RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #1

Battery Replacement Advice.

Hubby casually mentioned that he wants to replace 2 of the 4 house batteries before we head South. It seems, I remember reading that all 4 batteries should be changed at the same time. Of course, I can't find the thread now that we need the information. Any battery experts know the answer? If it makes a difference, we have the type that he puts water in every month or so. Also, would appreciate any suggestions on best brands.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

schools out is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2016, 05:35 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by schools out View Post
Hubby casually mentioned that he wants to replace 2 of the 4 house batteries before we head South. It seems, I remember reading that all 4 batteries should be changed at the same time. Of course, I can't find the thread now that we need the information. Any battery experts know the answer? If it makes a difference, we have the type that he puts water in every month or so. Also, would appreciate any suggestions on best brands.
Why just 2 of them??
How old are they?
Yes, all 4 of them should be replaced so they are all new and equal.........
The first thing I would do is remove the 4 of them(After they have a good charge on them) and take them and have they "Load Tested" to see what their condition is.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:43 PM   #3

Thanks, palehorse. He mentioned 2, because 2 lose the water faster & get hot. Not certain how old...best guess is 5-6 years.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:50 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
X2 what palehorse said, sounds like they may be 4 6volt? generally when mixing batteries the weakest link is still the older batteries and may be OK for a while but its a short term fix.
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:51 PM   #5

If there was a problem with 2 of 4, ONE year old batteries, then maybe change only the two.

With 5 or 6 years on them, you will be changing the others soon anyway.

Rather then chance damaging the 2 new ones, it's best to change them all.

Another option, if you plug in every night, is to unhook the bad ones and go with 2.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:52 PM   #6
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I can't find the post either, but I know I read it before replacing my house batteries. I KNOW they should always all be replaced at the same time and if some are getting hot that's absolutely must be done, now!

I buy 6-volt golf cart batteries at Costco or Sam's Cub and connect them in pairs. That increases capacity for about $85 each.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:13 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks, palehorse. He mentioned 2, because 2 lose the water faster & get hot. Not certain how old...best guess is 5-6 years.
Those 2 are shorted out internally and are shot.....heading toward complete failure and robbing voltage/power from the other 2 in the bank. This is also very hard on the engine's alternator(Running really HOT, as it is operating at 100% output)......as those 2 are requiring a lot of charging and that is the cause of water loss.
Replace all 4 of them and be done with it..........
Old 12-02-2016, 08:14 PM   #8

At the risk of hijacking this thread, my recently acquired 2014 DS has 8 batteries. All is good now but does the "replace all" apply to all 8 house batteries. That sounds expensive.
cliffj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:25 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffj View Post
At the risk of hijacking this thread, my recently acquired 2014 DS has 8 batteries. All is good now but does the "replace all" apply to all 8 house batteries. That sounds expensive.
Like mentioned above, if they are only a year or two old, and all the others load test good.........it would be OK ro just replace the bad ones.
After use and years have passed with a lot of use, good advice, and to avoid problems down the road, replace them all and take off with a fresh set..............
Those 8 batteries are not expensive........when comparing the cost of them to the cost of your Coach.......
They are your Coachs life line!
Old 12-02-2016, 08:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Also, would appreciate any suggestions on best brands.
I just replaced my four 6 volt house batteries today with Trogan T-105's. I see you're in Rockford. I bought them from Ellis Sales (golf car sales) in Kalamazoo. They were $110 each with your old core. That's a really good price for Trogan batteries. The cheapest battery you'll find will probably be from Sam's Club for about $85.

Trogan probably makes the best deep cycle battery out there. Most Golf car mfg. use them.

It cost me $100 more to replace my batteries with Trogan T-105's versus Sam's brand. Over an estimated life span of 6 years that $100 seems small for the added quality of the Trogan batteries. JMHO
Old 12-02-2016, 08:53 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
I upgraded to Trojan T125s. Here is my update info with wiring diagram.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/upgra...ml#post3358576
Techn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #12
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffj View Post
I've read that replacing part of the battery bank is going to cost you more in the long run. It wears out batteries much faster. Nobody said RVing is cheap.

The way I understand it the way to get the most life out of batteries is to keep the water filled, never let them discharge below 70% and replace all of them at the same time. I have a Trimetric battery monitor to keep track of battery and charging status.

I'll probably look at Trojans next time if I can find a good deal. In addition to quality they have a higher amp hour rating.

Maybe Santa will bring you 8 new batteries next Christmas, that is if you're not on his naughty list.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:15 AM   #13

Thank you.

Thanks all, for the knowledgeable feedback. I knew we would get the right advice here. Rotten red, thanks for the specific info. We're picking up 4 next week.
And, if Santa brings me 8 new batteries, I hope there's a DS attached.
yes, I've been good.
Old 12-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Should consider AGM TYPE batteries and not have to do this ever again.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, advice, battery, replace, replacement