Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Battery Question

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but I just came from my RV (2012 Canyon Star Model 3920) at the storage lot. It is fortunately in an open garage, so top and sides are covered and it is plugged in. I opened the door and the steps did not come down. I checked the switch. Nothing, it was already in the on position. Then I went to the front door and crawled in without steps. There was no light, nothing. I, then, checked the plug and it had been tripped. I reset it and the electricity went on. Before I got everything back on, I did try to start the engine. Completely dead. My question is if the coach batteries are drained because they were in the "use" position and the plug was tripped, why is the engine battery affected? I look forward to hearing your responses. Thanks!!!
Iggyval is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #2

Chassis batteries would be in trouble ( dead) in 3>4 weeks due to draws from electronic modules.
How long since you were last there?
Old 05-22-2015, 08:11 PM   #3
Community Moderator

This wireless alarm system will send your phone a text message if it senses a loss of power.....could save you from expensive battery problems in the future.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1432347041.945471.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	94978
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:45 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I was there last weekend. I haven't tried to start it in a few weeks but it hasn't been unplugged or without power until this week. So, if it isn't on "store", disconnect of coach batteries, then the chassis battery will be drained when the coach batteries are dead. Is that right?
Old 05-22-2015, 09:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a PFD of the battery systems in a Newmar coach.
Your chassis engine battery is at the mercy of your house batteries when plugged in and the battery cut off switch is on. The house batteries will be charged first than the engine battery and with coach under cover the small solar panel will not be able to make up for the parasite drains off the chassis battery, radio, ECM, TCM, LP Detector.

You will have either the Bird System or the B.M.I. System to charge your batteries.

With the power cut off and if batteries are wet cells and not topped off with water plus aging the batteries will begin to weaken in holding a charge.
The house batteries will need to be almost fully charged before the chassis battery begins to receive its charge.

Most years I have had my coach plugged in all winter, this winter I did not have plugged in until mid Feb when it was real cold.
Batteries were not charged since Nov to Feb period.

Placed batteries back on charge in Feb and steps would not move because of a dead chassis battery, tried in March still no steps but could start the coach engine using the battery boost button on the dash because the house batteries were now charged.

I have AGM's two 12v I installed in 09 when I removed the two 6v wet cells.
AGM's worked great when traveling back and forth to FL. dry camping at CB's overnight on trip.

The coach has been plugged in since Feb and all batteries including the chassis battery are now fully charged my chassis battery is the original chassis battery with the 03 coach.

I just picked up a MADP for someone and all batteries were dead while coach was at a campground in N.H. all winter.

Nothing worked used a car jumpers on chassis battery for a couple of hours and was able to get coach started and drive home.

Chassis battery was charged but house batteries needed work 8 of them cut them down to 4 and swapped one of the four with broken lug and redress all connections and battery cables and put a stand alone battery charger on batteries to bring charge up and now have that coach plugged into house working off it converter.

If your batteries and cables are good and clean plus ground cables to chassis frame are clean the batteries will recover pretty fast some times you may need a stand alone battery charger to help.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:15 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks, 007!!! I have just a few questions about your post. What do ECM, TCM, BMI, AGM, CB, MADP mean? I'm new to the RV jargon. Thanks!!!
Old 05-23-2015, 09:16 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
ECM -engine computer--- TCM == transmission computer -- battery charging system -- AGM sealed batteries not wet cells -- CB -- Cracker Barrel's --- Mountain Aire DP

Look in this link for info on surge protectors, other one of your questions and below in my signature are links to many more for your coach.
May want to read this link also.
Stickies top of forums may whole a lot of information for you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery