Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2020, 07:56 PM   #1

Bay Star Batteries not charging from genny or shore

Hi all.
I'm brand new here and have a question that I'm sure will seem obvious.
We've bought a 2018 Bay Star 3401.
We plan to go full time so made a few changes.
We bought 4 Lion Safari UT 1300 batteries to replace the 4 lead acid.
I replaced the progressive dynamics PD9200 charger converter with a Progressive Dynamics PD9145ALV 12V Lithium Ion Battery Converter/Charger.
I didn't test the old system but the new set up does not charge the batteries with 50amp shore power or with generator running.
It does charge from the engine running, I see a positive in amp usage whilst driving.
I'm using Victron BMV-712. I installed this battery monitor system and it shows state of charge slowly dwindling. Currently 46% with 1d 11h remaining whilst on shore power! -7amp -101W which seems to match current consumption, no pun intended.
The output from the charger is 14.2V, the house batteries with shore power show 14.2V, the chassis battery with shore power shows 14.2V both with voltmeter. when shore power is removed they drop to 13.7V.
What am I missing????
I can't find any tripped CB or blown fuses.
I hope someone can help, we're on our 2 day shake-down flight before we set sail.
This might sound stupid but... battery disconnect is on, red light on. If I turn off battery disconnect amp draw drops to -0.6A and power 10w. All the lights go out but microwave and fridge stay on with or without inverters on. No interior 12V powered items work.
Many thanks in advance.
Jools
j7ols is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2020, 09:45 PM   #2

Is the battery monitor configured for lithium batteries ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:45 AM   #3

Yes, have set as per their recommendation for battle born with small change to 420Ah for my 4 x 105Ah batteries. Peukert, discharge floor and efficiency changed.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:55 AM   #4

Based on what you're seeing it appears the charging system is working. It seems that the output of your converter is bypassing the BMV-712 shunt. Assuming the shunt is on the negative side of the battery bank, I would trace the negative cable from the converter to make sure it is not bypassing the shunt via a chassis ground or other path.
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #5

Thank you Steve-W.
I agree. I checked the batteries this morning, I forgot they have a small LED panel on them, all at 100%.
There are several -VE cables off the battery bank that disappear back into the bowels. I did put the shunt on the obvious one that went to chassis but I'm pretty sure there are at least a couple of others.
If I can determine that one of those connects to the converter I should divert it to the load side of the shunt?
Thanks for your help!
Old 09-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-W View Post
Based on what you're seeing it appears the charging system is working. It seems that the output of your converter is bypassing the BMV-712 shunt. Assuming the shunt is on the negative side of the battery bank, I would trace the negative cable from the converter to make sure it is not bypassing the shunt via a chassis ground or other path.
Appreciate the assistance!
Old 09-24-2020, 06:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by j7ols View Post
Thank you Steve-W.
I agree. I checked the batteries this morning, I forgot they have a small LED panel on them, all at 100%.
There are several -VE cables off the battery bank that disappear back into the bowels. I did put the shunt on the obvious one that went to chassis but I'm pretty sure there are at least a couple of others.
If I can determine that one of those connects to the converter I should divert it to the load side of the shunt?
Thanks for your help!
All negative cables MUST be connected to the load side of the shunt in order for the monitor to function correctly.
Steve-W is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, bay star, charging