Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2015, 10:10 AM   #1

Battery Tray

Am I missing a release catch or do I need to lubricate and add more muscle to sliding this out? Am trying to check out the batteries (2) to see what they are and if they need water but am not getting the tray to slide. Any hints? Remember, I'm an older female so be gentle.

Thanks
Kaye

Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
That is for sure a slide it is mounted on. Spray the heck out of them with wd-40 or a silicon oil spray-as far back as you can. Is the black knob the release? Push down and then to the left/right?
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
That is for sure a slide it is mounted on. Spray the heck out of them with wd-40 or a silicon oil spray-as far back as you can. Is the black knob the release? Push down and then to the left/right?

Will go and spray, Nope on the knob, have turned, twisted, pushed, and pulled. Nada, zip, zilch. Also have gotten down and looked under the tray, nothing there that I can see.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2015, 10:50 AM   #4

Hard to tell from the photo but there surely is a lock of some type to prevent the battery tray from sliding out against the door.
Do you have a fellow RVer where you're at that could come and check it out for you?
Side note, the batteries should be checked at least every 6-8 weeks minimum.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #5

Thanks Dennis, no one I'm comfortable with. Yes, I've been very remiss in checking the batteries, but with all the recent posts here about batteries thought I'd better do it. Since an ex had one explode on him years ago I've always been afraid of them. Need to get over it.

Any way, went out to spray the tray with silicon and checked out further, seem that the knob does trip a lever at the very back of tray, crawled way under and have sprayed that as well. Will keep spraying and will post results later.

Just FYI, Have had no problems with batteries, just want to insure I don't.

Thanks again
Old 02-01-2015, 11:16 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Does the tray move at all? The smallest amount? Is the knob mounted to a metal rod and does the rod go under the tray? Spray that area also. After spraying move the tray back and forth while moving the knob every which way. It may be with the tray putting to much drag on the release pin.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 12:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
Thanks Dennis, no one I'm comfortable with. Yes, I've been very remiss in checking the batteries, but with all the recent posts here about batteries thought I'd better do it. Since an ex had one explode on him years ago I've always been afraid of them. Need to get over it.

Any way, went out to spray the tray with silicon and checked out further, seem that the knob does trip a lever at the very back of tray, crawled way under and have sprayed that as well. Will keep spraying and will post results later.

Just FYI, Have had no problems with batteries, just want to insure I don't.

Thanks again
You're on the right track. When you try to open, push on the battery tray and pull on the knob at the same time. This will release the tension on the latch and allow it to release.

No need to be afraid of your batteries. Just a little respect and know that you do not want to make contact from the Positive (Red) post to the Chassis (Ground) which will result in a spark. When you are plugged in to shore power the batteries are charging and giving off Hydrogen Gas which is normal.
If you cause a spark, it will result in an explosion.

So, to be safe, unplug your shore power and wait for 30 minutes or so, then go about your check. If you want to remove cables to clean the terminals, ALWAYS REMOVE THE NEGATIVE (Black) TERMINALS FIRST. By removing the Neg first, there is no chance of a spark. When you go to put them back on, put the Positive on first and then the Negative.
One more tidbit, if you are going to remove cables, take a couple of photos before you start so you have a reference to make sure they go back correctly.

If you are using Baking Soda to clean the terminals, be very careful not to get the Soda near the Cell Covers. Baking Soda in the battery will render it useless.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:59 PM   #8

Ok, I got the tray out and batteries checked. All seems to be good. Did add a small amount of distilled water since they were accessible.

Batteries were two Centennial Deep Cycle GC2200P. Any idea how long these last, unable to determine date on them and I've had the MH about 3 years now.

I do appreciate your all advice.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afubar View Post
Ok, I got the tray out and batteries checked. All seems to be good. Did add a small amount of distilled water since they were accessible.

Batteries were two Centennial Deep Cycle GC2200P. Any idea how long these last, unable to determine date on them and I've had the MH about 3 years now.

I do appreciate your all advice.
Glad to hear it worked out.
With a little care and maintenance, your batteries should last you at least 8-10 years. One of the signs they are on their way out is if you gradually notice having to add more water than normal during your checks. This is a sign they are taking more voltage to maintain full charge and are headed south.

Tags
battery