Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2019, 09:47 PM   #1

Bay Star 3124 FWS

I have searched full wall slide issues for this particular situation with our 2019 Bay Star 3124 and was unsuccessful. We were getting ready to leave our camp site yesterday and started to retract the full wall slide. It came in about five inches and then stopped. I was able to extend it out but had the same result when I tried to retract. Checked in the storage areas for any obstructions from stored items but didn't see anything. I tried to retract again and was able to fully retract but heard something like scraping plastic from the rear area of the slider.

I took the rig to my local RV service center and found that the plastic scraping sound was the 2 1/4" (not sure of actual size) length of black drain pipe that is used to house wiring for the rear of the full wall slide. The pipe is guided by two metal housings about eight inches apart and apparently not aligned properly. This caused enough binding to stop the motor during retraction.

Anyone had this occur with their rig? Thinking about a good way to fix this problem for good. Right now, I cleaned the outside of the pipe and will spray some dry lubricant on it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2019, 10:14 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
3124 bs

Thanks for the heads up on the FWS, just bought a 3124 BS in SoCal myself. One trip out but no slide issues. In our case, the house batteries were DOA. The plastic pipe you mentioned, is it visible from under the slide when extended or from the other side?
John
jl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2000 View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the FWS, just bought a 3124 BS in SoCal myself. One trip out but no slide issues. In our case, the house batteries were DOA. The plastic pipe you mentioned, is it visible from under the slide when extended or from the other side?
John
It is visible when the slide is extended when you look at the left rear. I sprayed some dry lubricant on it this weekend and it had no problem retracting but I will have my service people look at it this week. I took some pictures and I will attach them in a few days. I think I am having a problem with my house batteries (Interstate) too because I turned on the refrigerator (propane) Wed afternoon and Friday morning the house batteries were at 8.8 volts. I will have those checked this week too.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:43 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your extending and closing your FWS with the coach plugged in or Gen running slides need a good 12v to operate,do not operate on just batteries alone or you will run into problems.
Slide information is found in this link from this sticky.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:08 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
FWS (and batteries)

Follow up on the FWS - will check it out when I pick it up from dealer. I made the first trip the week I picked it up and noticed the house batteries immediately went to less than 10v after having my fridge on propane. Something definitely wrong here, and will let you know what they find. May open another thread on here to discuss the really low battery readings, but chances are the house batteries were damaged due to excessive discharge. Thanks for the tip "007", I always have it plugged in or generator running, because those motors can pull weak batteries down.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:12 AM   #6

Me too. I have always had either the generator running or plugged in when activating the sliders. The problem retracting was the pipe binding on the two guides.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:43 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bay Star 3124 FWS

Dealer called me to confirm that my FWS is denting or leaving impressions on the floor. They are getting authorization from Newmar to repair. Not sure what they will do to correct the roller denting the floor.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:11 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your motors are not running off your batteries when plugged in or Gen running.
The converter is supplying the good 12v for motors and your FWS has two of them in-sink by this control.
The link is from this one.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:56 PM   #9

Quote:
I picked it up and noticed the house batteries immediately went to less than 10v after having my fridge on propane.
You've got a propane frig in your Bay Star? Mine came with a Whirlpool residential frig and it runs off the inverter. I didn't know propane frigs were an option. Just curious.
mvintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvintx View Post
You've got a propane frig in your Bay Star? Mine came with a Whirlpool residential frig and it runs off the inverter. I didn't know propane frigs were an option. Just curious.
Did you buy it new with that refrigerator?
Old 11-08-2019, 07:17 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, mine came with the propane fridge. We boondock occasionally, so it's a good fit for us. The downside to the propane fridge is that they only install the (2) 12v house batteries under the hood.
-John
Old 11-08-2019, 10:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Dealer called me to confirm that my FWS is denting or leaving impressions on the floor. They are getting authorization from Newmar to repair. Not sure what they will do to correct the roller denting the floor.

Newmar will provide you with hard plastic floor protectors that you put down before bringing in the FWS. These protect the flooring. According to Newmar, these are provided in each new coach but many transport companies or dealers discard them. We have 5 of these for our 3124!
blangton is offline   Reply With Quote