Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2017, 07:10 AM   #1

Bay Star 3403 vs Bay Star Sport 3306

For all you Newmar owners; is it worth a $20K difference going to a new Bay Star vs the Bay Star Sport? They both have 2 A/C (impt), and I realize the Bay Star is a "step up" cosmetically as well as chassis (22,000 vs 20,500) and tires (19.5 vs 22.5). I like both plans, but trying to justify $20K more......am I missing an important element (resale, better build components, appliances, etc) I don't see trading the unit for a long time if ever.....thanks for your input......The Bay Star has a more substantial look because of the bigger tires, etc. but don't know if that will move me to throw $20K more at a MH.....
Perhaps you have info I don't when doing your analysis and homework...thanks
Marinaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2017, 07:32 AM   #2

We had what might be a unique situation when we were looking. Our floor plan was identical in both Bay Star and Bay Star Sport. We opted for the sport mainly because the Sport would fit into our existing car port. There wasn't a lot of options on the Bay Star that we were willing to pay more for. We were not prepared to pay more for the different lighting, and having bigger tires was a who cares. It would be nice if the outside storage bins on the Sport opened like the bigger brother but not worth the price.

We have had some issues with the unit but none due to it being a Sport. We would make the same decision again. I don't know about the 2017's but if you can get a better radio in the Sport get one.

If you have not already done so get ahold of the order sheets from Newmar or dealer and compare options along with the price to help with your decision.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:19 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Baystar 3403 vs Baystar Sport 3306

We are new to this Forum. We placed our order for a Baystar Sport 3013 on Thursday. It is due May 1. One thing that I liked about the Sport vs the Baystar is the more subdued interior. We chose Fossil which is a little more subdued than the choices on the Baystar.
The Sport does have a smaller microwave than the Baystar. We upgraded to a 30" microwave which will suit me better.
I think either one is a very good choice.
Tomorrow we bring our 2013 Phoenix Cruiser to the dealer and then the long wait begins. Very excited.

Judi
gradyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #4

If it were me, I would sit down and go over the Standard Equipment on both. other than the obvious differences on the chassis and tire size (they say the 22.5 will give you a better ride). We have a 2014 Bay Star on the 20,500 chassis with 19.5 tires. We have no problem with the ride or the handling. By looking at what is standard .vs. optional on both, you can determine if you will be happy with the Sport model. If in comparing both, you may realize that there are options that you want to add to the Sport, that are included in it's bigger brother, you may be better off with the regular Bay Star. They are both built on the same line by the same people, using the same methods. So I guess the answer is.... it depends.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
We had what might be a unique situation when we were looking. Our floor plan was identical in both Bay Star and Bay Star Sport. We opted for the sport mainly because the Sport would fit into our existing car port. There wasn't a lot of options on the Bay Star that we were willing to pay more for. We were not prepared to pay more for the different lighting, and having bigger tires was a who cares. It would be nice if the outside storage bins on the Sport opened like the bigger brother but not worth the price.

We have had some issues with the unit but none due to it being a Sport. We would make the same decision again. I don't know about the 2017's but if you can get a better radio in the Sport get one.

If you have not already done so get ahold of the order sheets from Newmar or dealer and compare options along with the price to help with your decision.
Thanks for the input.........what types of issues are you having......hopefully not major build related issues as we believe Newmar is the best made of the lot.......Thanks
Old 01-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
If it were me, I would sit down and go over the Standard Equipment on both. other than the obvious differences on the chassis and tire size (they say the 22.5 will give you a better ride). We have a 2014 Bay Star on the 20,500 chassis with 19.5 tires. We have no problem with the ride or the handling. By looking at what is standard .vs. optional on both, you can determine if you will be happy with the Sport model. If in comparing both, you may realize that there are options that you want to add to the Sport, that are included in it's bigger brother, you may be better off with the regular Bay Star. They are both built on the same line by the same people, using the same methods. So I guess the answer is.... it depends.
Thanks.........theyre both existing inventory so pretty much have to live with what they have.......it will boil down to test driving and putting the slides in an getting a feel for both I'm sure.........$20K is a lot of fuel!!
Old 01-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinaboy View Post
Thanks.........theyre both existing inventory so pretty much have to live with what they have.......it will boil down to test driving and putting the slides in an getting a feel for both I'm sure.........$20K is a lot of fuel!!
Don't know where you register but in BC we add 12% sales tax to that 20K so the real difference would be 22,400. That's another $2400 in fuel
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinaboy View Post
Thanks for the input.........what types of issues are you having......hopefully not major build related issues as we believe Newmar is the best made of the lot.......Thanks
It's not a long list, but should not have happened.

1. They forgot to install the optional rear window which was on order sheet. They made it good.
2. They failed to install a floor heat register. Fixed it.
3. Install of Durashield front end protector was crummy. Fixed it.

A few miscellaneous items that don't amount to much but getting dealer to fix them under warranty has been exasperating. A common complaint for all brands.

The folks at Bewmar have been good to work with and very responsive.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote