Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2021, 10:39 AM   #1

Bay Star Bedroom Slide Tilt

The bedroom slide on our 2019 Bay Star slide-out appears to have tilted. See attached photo. In the closed position, the top of the gap on the right-hand side is wider at the top than at the bottom and wider than the top of the gap on the left-hand side which in turn is narrow at the top than at the bottom. Meanwhile, the top and bottom horizontal gaps remain even. Which seems strange if in fact the whole slide-out has in fact tilted.
This situation appeared about a month ago and has not worsened, or resolved itself. So far, the slide still goes in and out as we travel from campground to campground.
We are currently traveling through the wilds of New England so have not been able to take the rig to a Newmar dealer for adjustment however, we will be in Maryland in mid-August and have set up an appointment at a Newmar dealership there to resolve the problem.
Question - adjusting the slide up or down or from side to side I assume is relatively easy, can it be adjusted to remove this apparent tilt?

Thanks for any input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EC65340C-5615-465C-A484-91B67074E49F.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	336939  
mwd1508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 06:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwd1508 View Post
The bedroom slide on our 2019 Bay Star slide-out appears to have tilted. See attached photo. In the closed position, the top of the gap on the right-hand side is wider at the top than at the bottom and wider than the top of the gap on the left-hand side which in turn is narrow at the top than at the bottom. Meanwhile, the top and bottom horizontal gaps remain even. Which seems strange if in fact the whole slide-out has in fact tilted.
This situation appeared about a month ago and has not worsened, or resolved itself. So far, the slide still goes in and out as we travel from campground to campground.
We are currently traveling through the wilds of New England so have not been able to take the rig to a Newmar dealer for adjustment however, we will be in Maryland in mid-August and have set up an appointment at a Newmar dealership there to resolve the problem.
Question - adjusting the slide up or down or from side to side I assume is relatively easy, can it be adjusted to remove this apparent tilt?

Thanks for any input.
We have the exact same problem with our brand new 2021 Bay Star 3014 never been on one trip. It's been at NIRVC for the last 6 weeks trying to repair all the sloppy work Newmar delivered it with to NIRVC.
They also delivered it knowing there was an active recall for the rear-end from Ford not sure when that will be fixed since Ford doesn't have the parts to do the repairs. Then it's our water heater door sticking out so far the wind catches it making it flap hoping it doesn't bend or get yanked off.
First photo is our slide.
2nd is what the water heater door should look like.
3rd. Is what our looks like.
There was another 13 items
Newmar also stripped out all the screws except for 3 that hold the entry door on to the coach.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210723_184903vf0.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	337017   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1627010670903.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	337018  

Name:	20210506_150846.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	337019   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210508_135447.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	337020  

yellow73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 05:36 PM   #3

Wow - and I thought that I had a problem with my almost 3 year old Bay Star! Nothing compared to your experience. We have had a number of minor issues since buying the rig new in 2019 but to be fair Newmar, either at the factory or via reimbursement while we have been on the road, have always come through (including replacing all the furniture fabric notwithstanding that the coach was out of warranty).

Good luck in getting your unit fixed. I hope that you will soon get to enjoy the open road.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwd1508 View Post

Thanks for any input.
My 2017 BSS looks the same way. I believe it is the topper awning pulling the top of the slide over that way as it winds in. You can stand on a ladder and push the top of the slide over to make the gap more even but it's not causing any issues the way it is as long as the slide edges aren't hitting the coach wall.
mgtibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtibb View Post
My 2017 BSS looks the same way. I believe it is the topper awning pulling the top of the slide over that way as it winds in. You can stand on a ladder and push the top of the slide over to make the gap more even but it's not causing any issues the way it is as long as the slide edges aren't hitting the coach wall.
mgtibb.
Thanks for your response.
Just to clarify - you suspect that as the slide, slides in, which is a back to front movement, the topper causes the slide to be pulled sideways? As it's raining the proverbial cats and dogs here (close to Providence, RI) I have not had an opportunity to get on the ladder and test your suggestion. In any case with the slide closed what exactly can you push against to open the gap or, do you push on the slide as it retracts?

Tags
bay star, slide