Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2018, 06:19 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Battery Tender Questions

Our '16 Ventana is equipped with a residential frig and a 4 battery house battery bank (flooded). It is in storage with access to a 15 amp grounded electrical outlet. We purchased a 12 volt Power Tender Plus (Deltran) and hooked it up to the batteries.

Now we are getting ready to take a short trip and need to turn on the residential frig to cool it down. Should we turn on the generator to power the frig for the first few hours? Can the battery tender stay hooked up to power or should it be unplugged while the genny is on?

Once the frig has cooled down, our plan was to turn the genset off and let the frig draw power from the house batteries with the battery tender hooked up.

Does this sound like a good plan or am I about to do something stupid?
Latrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #2

Just plug your coach in to the 15 amp circuit. If you don’t turn on anything but the refer it should charge your batteries and run your refer.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 06:48 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had the 50 amp (through a series of reducers) reduced to a 15 amp plug and tried to do just as you suggested Tigerfan, but wound up with a blown GFI at the outlet and dead batteries. Talked to the storage facility manager and he said they require customers use battery tenders instead of being directly hooked up. The electrical outlet has been recently changed so it's not the outlet.

RV repair tech suggested the method in our original post but he did not inspire confidence.
Latrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:33 PM   #4

Latrice have you tried plugging in with everything off including the refer? If the coach charging system can get past bulk charging it uses less amps when on float charging after the batteries are fully charged. If the breaker still pops when you plug in with fully charged batteries then I guess your only options are what you are currently doing or a 10 amp smart battery charger which would keep up with charging you batteries and hopefully the refer. I have the same battery set up as you and I can go about a day on the house batteries with the refer on and then I fire up the generator while boondocking. If your batteries are fully charged you should be able to cool down the refer without firing up the generator. But if you are there why not run the generator. Many generator problems come from lack of use. I normally unplug when running the generator but probably don’t have to. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:31 PM   #5

Battery Tender Questions

My storage gfi tripped all the time - especially when it rained. Had the owner swap out - still same problem. A year later that outlet was kaput. Swapped with a very old gfi, and this one works like a champ. Electrician told me the old ones were not as sensitive. Now I can run it up to nearly 20 amps (refer, charger, and engine heater) with no issue (I think the EMS is managing the charger in this circumstance).
Old 03-12-2018, 06:30 AM   #6

Previous 30A MH always tripped the storage GFI.
I used 2 batty Minders on house & chassis banks and never had a problem.
Didn't even bother trying the new to us 50A MH just bought a 2-4-8 A batty minder to take care of the 8- 6V GC house bank.
I could easily be wrong but guessed the built in surge protector might be the problem as it went through the analysis of the incoming power.
Any knowledgeable EE folks out there with an informed opinion re: my guess above?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:58 AM   #7

Are your batteries 12 or 6 volt? How many amp hrs? In my Entegra I had 6 , six volt 260 ah batteries with 300 watts of solar on the roof. I would start my fridge at 6:00 pm the night before starting with 13.8 v in the bank. At 7:00 am next day I would have 12.8. Love solar!

Mark
Old 03-12-2018, 07:11 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I too support the "Just plug in"
Deltran battery tenders come in many sizes. Mine can do 70 amps to jump start my car. or 20 to recharge a battery that is seriously hungry (What I needed when I bought it) or 1-2 amps which is NOT enough to keep up with a residential fridge. Nice 100 dollar unit, did the job I bought it for.

2 days later I got a new converter and now it does the job.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:19 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ditto on the 'just plug it in', leave mine plugged in all winter. Battery charger built in works fine as far as I can tell
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery