Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2018, 05:51 PM   #1

Bay Star/Bay Star Sport opinions?

I'm seeing a lot of info on the larger Newmar models. Anyone full-timing in a Star/Sport? What's the general consensus of Newmar's smaller, gas-powered offerings?
Allentc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2018, 09:33 PM   #2

I have a Bay Stra 32 ft. We dont full time but ive put 15k on it in a year and a half. We like it. Its our first motorhome. Always remember the stuff used in the big DPs are the same as the gassers built on the same line.
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:20 PM   #3

https://weretherussos.com
The Russos used to full time in a 30' Bay Star Sport. Since then they've gone down to a travel van.
WhatsHisName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:45 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Look for the youtube channel "Gene's Therapy". He fulltimes in a bay star, and loves it.

When I think about the idea of keeping our Bay Star to fulltime (or really probably just snowbird) later on, the major contraints I see are size, engine noise, and drivability. If those aren't a problem for someone, then I think it's a great coach for extended living.

As "We're the Russos" demonstrate, there are those who can easily live in 32 feet of space or even less. For me, I want a proper office desk with dual monitors and a proper office chair. So I'm thinking we're in the 37- or 40-foot range.

I've complained before about engine noise, particularly in the mountains, and for this reason alone we'll go DP. But for folks in the flats, or those who aren't bothered by the noise, going gasser saves a fair bit of money all aound.
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:19 AM   #5

We've been full time in our 2018 Bay Star 3113 since December 8th. We really like it, save for a few things.

The overall quality and workmanship is pretty high. We refer to it as our "Mini Dutch Star." If you can swing it, get a 24k chassis. We did and we love it. Still a bit short of 22,000 lbs but nice to know we can load up another 2000 if we wanted.

The bad? The shower control sucks. Wish we had a big pantry but that's a 3113 thing. That's about it. Bathroom is small but big enough and I'm a big guy. Kitchen doesn't have much counter space but even big luxury DP's often have small kitchens.

We're happy and would do it all over again.

BTW, we've got several videos on our Bay Star on our YouTube channel and we'll be making more. Search Dan & Jen Nevada.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #6

We're snowbirding for about 6 months in our Baystar 3401. We like it a lot. I do wish we'd gotten the 24K chassis or maybe even the Canyon Star just for the ability to carry more "stuff".
Old 01-29-2018, 12:57 PM   #7

This 24K chassis is an option?

I am bouncing back and forth between getting a TT or getting a class A. My one concern with the class A is being able to get off the asphalt. I’ll look up these videos but have any of you all strayed off the pavement in one of these things?
Old 01-29-2018, 01:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentc2 View Post
This 24K chassis is an option?

I am bouncing back and forth between getting a TT or getting a class A. My one concern with the class A is being able to get off the asphalt. Iíll look up these videos but have any of you all strayed off the pavement in one of these things?
It's not an official option and I've been told that it's something Newmar does for customers of top selling dealers. Can't verify that but I know some have been approved and others haven't.

As far as getting off road, a class A probably can't get to as many places as a TT or 5th wheel but we've be scouting boondocking spots and we've seen plenty of class A's, old and new, gas and diesel, long and short. Friday we're going boondocking . Just take it slow and watch the tail drag.

You want some proof, check out Wheelingit.us. Paul and Nina have taken there 40 foot DP boondocking all over...besides, their blog is a great resource for all things full time.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:49 PM   #9

Essentially Newmar uses the longest wheel bases and heaviest chassis in comparable units. If you are going gas they are a very good choice.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 02:30 PM   #10

Yeah, in my quest for a full-time nomading device I've limited myself to approximately 30' (when it comes to Class As). Budget limits me to gas. I was told early on that in that range/type, the three to look at were Winnebago, Tiffin, and Newmar.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:28 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I boondock for 5-6 months a year, and it took a bunch of additional money to make a new Bay Star meet my standards for comfort, reliable, and hassle free camping. I drive on gravel and dirt trails to get to sites where I want to spend some time and the 30' Bay Star on the upgraded chassis I ordered handle the challenges well.

Mfgrs seem to build motor homes to be plugged in and keep to smooth interstates when traveling. If I were to spend $600K+ I guess I might think that way too. But, when you have solar, big battery bank and inverter/chgr, plus remodeled galley for food prep, dining from the most comfortable seats, a recliner for up to 2 hr naps (and in the sweet spot for 5.1 sound system) you may be tempted to camp where the 4 legged critters come closer to you than other parked RVs.

There lots of ways to go camping and you have to figure out what fits you by trying things out.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentc2 View Post
Yeah, in my quest for a full-time nomading device I've limited myself to approximately 30' (when it comes to Class As). Budget limits me to gas. I was told early on that in that range/type, the three to look at were Winnebago, Tiffin, and Newmar.
I can tell you based on our research that Winnebago makes a good MH but their floor plans, especially the shorter Vista LX models, are limited and don't offer the room you get in a Bay Star.

The 30T is very similar to our 3113 but the shower is tiny (25x30) and it only offers a queen bed. We liked the floor plan but just too many shortcomings.

Tiffins are nice and have 31 and 32 foot models but they are priced like Canyon Stars. But if they are in your budget, well worth looking at.

Bay Star has 4 33 foot and below models (Bay Star Sport just isn't full time worthy IMHO) and are comparable to Tiffin but at $20-30k less.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:09 PM   #13

A local dealer has a 3124 that has caught my fancy.....if I went this route (the Class A) I wouldn't be looking to get one for a year or two, but it never hurts to look, right? LOL
Old 01-29-2018, 08:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes2901 View Post
I boondock for 5-6 months a year, and it took a bunch of additional money to make a new Bay Star meet my standards for comfort, reliable, and hassle free camping. I drive on gravel and dirt trails to get to sites where I want to spend some time and the 30' Bay Star on the upgraded chassis I ordered handle the challenges well.

Mfgrs seem to build motor homes to be plugged in and keep to smooth interstates when traveling. If I were to spend $600K+ I guess I might think that way too. But, when you have solar, big battery bank and inverter/chgr, plus remodeled galley for food prep, dining from the most comfortable seats, a recliner for up to 2 hr naps (and in the sweet spot for 5.1 sound system) you may be tempted to camp where the 4 legged critters come closer to you than other parked RVs.

There lots of ways to go camping and you have to figure out what fits you by trying things out.
We're doing the same. Getting our 3113 ready to boondock. But the coaches shortcomings aren't just a Newmar or a Class A thing. Most RV's aren't ready for extended camping with no hookups. But our Bay Star is a nice start.

Might have to upgrade the batteries, add solar, install a battery monitor, etc., but at least we've got decent size tanks and we don't have to swap out all the lights for LED's