Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Bay Star Backup/Side Camera Monitor

I am wondering if any other Bay Star owners (don't know about Canyon Star) feel that the orientation of the monitor for backup/side cameras is hard to use on the road. The monitor is located on the centerline of the dash and faces straight back. I feel it is hard to get a quick look without spending too much time with eyes off the road. I know the DPs have the monitor closer to the driver and angled for better viewing.

Has anyone come up with a solution? Is there a way to add additional monitor that could be put in better location?
claytondl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2018, 06:03 PM   #2

Noticed this too. While I use the mirrors when driving, it's still hard to see the monitor when backing up. I'm guessing Newmar thought it would be better to angle it at 90 degrees so the passenger can see it too and keep an eye on things

In any case, I searched for angled mounts with no luck. The monitor is only 1.25 inches deep according to the specs I found. Maybe remove the monitor, cover the hole with something and bolt an external articulating mount? Just musing out loud.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:17 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 2017 models don’t have that problem. For some reason Newmar changed this for 2018.

The Canyon Star and Diesels still have the display angled to the driver.

Here’s someone who went the extra mile with their monitor mod:

Installing a Wireless Co-Pilot Monitor - Mike Mas
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375849

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:09 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Newmar offers a panel, p/n 140360 that might work. I was about to order it but cannot get any detailed info about the degree to which it angles the display toward the driver.
Has anyone tried it?
Frankg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can find a photo of that panel on ComNet or in this photo gallery. https://www.newmarcorp.com/gas-motor...-star/gallery/
You may already have this style panel, but the photos should help.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #6

MAYBE...they will fix that issue with the new dash coming in the 2021 Bay Star models?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera