RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2017, 07:49 AM   #1

Bay Star black tank calibration test

We boondock a lot and wanted to test the accuracy of the tank monitor so we'd know if its correct.

We were very surprised. After completely emptying the tank on level ground, we added water a gallon at a time and here is how many additional gallons each level took.

3 gals 1/3
9 gals 2/3
15 gals Full

for a total of 27 gals. The brochure says it's a 40 gallon tank. We did check with a flashlight down the toilet and saw the water beginning to come up the pipe but we didn't try to see how much more it would take.

We have heard that not all the waste gets drained but that would be a third of the tank (13 gallons) left after dumping.

Thoughts?

lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #2

Bay Star black tank calibration test

Hi, you'll find a lot of similar info here.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355097

It appears the people who make RVs think we all go from RV resort to RV resort with full hookups. On the east coast that may be a reasonable assumption, but maybe they should take a trip west of the Mississippi.

The included guages are ok if all you need to know is when to walk outside and pull the dump handles, but useless to figure out how many days you have before you have to pull up stakes and find a dump station.

AzGoldDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #3

Calibrating the Tanks??

I've had my Baystar for 10 years and this has never been an issue that I concerned myself with. Eventually I found that one or more of the sensors will fall off the exterior of the tanks and that will produce false readings. I could re-tape them I suppose but I know that it will take me a least one week to fill the black water tank 3/4 ths full. The fresh water tank will not give me any more water when it is empty and I will get back wash in the shower when the grey water is full or it will hold 6-7 showers before it should be emptied. Falling into a schedule to empty your tank will cause you less stress about the issue. The only issue that concerned me was the problem with the smell emanating from the black water tank as I drove down the highway. I would suggest you look into getting a 360 vent cap or one of those shark fin vent caps and replace the factory black water tank vent cap on the roof. Have fun with your new Baystar. give us a report on how well it is doing. Some of us are looking to replace our existing unit with something new. I am very interested in your driving impressions and the noise levels in the new units.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:30 AM   #4

Our black tank takes a long time to fill, even after weeks of not dumpling.The problem with our fresh water tank is they put all the sensors near the top,so when we are half way down, it indicates we are empty.Maybe your sensors aren't spaced out correctly like our fresh tank.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:50 AM   #5

I was interested in the same data, so I mapped all 3 tanks, just for curiosity. I added at 5 gallon increments. Advertised as a 40 gallon black tank, the 40 gallon insertion put the water level right at the floor flange gasket. I also learned that at 30 gallons in the black the water level is nearly touching the drop pipe. So, learning that the tank is full, full, full at 40, I've got 10 gallons of more poo before there's a real problem.

The biggest take-away was that mathematically, the 1/3 - 2/3 is crap.

The 75 gallon fresh tank only took 67 gallons before overflow. Then the siphoning took more.

The 60 gallon gray water...at 65, water standing in shower base.

Mapping the propane tank not as easy, but I mapped the 2 level gauges for correlation to each other. The redlines overlaying the tank gauge are the Digi-Level readings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tanks.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	176661   Click image for larger version

Name:	propane.png
Views:	37
Size:	215.5 KB
ID:	176662  

bydnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:33 PM   #6

Thanks for this detail on yours. I wonder how similar the models are. Really interesting.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin along View Post
Our black tank takes a long time to fill, even after weeks of not dumpling.The problem with our fresh water tank is they put all the sensors near the top,so when we are half way down, it indicates we are empty.Maybe your sensors aren't spaced out correctly like our fresh tank.
The main tank we worry about is the black tank since it would be bad if that got too full but perhaps we should just monitor watching down the hole when it hits 2/3rds!
Old 09-15-2017, 08:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
I've had my Baystar for 10 years and this has never been an issue that I concerned myself with. Eventually I found that one or more of the sensors will fall off the exterior of the tanks and that will produce false readings. I could re-tape them I suppose but I know that it will take me a least one week to fill the black water tank 3/4 ths full. The fresh water tank will not give me any more water when it is empty and I will get back wash in the shower when the grey water is full or it will hold 6-7 showers before it should be emptied. Falling into a schedule to empty your tank will cause you less stress about the issue. The only issue that concerned me was the problem with the smell emanating from the black water tank as I drove down the highway. I would suggest you look into getting a 360 vent cap or one of those shark fin vent caps and replace the factory black water tank vent cap on the roof. Have fun with your new Baystar. give us a report on how well it is doing. Some of us are looking to replace our existing unit with something new. I am very interested in your driving impressions and the noise levels in the new units.
We generally move often enough but there have been a few times we've broken camp to dump because we were worried we were too close to full so that's why we wanted to test to see how much leeway we have when its 2/3rds.

As to handling and noise on the 2017, we've been really impressed with both. The 6 speed V10 is so much better - quieter and smoother. We were very surprised and pleased with how quiet it is as far as other sounds although we do still have to track them down when they appear (like a rattling slide lock or the door if its not double locked etc.). It handles just great with passing semis. Not so great in strong winds. And not great on certain turns when its uneven (tippy feeling). We wanted to wait to see what we don't like before trying mods. Wondering if sway bars are something that would be the best bang for the buck. And wondering about steering stabilizer for front blow outs.

We are very happy with it and are glad we waited for the 6 speed when they changed with the mid 2016 models.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGoldDigger View Post
Hi, you'll find a lot of similar info here.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355097

It appears the people who make RVs think we all go from RV resort to RV resort with full hookups. On the east coast that may be a reasonable assumption, but maybe they should take a trip west of the Mississippi.

The included guages are ok if all you need to know is when to walk outside and pull the dump handles, but useless to figure out how many days you have before you have to pull up stakes and find a dump station.
Agreed!

Tags
black tank, tank, test