RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2019, 06:04 PM   #1

Bay Star 2901 floorplan

We had an older Bay Star Sport 2901 for several years - and LOVED IT! It was absolutely perfect for the two of us.

We're ready to get back into RVing and would like to get something very similar in a Class A. If anything we would consider going a bit shorter. But if we did, I think we will lose many of the things we liked. We don't want to go much longer, although a foot or two wouldn't be a deal breaker

What we liked:
-30' was ideal - we won't pull a dingy, so want something nimble.
-Interior height - I'm 6'5" so being able to stand up is a must.
-Full, permanent, walk around queen bed. Anything else would be a significant compromise. We even liked that we could sleep in the bed with the bed slider 'in' in a pinch.
-Excellent use of space. We loved the floorplan - like the fact that the front seats swivelled and became part of the living space.
-Pricepoint. We will buy used this time and want to stay under $100K
-My wife does most of the driving (don't judge) and really liked the big rear window

What we would like to improve on:
-More storage room please.
-More carrying capacity.
-Dinette was really too small for 4 persons, and as a bed - only worked for adult hobbits.

Other than that our unit was perfect.

Can anyone suggest floorplans similar to the 2901, even in other manufacturers? We have seen the 2903 which would also work. I am not stuck on Newmar, although we were completely satisfied with our purchase and the quality/reliability of Newmar.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers!

DrBob7762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2019, 05:22 AM   #2

We're very happy with our Bay Star 3302 and compared to the 2901, you gain some storage space. But, you actually lose cargo capacity in terms of weight. And, I'm not so sure that when you are looking at 30' or shorter motorhomes you're going to gain more dining space except by going with a freestanding table and chairs, which could be a relatively easy modification on any unit you buy. Having owned a Newmar, I don't think you will be happy with a lot of the stuff out there. We narrowed our search down to mainly Newmar, Tiffin and Winnebago/Itasca based upon quality and features we were looking for. If you can be happy with another 2901, that may be the way to go or look at some of the Newmar Bay Stars that are just a bit longer.

Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Many options

I wish you much success in narrowing down your many options. We recently purchased a 2017 Newmar Bay Star 3113. However, our search included a detailed look into many other offerings. We, too, wanted a smaller coach with many of the features you described. We chose Newmar after investigating these other options. For us, the overall feel of the other brands were ruled out primarily because of the reputation for customer service, the lessor quality of cabinets and leather substitutes used, and the fact that most only had one air conditioner in these smaller coaches. Insulation issues were also a consideration. Living in Texas and with plans to travel to warmer destinations, the insulation and air conditioning was a huge consideration. Other than Newmar, and if these other brand differences are not a deal breaker for you, I would suggest looking at the 30ft and under options of Coachman, Forrest River 3 series, and Thor. Interestingly, we also looked close at the smaller Tiffins due to reputation. However, I believe that Tiffin materials looked closer in quality to these other brands than the Newmar. I do notice that even Newmar has quality issues, though. But at least it is better than the others that we saw. The 3113 had the room we needed, the floor plan that best matched our wants, 2 A/C's and was still relatively small. We were going to build but getting the 2017 saved a bit, came with upgraded suspension already installed, and 3 years left on 3 different warranties that the previous owners were able to transfer to us. They through in things like extras that would have been added after market expenses such as electrical cord extensions, cabinet containers, hoses, surge protectors etc. If we ever replace this coach, I would be highly inclined to buy used again. Much success to you as you continue your search.
RoamerDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #4

Are you looking at used or new? There are some nice 30 footers in the BS and BSS line. 3014 comes to mid which I think is available in either line. The BS will give you more storage space I think. The 2019 line of BSS’s have 3-4 in the 31 and below length.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
After visiting the Winnebago, Newmar, and Tiffen factories I knew Newmar made the better RV. With 3" walls the insulation was better, double pane windows, materiel, fit and finish and ability to customize the Bay Star 2901 order, ditto. Plus the 2901 has a 50 degree wheel cut vs 42 for the 22.5" wheeled chassis.

The fully loaded (with 8 specials) $132K 2901 with the HD chassis made the NCCC 3,463 vs 1,700 pounds. I finished the 2901 with the items in the signature plus comfort stuff. I run at the 20,500 GVW and the ride and performance is good. Seven years ago Newmar was building 3 RVs per day so a nice loaded 2901 may be hard to find but worth looking for.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor