Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #1

Battery Replacement

I am in need of replacing the 4 house batteries, 6volt, and the two chassis batteries, 12 volt. I have a 2003 DSDP, so I think I have gotten good use for those 8 years. It came with Interstate U2200, which are now called GC2, for the house and Douglas 31-950T for the chassis. Sam's has the 6 volt @ 220 amp hr for the best price and they are made by Johnson Controls.

The best I can do on the chassis batteries are those made by Exide and sold by Batteries Plus. Same cold craning as the ones I am replacing.

Could you share any experience you might have had in replacing batteries?
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2011, 12:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
If you aren't familiar with "blems", looking for a blem may help with cost. When I need any kind of battery, I go to our local Interstate distributor and ask for "blems" to save money. Blems (or blemished batteries) carry the same warranty, but have something that makes the manufacturer not want to sell them as their first line battery. They may have a scar in the case, or something with the appearance that doesn't affect the operation.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ed B,
You are correct in that you got great service by getting 8 years out of the batteries. My battery compartment makes it difficult to check the water in any battery. When I changed, I went with:

Chassis = AC Delco maintenance free (2 batteries) installed in 2010
Coach = Discover AGM technology (4 batteries) installed in 2007

So far so good.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:58 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
8 years on the interstates is good. GC-2 is the battery's "Form Factor" (Golf Car #2) so called because it's used in thousands of golf cars,, This maies it a very inexpensive battery due to the economy of scale (costs less per unit to make by the thousand than by the hundred)

I did not know Batteries Plus sold Excide manufactured battereies... Though I can not cite specific cases.. I do recall having some in the past.. but my friends whom I respect do not respect Excide... That said.. That is likely where I'll get MY next battery.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #5

Interstate batteries

I have A 2005 4304 Mountain Aire 43' with a DSL 400. I have Interstate X4 Workaholic U2200 batteries that are just going bad. I was also wandering if the Interstate batteries would be the best replacement. I haven't had to good of luck with the Exide brand.
I would be interested in knowing what others have done. Thanks Bob.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I got 6 years on our Interstate batteries. They hadn't died yet but was having problems charging. Went to local Interstate battery dealer for all 6 batteries. Nothing worse than turning the key and hearing nothing but "click" even with battery boost on. I check my batteries quite frequently and add "Distilled" water when needed. Oh by the way, changing batteries is a very good workout too.
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #7

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

House batteries wet cell Trojan or if you go AGM Lifeline. I switched to the AGM because I could not keep the acid build up out of the tray and off the batteries. 2 plus years with AGM and NONE/ NADA acid on batteries or in battery tray.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:00 AM   #8

I found the 31 -950 CCA amp batteries at Sam's for $97 but all of them at two different sites were at least 6 - 12 months old. Check the build dates . I also just had a front tire on my toad replaced at a Ford dealer and when I picked it up it was a new Michelin with a 2007 date code. Watch what you buy. They are changing it today.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I changed out my 6V wet cells to two 12V AGM's from SAMS. price was right and used them over night dry camping in Cracker Barrel Restaurant's on way to FL. and back in cold winter month of Jan.
Furnace, TV, lighting and fridge worked all night without a hitch.
Have the same 12V engine battery 7 years old all being charged during winter months with the B.I.R.D. System ready to roll when ever.
DP expense's for AGM's should pay off easily.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #10

Problem for some of us going from 4-6v to 2-12v is we need 6v for lighting.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Problem for some of us going from 4-6v to 2-12v is we need 6v for lighting.
I though all the house electical was 12 volts. Other than batteries what is 6 volts?
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #12

Newmar taps the 6 volts for MOOD lighting. Just runs 6 volts instead of 12 volts to ceiling lites.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The coach came with two six volt wet batteries for total of 12v in parallel, I placed two 12v AGM's on same tray and do not have a mess on tray anymore.
All lighting in a Newmar coach is 12v's.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #14

Thanks for all of the replies. I just finished the replacement of all of the 6 batteries. It was, indeed, a good workout.

One suggestion: If you need to remove batteries and want to get them back in the same place and wired the same and everything working properly, don't rely on only taking a picture or your memory. I drew a diagram of all 6 batteries, numbered each post, and then placed matching numbers on the wire ends. I listed the number of wires going to each of the posts. I also took pictures but was restricted by the close quarters and lack of clear visibility to all of the posts.

I counted a total of 25 cable ends going to the 12 battery posts. I don't even want to think of the total number of possible hookups, some even being correct.

It gave me a good chance to thoroughly remove the rust on the battery tray, apply a good undercoat and final coat of paint, and also grease the roller bearings for the sliding tray. I placed the batteries on this material you use on shelves to keep items from sliding. It provided an opportunity to reattach the hold down straps. I thoroughly cleaned all of the cable ends before reattaching.

I hope not to repeat this little exercise for another 8 years.
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote