RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2019, 06:40 PM   #1

Bay star 3401 battery monitor install

I am looking at installing a Victron 712 bums in my coach. The problem is that my 2 batteries are in the engine compartment and for the life of me, I cant see a real amazing place to mount the shunt. Has anyone on the forum done this install? Any idea where a good place to put the shunt might be? The other thing that seems a bit weird is that both negative battery connections have multiple connections. I know that works, but it means that all of those wires need to reach the shunt. Any ideas?

Joe

Bay star 3401 without the residential fridge.

CacherCar54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is not so weird that the negatives have multiple connections. It is wrong and you should fix it, but almost every RV comes this way.

As for shunt, I have never seen the coach you have, but anywhere it can physically fit and be secure should be fine. I am surprised that the house batteries are with the engine. That's new to me.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:47 AM   #3

On gas coaches with residential refers, Newmar installs 4 GC batteries in the battery tray and then has cobbled together an additional battery mount in front of the Ford engine. That mount has an additional 2 GC batteries on it. The front batteries block a good bit of the radiator and oil cooler. Not very well thought out or engineered. There are many POS and NEG cable connections. I haven't traced them all down yet.
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:08 AM   #4

On my Bay Star Sport, the engine battery as well as both house batteries are in the engine compartment. JFYI.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #5

As the Victron manual states, the two batteries that you want to monitor should be wired to the shunt and from there to the house. The various connections could either be combined at the shunt (overwhelming if possible at all) or combined at an adequate busbar. So the sequence would be NEG battery to shunt to busbar to house.
guten tag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, install, monitor