RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2016, 09:56 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Battery maintenance

I know this is a dumb question, but I have read past posts about this and just want to make sure I understand proper procedures.

While plugged into shore power, I am okay with opening cells on house batteries and "topping" off the water levels as needed without fear of electrical shock or grounding.

Am I correct in this assumption?

Thanks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 10:14 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
You will be just fine, but do not use metal utensils, pliers or open flame.
You can not get shocked , the voltage is only 6 /12 Volts.
Don't spill any of the battery acid (electrolyte) on your cloths or skin.
I use a "turkey baster" for the job, so I can reach the far away cells.
Do not overfill.
Siggy

siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #3

Your only risk for shock would be tools, jewelry touching the batteries posts and metal in the compartment. Common sense should prevail;

The key idea about checking cell level and testing batteries is that it should be done while the batteries are at REST. So no charging or discharging for accurate results.

Adam
Old 04-14-2016, 10:43 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you for the quick reassurances.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-14-2016, 10:55 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"unw1red".....Do you want to make your life really simple and keep your batteries performing well? If you do, here is one of the best products you'll ever buy.. https://flow-rite.com/battery-watering/pro-fill

It replaces your battery caps with caps that have a float and interconnected watering system. When it's time to fill your batteries, you just connect a supplied hose with a bulb type hand pump into a jug of distilled water, squeeze the bulb until it becomes firm and your batteries will all be filled equally and correctly. Put the bulb away and you're done.

The system is pricey, about $170.00, but will be one of your best investments. It helps to keep battery acid at bay and makes it so you don't dread the days you have to check your batteries, which leads to better battery life. I can check/fill my batteries in less than five minutes without getting dirty.

Check several RV websites for the best price. You can even do a search on the forums and will see that anyone who has bought one, didn't regret it.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:02 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks, DS Don. I will definitely investigate.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-14-2016, 01:41 PM   #7

Pro-fill..........something I should of bought 10 yrs. ago. Oh so easy to top them batteries off. Got mine for 120.00 (Takes care of 4 batteries) but then that was a few years back. Great product
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:05 PM   #8
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
+1 for pro-fill have used one for 10 years. Take your distilled water bottle out, insert fill hose and connect to battery, squeeze fill bulb until water stops, but away. Ezypezy.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:52 PM   #9
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Even better, get AGM batteries. On my last coach, I never looked at my batteries in the 5 years I owned it. The new coach is a little over a year old. I assume all eight batteries are still in there, but I never have to check on them.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:16 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I use a battery filling system similar to the one Dutch_Star_Don mentioned above. They work great saving time and making the job a whole lot cleaner and easier.

Be sure to use only distilled water in your batteries. Any mineral content in the water will conduct electricity and seriously damage your batteries.

Be careful when handling the batteries or anything else in the battery compartment. Even though you can't see it, it will likely have battery acid on it and transfer it to your hands. All will look fine until the effected clothing comes in contact with water. You'll be able to see those areas later - they'll be the areas with the holes in them.

I would suggest you wear disposable gloves and safety glasses.

You might also want to go down to your local hardware store and pick up a can of spray battery cleaner. Follow the directions on the can. You could also use baking soda and water to clean the batteries and terminals but for someone not familiar with batteries, the commercial spray cleaner is likely more apropos.

A "battery servicing" search on YouTube will provide multiple visual examples.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:21 PM   #11
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Newmarpusher. Agree 100% I added AGMs to my, soon to be picked up, VTDP. OP did ask about wet cells though. Until he can replace, a Pro-fill is a nice add on.

OP, I was always taught to not have batteries on charge when filling. Something about heat generated during charging and cold water hitting the warm plates. My EE buddy said this might sulfate the battery. Not sure if it matters, but that is the process I have followed.

JMH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, maintenance