Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #225

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bay Star 3113 Owner Mods

There is a power outlet behind the sofa in my coach. I’m using it for a power strip with USB outlets mounted on the floor next to the couch. It took me two years to find it. I have the folding couch with air mattress, and that outlet is a perfect place to plug in the air compressor. I don’t know if that outlet is on every coach or just ones with the air mattress. I was planning to pick up power underneath the sink and use surface raceway, but I found the outlet first. You can’t see the outlet easily unless the couch is open.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2019, 08:45 AM   #226

LED Headlight Upgrade

I posted my LED Headlight upgrade on my 3113 in This Thread if anyone is interested. While I have not had the rig out since (just had a big snow yesterday still), the testing I did (before/after) seems to show a big difference in available light output.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:50 AM   #227

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bay Star 3113 Owner Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedaliaterry View Post
I posted my LED Headlight upgrade on my 3113 in This Thread if anyone is interested. While I have not had the rig out since (just had a big snow yesterday still), the testing I did (before/after) seems to show a big difference in available light output.
There is a shared link bug in the iPhone app.

If the thread link doesn’t work, go to web view.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:53 AM   #228

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2018 Bay Star LED Headlamp Upgrade
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412421

Old 05-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
The wife didn’t like the idea of a table between the front seats, so I decided to build a center console and try to come close to the color of our interior. It isn’t a show piece, or an heirloom, but will hold a couple drinks, has 2 USB charging ports, a tray to hold “stuff”. The tray lifts out allowing you to store things inside. I have it bolted to the engine cover.
Nicely done, I like it, if you haven't seen this on my BSS I made some cabinets that go on the sidewalls for hte driver and passenger (mine didn't have the passenger table thing) which hold speakers for better sound and cup holders and usb chargers.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/bays...os-246582.html

-R
Old 06-23-2019, 04:42 PM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
Wondering if anyone has successfully modified the wood panel on a hinge to extend the driver's seat about 3-4 inches. The big slide hits the back of the chair. 2017x3113
Bill
rhamilton,

Know this is an old post, but I did just get around to doing this Mod myself. It is actually pretty easy. Other posts on the Newmar forum describe it also. While I am not quite 6ft, I have always been somewhat hunched up over the wheel while driving because of this engineering/design flaw (or whatever you wish to call it). No longer. This Mod makes a huge difference for me. I can choose to move the seat back further now and even recline it (some) from forward of vertical now with the slide in.
  • Tools and supplies used: Jigsaw (using a high tooth count wood blade), drill, screw driver, small thin pry bar, glue, 1/4 wood backing (~ size of the trim piece), large foam piece (length of cutout), I used a 36in piano hinge (the trim piece is pretty light so this hinge does not need to be that heavy duty).
  • Carefully pull the front trim piece off. I used a small thin pry bar slowly working my way down the back of the board alternating from side to side. It is stapled from the back through the backing plywood that you will be cutting out a little (there are also a couple glue spots that may pull off a little of the backing so go slow working your thin pry tool under).
  • Once this 45in trim piece is off, decide how much you want to cut out on the plywood backing (note that this is not a structural piece of the slide but rather a backing surface, so the cutout will not cause slide issues IMO). Some people slide the chair back and cutout only the portion where the back of the chair needs to fit. As per the Pics below, I went a little higher with the cut to avoid any potential for banging the back of my head on that wood corner due to some circumstance I don't ever want to see happen. I marked off 3.25in from the edge of the backing for the depth of the cut. I used the drill to drill out the back corners of the cut so I could fit the jigsaw blade in and just cut it out nice and slow. There are no wires back there (its easy to see the cut area from behind).
  • Next decide how you want to deal with the issue. I have read that some people have just mounted good industrial strength velcro to the trim and the backing and just pull the trim off revealing the cutout when traveling, then stick it back on when at the site. In my case, I glued a piece of 1/4in backing wood to the trim piece (the same size as the trim piece) to give the piano hinge more support and screw-in depth. When that dried I attached the piano hinge (bought at Lowes) with the supplied small 3/8in screws to the Trim piece (with the backing now) 1st.
  • Next I held the Trim with the hinge attached up to the backing on the slide where it mounts to determine the best position for coverage of the backing and good hinge operation, then I screwed it to the slide backing. Note that you may also need to sand the top/bottom of the Trim piece to make sure it will swing as freely as you want on the hinge in the opening (I left it a little tight so it closes snuggly without need of magnets or some other latching. Next I glued the large piece of foam rubber I bought (per pic) onto back of the hinged Trim piece to replace the slide seal foam that was removed with the cut.
Took 2.5hrs, but I go slow.

Many thanks to the other posts from members for their descriptions/ideas on how they solve this annoying issue.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2019, 06:31 AM   #231

suspension upgrades

Sedaliaterry, thank you for the fix on the seat.
I see you have done many steering and handling fixes. What do you think made the biggest difference?
rhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:34 AM   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhamilton View Post
Sedaliaterry, thank you for the fix on the seat.
I see you have done many steering and handling fixes. What do you think made the biggest difference?
rhamilton,

We had a pretty bad scare in the rig during my wife's 1st ride in it after initial pick-up, where a cross wind had almost put us in the ditch. I was even ready for it and it was almost uncontrollable.

Even before the RV purchase I had done a lot of reading (and discussion with the wife) about the F-53 handling issues and the various steps to try to whittle them down (nothing will make it drive like a pusher with air).

So after the white knuckle change your drawers event happened, the wife looks over at me with wide eyes and says, "You know all those handling modifications we discussed, get them, order them tonight".

Note I do everything DIY to save $$ and buy specialized tools to work on more stuff. This is pretty much the order I took, but obviously folks have different tolerances and opinion on driving performance so go as far as you want, in the order you want, and stop when YOU are comfortable with your rig. Note that some are happy and comfortable with their rig without anything.
  • Recommended start with the CHF on the rear (easy DIY). You can do the front also but extended Links will be needed for proper position (check out TeJay's posts on this if you go this route).
  • In my case I elected to add the larger front Road Master (RM) Sway-Bar (replacing the OEM SB).
  • At same time I added a Safe-T-Plus Steering Stabilizer (mostly for blow-out assistance should it happen, but I feel it has helped with road ruts grabbing the wheels and jerking me around).
  • As has been recommended, I next had the rig aligned by the dealer I bought it from. There was some minor adjustment, but they actually induced another issue that they claimed they do not adjust as part of the alignment and that was that the steering wheel was now off-center. I figured out how to fix it myself after much arguing with them (I did a write-up on this).
  • Still had sway in back so next I added the rear RM Sway-Bar (which is in addition to the OEM SB). Still was some rockin back and forth, but this helped.
  • Next I did the Super-Steer Trak-Bar which locked down the side shift push nicely.
  • Next I added Koni FSD shocks. I noticed the almost new OEM Gas Bilsteins shot up to full extension very quickly when I took the top bolt out. IMO, this kinda tells me there is not much dampening in these shocks on that upward stroke. The Koni's really helped smooth things out IMO, even making for a much quieter ride IMO. Note that other folks have had similar luck replacing with different model Bilsteins or using lower cost Monroe's.
  • Next I added the Centramatic wheel balancers when I had some longer valve stems put on the wheels (while they had them off). This helped even more to smooth things out (very smooth feel in steering wheel now).
  • Still not totally happy with the side-side roll of the rig, the last thing I added was Sumo Springs. I did the fronts which were easy, but had the rears done because the tires had to come off (and I did not want to wrestle them).

My rig feels nice and tight IMO now. I can handle pretty decent cross winds, don't feel passing big trucks hardly at all, and for a beast, it corners decently. Runs pretty smooth down the road (again for a beast).

Hope this helps.

Terry
Old 06-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #233

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I’ve done all those suspension mods except the Sumo springs.

Do you think they will make a major difference, and did they make the ride any harsher?

Old 06-24-2019, 03:58 PM   #234

Hey knightstorm,

I was looking for the firm solid ride. I did not like the lean for a rig that size in the corners (even after the initial mods). AFA harsh ride, IMO they do not, but I have read where others feel that they do. Its a personal call (and unfortunately not all that cheap).

One thing I can offer is if you happened to be in my neck of the woods (Denver area) sometime, we could go for a ride. PM me if interested.

Terry
Old 06-24-2019, 05:23 PM   #235

Great job. We did the same on our 2017 Baystar 3013. My wife came up with our piano hinge idea. So much more comfortable to drive.
Ranger John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:26 PM   #236

Do you have a photo of your center console in place inside your coach?
Ranger John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:16 PM   #237

Here is a pic. Is it the folding table you are interested in? It works well for us. Usually my area to work from when we are parked somewhere. Have also used it as additional dining area. Use to be too hot up there when it was sunny on the front side before we got the MagnaShade.
Attached Images

Old 06-25-2019, 05:17 AM   #238

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bay Star 3113 Owner Mods

Post 219 in the current thread.

These threads covers the console table in greater detail:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/fold...le-305817.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/cock...le-411417.html

The table top design was changed for 2018. They made it narrower, which trades ease of seat entry/exit for table space.

Here’s the Google search syntax:

bay star cockpit table site=:irv2