Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2022, 07:13 PM   #1

Bay Star 3626 Tail Light Problem

While on a recent trip we noticed the coach did not have any tail/stop/turn signal lights. The toad's were working. Checked the under the dash fuses and they looked okay. Couldn't find or get into the under the hood fuse box.

Headed toward the next city to see if we could get into a Ford dealership for repair. While parking noticed coach lights were working again. Skipped the Ford dealership (they were closed) and continued on with lights working (500+ mi). Made the turn toward home (400 mi to go) and noticed back end wasn't working again.

My plan is to find/get into the fuse box under the hood before going to the dealership.

Other than a bad fuse/ground...what else could cause the loss of all rear lights?

Anyone experience a similar issue?

BTW...it is under warranty. The dealer made it clear that if they decide it is a Newmar issue and not a Ford issue we would foot the bill for the diagnostic...which is why I'm going to check the fuses first.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2022, 10:47 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbie View Post
While on a recent trip we noticed the coach did not have any tail/stop/turn signal lights. The toad's were working. Checked the under the dash fuses and they looked okay. Couldn't find or get into the under the hood fuse box.

Headed toward the next city to see if we could get into a Ford dealership for repair. While parking noticed coach lights were working again. Skipped the Ford dealership (they were closed) and continued on with lights working (500+ mi). Made the turn toward home (400 mi to go) and noticed back end wasn't working again.

My plan is to find/get into the fuse box under the hood before going to the dealership.

Other than a bad fuse/ground...what else could cause the loss of all rear lights?

Anyone experience a similar issue?

BTW...it is under warranty. The dealer made it clear that if they decide it is a Newmar issue and not a Ford issue we would foot the bill for the diagnostic...which is why I'm going to check the fuses first.
Sounds a lot like the PDM issue Freightliner has been dealing with for years on the diesel chassis. They say internal solder joints are failing, but the rear light issue is intermittent. I would check the wires going in and out of your fuse box where the rear lights feed. Also, make sure the blade fuses are nice and tight.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 12:26 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Uh Tomato, it's a Bay Star so it is a Ford chassis. PDM was my first thought also but realized it was a gasser. It sure sounds like a ground issue to me. The fact that they quit, then worked, then quit again point that way. I would start checking at all the connections then for a ground that may be loose or corroded. If it is a broken ground wire it will be hard to trace. I know that may not be something you want to deal with but bad ground is the most common reason for rear light problems on gas motorhomes.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 01:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
Uh Tomato, it's a Bay Star so it is a Ford chassis. PDM was my first thought also but realized it was a gasser. It sure sounds like a ground issue to me. The fact that they quit, then worked, then quit again point that way. I would start checking at all the connections then for a ground that may be loose or corroded. If it is a broken ground wire it will be hard to trace. I know that may not be something you want to deal with but bad ground is the most common reason for rear light problems on gas motorhomes.
I realize that. That is why I said it was "a lot like..." Good point on a potential ground issue.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 12:58 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions. Away from the coach for a week or so.......the fun will begin when I get back....lol.

Does anyone know if the ground can be attached to frame anywhere along the line or is it an industry standard to have it in a particular place? Spoke to Ford advisor....he said what is dropped off at Newmar as a 'stripped F53 chassis' does not always come out with the same fuse assignments.
Old 04-18-2022, 04:26 PM   #6

Check to see if there is any water/corrosion in any of the tail lights. I had water in one of mine that was causing weird issues with lights and cruise control disengaging.
mgtibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 04:45 PM   #7

There is most likely a Ford provided connector on the rear frame rail where Newmar connects the wiring that goes the last few feet to the rear cap lights. That would be my starting point to troubleshoot, could be a improperly seated connector or similar.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
There is most likely a Ford provided connector on the rear frame rail where Newmar connects the wiring that goes the last few feet to the rear cap lights. That would be my starting point to troubleshoot, could be a improperly seated connector or similar.
I agree with this.

On an earlier model F53 chassis motorhome I had, the brake light fuse blew due to a short in the tow dolly wiring. That prevented the cruise control from working as well as not allowing the transmission selector to come out of park (all of these features rely on the brake light circuit as a trigger).
jaydee325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 11:23 PM   #9

Update

Took our BS to the Ford dealer. While doing the light check before pulling out...the lights were working!! They had it for 2 weeks and were unable to duplicate the problem. No trouble codes generated. Did read a post on FB for same year and model with the exact same problem. The owner said Ford couldn't find the problem with their coach. They took it to a RV service center who discovered a faulty multi directional switch and a stressed flasher relay. Since Ford couldn't duplicate the problem they won't replace anything.

We have an appt at a Newmar service center in 2 weeks for a few other "minor" problems. Maybe they help find the problem.

Tags
light, problem