RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2020, 12:00 PM   #1

Bay Star Cable TV Secret?

I've got cable hooked up in the electrical bay but no signal at the TV. Is there a secret? Am I missing something? A switch or something? OTA booster is off but with it on, I can get OTA channels.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2020, 12:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
I've got cable hooked up in the electrical bay but no signal at the TV. Is there a secret? Am I missing something? A switch or something? OTA booster is off but with it on, I can get OTA channels.
Do you have a source switch box in your TV cabinet like my 2019 Bay Star Sport has? Obviously, if you do, it should be set to cable. Sorry for being Captain Obvious.....

PetesMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesMH View Post
Do you have a source switch box in your TV cabinet like my 2019 Bay Star Sport has? Obviously, if you do, it should be set to cable. Sorry for being Captain Obvious.....
I do but it's hooked up to the orange and brown satellite cables. The black cable that is the output doesn't go anywhere. The cable the TV is hooked up to comes out of the wall behind the TV...I assume it comes from the splitter near my water tank.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:43 PM   #4

Well, hold on a moment. I've got the cable hooked up directly and there's no signal. I assumed there was since we were in this site two weeks ago and our neighbor was using our cable because theirs wasn't working. But I've got nothing to the TV even directly connected. Going to the office.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:15 PM   #5

Did you change your tv menu from air to cable and do a channel scan ?
ej1144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:01 PM   #6

Yep, scanned and got nothing. Scanned with the OTA antenna and I'm picking up good reception. I'm going to hook everything up again tomorrow and give it a go. Maybe I missed something but it's raining now so...
Old 01-19-2020, 04:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McMartin View Post
Well, hold on a moment. I've got the cable hooked up directly and there's no signal. I assumed there was since we were in this site two weeks ago and our neighbor was using our cable because theirs wasn't working. But I've got nothing to the TV even directly connected. Going to the office.
Let me see, your neighbor's cable was not working so they used yours while you were out ( I am assuming they are good friendly neighbors)? Did they ever find out why theirs was not working? Is it possible for you to try to use theirs now to see if it works? Is it possible The Cable Guy ( I am thinking Jim Carey) disconnected yours to fix theirs

It reminds me about about 25 years ago I had Cable go out in our house. We waited a few hours but then decided to call the Cable company to see what happened. They gave us every get rid us response they had because they claimed there was no issues in our area; then out of the blue the Customer Service Rep said Mr. Dkoldman we know why your cable is not working... "you hadn't paid your bill?" I was like what, I never miss bills, had two years of steady payments. I am very anal about paying ahead of time so I after hours of fooling with them; I was about to tee off because I had just found proof of my payment when all of sudden my cable came back on!!!! She was still yaking about where I needed to go to pay the bill etc. etc. So I just hung up. Strange thing happened though. We never got another bill; and we must have gone 15 years with no issues with cable I think it was when the fiber optics and digital took over (Verizon a new company) that we had to pay cable. We have since dumped Verizon in favor of You Tube TV and Roku boxes.

FWIW, we do have switch in our AV cabinet to access cable from the outside compartment, otherwise the feed is internal through connection.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:46 PM   #8

I believe there is a small push button switch close to the floor on the wall beside the front passenger seat. We had the same thing happen to us, but once I located that button, the signal from the cable worked. Good luck!
BadgerRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:08 PM   #9

Well, if you hooked directly to the cable access point on the pedestal to the TV, set the TV to look for cable and not OTA, did a channel scan then there may be an issue at the pedestal. Get the CG staff to verify their end is working correctly.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:00 PM   #10

Yes, as Badger said, you have to make sure that the antenna amplifier is not turned on. The amplifier needs a power boost, but the cable does not; too much power will overload the TV input.

On some units the cable and antenna come in near the top above the passenger chair. There will be a little light there to tell you that the amplifier is on.

With the amplifier off, the channel scan should work.

Tom
Old 01-19-2020, 11:00 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerRV View Post
I believe there is a small push button switch close to the floor on the wall beside the front passenger seat. We had the same thing happen to us, but once I located that button, the signal from the cable worked. Good luck!

Yep this is correct, must be off for cable to work

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:39 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It sounds like you’ve done the necessary troubleshooting, short of trying a different cable and television. The only switch is the one in the OTA amplifier box, which serves as an A/B switch as well as an amplifier power switch. OTA and cable signals are carried on the same coax cables and splitter after that point. The problem is most likely with the park cable.

I can think of two other possible causes.

1) When you run the cable channel scan the input selection on the scan menu needs to be set to cable, and you need to select cable rather than OTA to view cable channels. This applies to the Sony TVs and probably to yours as well.

2) The park cable service is designed to support old TVs without built-in cable tuners and you need to scan for OTA signals on the cable input.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:44 PM   #13

I watched football on the OTA antenna. We've never used cable before. But turns out the cable guys were here today. I didn't talk to them but I saw them running some cable here and there. I'm pretty sure the cable at my site, the actual cable, is new. It looks new and is orange. I don't remember orange and they were stringing more orange cable.

TL;DR the cable hookup at my site is likely the problem. I'll hook up at the next park, Fort Wilderness at Disney. I bet their cable works.

I never liked cable. We had OTA (wireless) TV back in the 30's and then some genius decided we should run millions of miles of cable all over the place. It still had ghosts and plenty of outages. Then a few decades later, we're all watching wireless TV again. I feel like cable was a step backwards. The fact RV parks offer it, just reinforces how antiquated and jenky cable is.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:54 PM   #14
doc

Appalachian Campers
My Razar antenna on our 3911 Canyon Star has to be turned off in order for the TV to read the cable. I pulled a lot of hair out until I figured it out.
The handicap model has the antenna switch in the left side of the living area beside the passenger seat back.

doc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bay star, cable