Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2008, 04:55 PM   #1

I need to have my batterys disconected for bat. tray service, can I leave the coach pluged into shore power while I have this done, I guess I need to protect the cable ends from ground anything else? thanks
dale --o4 kountry star gas coach
crouseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2008, 04:55 PM   #2

I need to have my batterys disconected for bat. tray service, can I leave the coach pluged into shore power while I have this done, I guess I need to protect the cable ends from ground anything else? thanks
dale --o4 kountry star gas coach
Old 04-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #3

Your charger will still charge making that feed into the battery wires still hot. Best bet is to shut it all down, completely, just in case of an accidental arcing which could damage stuff.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #4

thanks Jeff that is what I will do

Dale
Old 04-29-2008, 12:50 AM   #5

I would also like to clean my battery compartment/tray before replacing my four 6 Volt Interstate U2200 house batteries with four 6 volt Lifeline GPL 4CT batteries.

What is the proper (safest) procedure/sequence for disconnecting then reconnecting the chassis and house batteries?

2005 Dutch Star
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:33 AM   #6

First make a map of all wire routing. Take a digital picture works really well too.
I'd remove all the short inter-connects first as they are easy to handle and effectively disconnect the entire bank making the final disconnects simple and clean.
Then pull the chassis ground wire(s) and tape.
Then pull the chassis plus wire(s) and tape.
Then the real fun of cleaning begins..
Old 05-02-2008, 04:23 PM   #7

If someone asked me how to disconnect batteries I would start with:

Disconnect shore power
Shut off generator and disable generator remote start if so equipped
turn off inverter this will not by itself, keep battery from charging
turn off battery switch
turn off engine master switch
disable solar charger, cover solar panel

"When replacing your batteries, remove the negative cable first because this will minimize the possibility of shorting the battery when you remove the other cable. Next remove the positive cable and then the hold-down bracket or clamp. If the hold down bracket is severely corroded, replace it. Dispose the old battery by exchanging it when you buy your new one or by taking it to a recycling center. Please remember that batteries contain large amounts of harmful lead and acid.

Whenever having any welding operation done, you must disconnect the electrical system. Naturally this means the 120 volt shore power, but also any 12 volt systems must be disconnected. Look very carefully at the battery bay. Chances are that the main power leaves the batteries and goes to a master disconnect switch. You may have one switch for the house batteries and another for the chassis batteries. These both need to be in the OFF position before welding on your coach. In addition, there may be certain items connected to the batteries before the disconnect switch. Sometimes larger current loads, such as inverters, are connected prior to the disconnect switch. If you are not sure, remove the negative battery cables. By eliminating any connection to ground, you will break the circuit to these items.
Remember, you need to know this even if you are not planning on doing any welding. Someday you may have a repair done by a service facility and the welder may not understand the importance of this so you'll need to make sure that this is done or else you are in for some more repairs."

Quote from another RV site, Tiffin I believe.

Any additional comments,cautions?

2005 Dutch Star
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote