speak to your rig, but many rigs have the inverter/charger connected to the house bats [fused of course]. These inverter/charger units often have a environ control fan that runs 24/7/365. As mentioned, there are many other [small] draws on the chassis bats that don't go thru the "kill switches". Accordingly, most coaches need to stay plugged in or have some solar panels and access to sun shine.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna_Wander View Post
I thought the steps I took would have resulted in nothing drawing power from the batteries. What am I missing?
Precisely why we need an electrical system schematic for the New Aire.

Anyway, here is a quote from Newgle under the SilverLeaf DC power section discussing the battery disconnect function:

Quote:
"The front HMS365 will stay powered on to operate the battery disconnect, keyless entry, and the coach's WiFi and Rozie Telematics system, allowing continued access to the coach via the MyRozie website."
This is in a section where the King Aire, Essex and New Aire SilverLeaf documentation is discussed. Since the New Aire only has one panel I am pretty sure it still applies. For obvious reasons the SilverLeaf system stays engaged after other sources have been disconnected otherwise the MyRozie functionality would not work via the internet. I have no idea about the Oasis system but if there is a light that is on it must be directly connected to the battery.

Newmar still has not populated the documentation for the Oasis system on the New Aire Newgle page.

It would be helpful to know what the power drain is on the house batteries after the "Disc" button has been pressed on the SilverLeaf DC page. With 800 amp hours of house battery storage in the NewAire the coach could likely be stored without an external connection for some time.

The other question not covered in the documentation is whether the Xantrex charger will continue to charge the house batter with the "Disc" switch off. Some RV's are wired to allow battery charging while coach DC sources are disconnected. A schematic would answer this question as well.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #5

Quote:
I put our New Aire in the garage and engaged the battery disconnect, turned the inverter off via the Silverleaf panel, and turned off the chassis batteries via the disconnect. The Silverleaf panel inside is still lit and active and the Oasis unit still has a green light showing it is powered. I'm uncertain if there are other things drawing power.

Glad you are asking these questions. It is giving me a chance to find answers before I even see my coach.

Digging down into the depths of Newgle I found several diagrams of the New Aire fuse and circuit breaker panels that allow a little "reverse engineering" into how the coach is wired.

There are 10 fuses and 3 circuit breakers on the DC circuit that are what Newmar calls "CONSTANT BATTERY POWER".

The fuses are:
F1 Battery Boost & Courtesy Lights
F2 Hydronic Heat
F3 Dash & Exterior Radio Clocks
F4 Battery Disconnect
F5 Entrance Step & AGS
F6 HD 360 Camera
F7 Cockpit Lights
F8 BSMT Security Relay
F9 KIB Generator Module
F10 Dash DSP Module

The circuit breakers are:
B1 Entry Step
B2 Power Shore Cord Reel
B3 Multi-Plex System

Note the hydronic heat (Oasis) is on a Constant Power circuit which verifies your observation.

Based on my reading of the SilverLeaf/MyRosie system documentation and this information, here is what I think is going on.

The MyRosie functionality documentation clearly describes the capability to access the coach via the internet and control everything in the coach hooked to the SilverLeaf system. In order to provide for this functionality certain coach subsystems must be powered on all the time to be ready to act on a command coming from the internet.

For instance, the fuse for the battery disconnect switch always has Constant Battery Power. This would allow a command inbound from the internet via MyRosie to turn off the battery disconnect (connect the house battery to everything not on Constant Power) to activate various devices.

Here is the diagram showing the Constant Battery Power devices.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
Glad you are asking these questions. It is giving me a chance to find answers before I even see my coach.

Digging down into the depths of Newgle I found several diagrams of the New Aire fuse and circuit breaker panels that allow a little "reverse engineering" into how the coach is wired.
Thanks for tracking this down Turbopilot. It is "SO" nice having you on Team New Aire.

I will keep track of the battery drain amount with the disconnects as I have them set up and will report back. I am thinking as things are currently set from the factory the New Aire will experience complete battery drain in a short period of time (days not weeks) if not plugged in. If that is the case I'm wondering if King Aire's and Essex's with similar systems experience the same.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for tracking this down Turbopilot. It is "SO" nice having you on Team New Aire.

I will keep track of the battery drain amount with the disconnects as I have them set up and will report back. I am thinking as things are currently set from the factory the New Aire will experience complete battery drain in a short period of time (days not weeks) if not plugged in. If that is the case I'm wondering if King Aire's and Essex's with similar systems experience the same.
Based on what Newgle shows the King Aire, Essex and New Aire share similar electrical systems. King Aire has 16 batteries, Essex only has 6 batteries and our New Aire has 8 batteries. So it sounds like late model Essex owners would experience issues earlier with SilverLeaf related battery drain.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:37 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some of us added knife switch off positive battery post for both battery banks for total disconnect.
Than some of us just supplied at least 110 so the converter could allow the BIRD charging system to maintain all batteries during winter month or in storage.
Current draws can come from ECM, TCM, RADIO, LP Detector and other controls to retain their memories.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:16 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
A very useful item for your chassis & coach battery banks are battery monitoring kits with a shunt that tells you how many amps you are drawing from or adding to the batteries. I use an Xantrex Link 10 for the chassis and Magnum BMK for the coach and know that a .4 amp draw is normal for the chassis, and 11-12 amps is normal for the coach when the inverter is running 24/7 before going to bed at night. When I turn on the heat pads for the water tanks I know that they draw up to 41 amps more and cycle to 0 amps as needed. I do not want to wake up cold in the early morning because the batteries were sneakily dieing on me while boondocking in the 6,600' NW Wyoming woods in mid-Oct. If you decide to get BMKs then buy from the inverter mfgr so the electronic stuff plays nicely together.

I use Magnum (see signature) which includes a setting for Lifeline batteries, and my coach 800AH bank still recharges to 102% of rated SOC with solar energy after nearly 6 years of use. This stuff is not cheap but is necessary if you want a very reliable system when camping in parks, forests, Wal-Mart's, etc. without hookups.

2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, battery