Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2016, 11:18 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Battery System

The battery charge indicator on the overhead panel indicates that the batteries are a 12.4V and 3/4 charged. The RC6 panel says they are on a float charge, and the invertor/convertor system, in the bay says they are in an absorption cycle. Coach has been plugged into 120V for weeks. Does this seem normal?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2016, 11:27 AM   #2

Is RC6 the panel model or the inverter model ?

Just a note though , the original converter on my 99 , was a manual switch to high rate charge model ( Todd ) and some older units required unplugging from shore power to re-set to high rate charging. They would step down to prevent overcharging but wouldn't ramp back up.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:28 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I should have said that the RC6 panel initially said they were on a float charge, but switched over to bulk charge, later. That is where it is now.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I wouldn't worry so much about definitions. The REAL question is how many amps are going in those batts. If they are failing, or under watered and are pulling high amps after a good amount of charging, your batteries may be bad.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 11:35 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Is RC6 the panel model or the inverter model ?

Just a note though , the original converter on my 99 , was a manual switch to high rate charge model ( Todd ) and some older units required unplugging from shore power to re-set to high rate charging. They would step down to prevent overcharging but wouldn't ramp back up.
It's a Trace RV2012 and I believe it is pretty much automatic. When I went out to check for the model, the batter panel on the overhead now says the batteries are at 12.6V. I just thought they should be saying a higher voltage in any charge cycle and the 3/4 charge got my attention... I had already unplugged the system from 120V and left it off for over a minute, then plugged the system back into 120V. Didn't seem to make any changes...
Old 09-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJOL View Post
The battery charge indicator on the overhead panel indicates that the batteries are a 12.4V and 3/4 charged. The RC6 panel says they are on a float charge, and the invertor/convertor system, in the bay says they are in an absorption cycle. Coach has been plugged into 120V for weeks. Does this seem normal?
What happens when you turn on all the lights inside to put a draw on the batteries? I would think it should go off of float into charge but I'm not really familiar with your system to say.

The previous owner of my coach replaced the OEM Magnum converter/inverter with a Progressive Dynamics converter that works like a charm holding the batteries at a constant 13.6 - 13.7 VDC. My coach has been plugged in 24/7 for the past 5+ years and the batteries are as good as new.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:37 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
As Dennis said should be showing charge in the 13 volt range you seem low, here is a link to explain your battery system and you would have a BIRD system to monitor and charge all your batteries both coach and house.
In the links below in my signature has info for inverter/converter systems in QT's # 3.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:01 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the link and info... I printed it out to put in my folder. I went out to check the panel, tonight, and it is reading "float charge" and 12.5V. It just seems that it was higher before, and even when it was "bulk charging." The only maintenance I did on the electrical system, this week, was to turn or the battery switch to "store" a couple of times while working on something. Don't know if this had anything to do with the results I'm seeing now. I will be taking the coach out for 8 days, next week, and should be able to test the system...
Old 09-18-2016, 10:57 PM   #9

JMHO : 12.5 volts isn't really a float charge voltage, should be 13 to 13.2 . I'm thinking your converter/charger has issues. If you have a stand alone battery charger , carry it with you , I had to rely on my 10 amp charger you keep the coach livable for 3 days while waiting for my new C/C to be delivered.

More info on batteries at this site.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Old 09-19-2016, 08:26 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I played with this, yesterday. I completely disconnected from shore power, waited for 5 mins, then turned on the invertor. Everything came up like normal, and I turned on two LCD TVs. The power panel indicated all good, and the batteries indicated 12.5V. I ran this for about 10 mins then connected shore power back up. The power switched over and the invertor went into stby. I turned the invertor off and the panel went into bulk charging and indicated over 13Vs going to the batteries. Stayed this way, for awhile, then went into float charge with over 13Vs. Went back out, a couple of hours later and it was in float charge, but the panel says it is running at 12.5Vs. Maybe this is just normal operation, as the manual says the converter will decrease volts/amps as the batteries come up to full charge. I will just have to watch this, while on the road, this week, and see if anything changes.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:51 PM   #11

If you test voltages, with a voltmeter, at the batteries , with the 12.5 volt reading on your remote panel; do you get the exact same reading ?

Could be just a low reading at the panel .
Old 09-19-2016, 03:22 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
If you test voltages, with a voltmeter, at the batteries , with the 12.5 volt reading on your remote panel; do you get the exact same reading ?

Could be just a low reading at the panel .
Yes... If the panel says 12.5, the voltage at the battery is the same. It is now showing "float charge" and says 13.4 volts on the panel...
Old 09-19-2016, 06:48 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Differing battery types have different float voltages. See if you can set your battery charge controller to "wet cell" and it should float at about 13.2v. If batts are bad, you may not reach this number.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #14

007, thanks for sharing the GREAT link to 12 volt electrical systems. I especially enjoyed the explanation of BIRD vs BIM (I apparently have a BIRD working hard for me even though to this point I've been ignorant of even its existence!). Much appreciated. Gene
gjurrens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery