Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Battery replacement possible issue

Okay so it appears I may have created a small problem for myself.. Long story that I will make very short for you..

2003 Dutch Star - Have had almost two weeks. Have made 1 350 mile round trip as a test / shaedown.

Needed to replace House batteries. Tray had some rust. Decided to pull all 6 batteries and clean / re-paint tray. Also some of the wires needed attention / replacing due to corrosion. PRIOR to starting said project I grabbed pencil and paper and made note of all connections to batteries... Evidently, all but one that is. When putting the chassis batteries back in I had / have one red wire that I cannot account for on my drawing. Not sure if it was stacked with others towards the back and I just missed it or what. Bottom line - It was a positive / red cable. Due to it's length there seemed no way it could reach the front positive battery terminal battery so I connected it to the rear (closest to coach).

Following getting the remaining batteries all connected I have tested everything with the exception of the battery boost which I am not sure how to test at this time. All seems okay except for one item that is puzzling me.

On the black panel where you check your tank levels there is also a button to check battery level. If I look at the Inverter remote and it says the batteries are at 100% so does the black panel if I push the button. However, when the inverter remote reads 98% the black panel is giving me a reading of 1/4 for battery level.

Now being the obsessive, paranoid type I am, I am now concerned that I have an issue that I may have created myself that will show up on my next road trip. On the other hand only having the coach for such a short time maybe it is a quirk that it has always had.

Thoughts?
rcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As long as you put red cable to positive that should be OK.
As to the readings on the over head panel for battery read with your coach plugged in to shore power do the led's show full charge all led's lite.
Did you charge all new batteries with a separate 12 V charger?
You may get crazed readings until all batteries are fully charged.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rcatter,
Welcome to the Newmar family. Without knowing the readings before the battery upgrade it is not possible to say if anything is different or incorrect. Like 007 posted, let the batteries get a good full charge (may take a couple of days). Then take your readings. The baseline reading is with a meter to the battery posts.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. I haven't had it plugged into shore power yet. We generally are boondocking or traveling when it is getting charged by the generator.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:54 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
With Gen running plug 12V charger in electric outlet in power bay and charge batteries they will charge faster than using converter.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
With Gen running plug 12V charger in electric outlet in power bay and charge batteries they will charge faster than using converter.
That's good to know. I have never connected a charger to a bank of 4 - 6volt batteries like this so I need to make sure I understand where to connect it.

Thanks for the information