RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #1

bay door latch

I have a 2003 kountry star dp. the bay door on p/s just in front of rear axle has a defective latch. the latch lifts up with out any resistance, feels like the slide mech is stuck open or something is broken and it is not moving. the compartment is very shallow with a tank behind it. how do i get it open with out tearing something up. I am presently on a trip and all of my tools are in this compartment.
any thoughts would be appreciated.

tireman62075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #2

what type of latch does it have ??? is it the long handle type ,, like a trunk handle on a car ,, or the small turn type ??? from what u said u have i would say it is the hndle type ,, what i would do is see if it just outta adjustment ,, maybe it is not going all the way down on the frame part of the compartment ,, or maybe there is something that has broken off that is not allowing it to latch ,, let us know back on what u find ,, please

tnarvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:44 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds like u have the Trimark brand latches, maybe series 60-400 or 460, where there is a plastic latch piece that often breaks, had this happen to me regularly. If the door opens upward rather than sideways ur in luck.....all u have to do is take a screwdriver or some device that is no larger than a screwdriver and poke upwards between the inside of the door and the door frame to dislodge the plastic latch....Once u have opened the door, remove the whole latch mechanism from the door & replace the broken plastic piece.
Hope this helps????
logansrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:48 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tireman62075 View Post
I have a 2003 kountry star dp. the bay door on p/s just in front of rear axle has a defective latch. the latch lifts up with out any resistance, feels like the slide mech is stuck open or something is broken and it is not moving. the compartment is very shallow with a tank behind it. how do i get it open with out tearing something up. I am presently on a trip and all of my tools are in this compartment.
any thoughts would be appreciated.
tireman, I have a 2005 and I believe we have the same latch. They are available at this website, Products. I had the same problem, but on a pass-through door, so it could be accessed from the inside. If you look from below there should be 2 bolts coming through the floor. Thiese hold a bracket that is used by the latch. If you can remove the bolts the bracket should release the latch.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tireman62075,
In addition to what has been posted, go to logon=
There you'll find the door latch assemblies and individual parts. Based on my coach and looking at the above mentioned URL, what mikelm48 posted is the first try on getting the door open. One will need to clamp down really hard to loosen the bolts. Be prepared to mess up the bolt threads and go to the local hardware store to buy two more bolts.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #6

Thanks for the help. I checked the fastec web site that Mike suggested, there is a latch that looks like mine. ther are 2 bolts sticking thru the floor, will be spraying them with penetrating oil for now, and hope that I wont need the tools inside. When I get home , I will get the vice grips out and see if they will back out. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. What a great web site.
THANKS!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tireman62075 View Post
Thanks for the help. I checked the fastec web site that Mike suggested, there is a latch that looks like mine. ther are 2 bolts sticking thru the floor, will be spraying them with penetrating oil for now, and hope that I wont need the tools inside. When I get home , I will get the vice grips out and see if they will back out. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. What a great web site.
THANKS!
tireman, are your bolts using nuts or clips? I have both I found. I guess worse case you could destroy the clips and either find new ones or use nuts to reassemble.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #8

looking up at the bottom of the bay, they appear to be clips.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #9

I have the Trimark brand latches on my 2001 Monaco Diplomat. They have 2 knurled pins pressed in from each side that are the pivot points for the handle. One of my pins kept falling into the handle making it ready to fall off. I first tried locktight, then JB Weld. After not having sucess I tapped the hole with 12/24 threads, (10/24 is too small) reassembled it and turned in a 12/24 by 1/2" long screw tightening it against the case. It works like new!

larrysedl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door