Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2019, 11:39 PM   #1

Question Bay Star front passenger roller shade issue

While in South Dakota last week my passenger black out roller shade would not roll up. Went to adjust the tension and noticed the entire shade had slid forward on the roller about 2 inches! Couldn't unroll to move it back.
Cant drive with that shade down, so I had to figure out how to hold it up or cut it off. I ended up using a couple of smaller bungee cords with a ball end used on tarps. I hand rolled it like a news paper and just enough room for the cord to slide behind roller.

Now we are home. Any easy way to remove this shade or do I have to remove the entire valance? I also assume I need an entire new roller shade. Since it's a big blackout shade I'm sure it's over $100. I'll probably call Newmar next week. Any ideas on how to proceed?
Maddawg46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2019, 06:12 AM   #2

On my Canyon Star, the shade is cut at an angle on the front edge and appears to slide forward and backward on the roller as it is rolled up or down. It's cut that way to account for the angle of the front of the side window and is not really moving around on the roller tube.

There are knurled ends on each end of the roller tube. One adjusts the "up" limit and the other adjust the spring tension on the roller. There is a thread on here somewhere that has pretty good documentation and instructions. If I find it I'll post a link but you may be able to search for it.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:21 AM   #3

Found this on Google

Technical Information | MCD Innovations

Probably all the information you could ever need on shade adjustments.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:35 PM   #4

The main problem is it has rolled off the front and covering the limit spool and the entire roller needs to come off. But that MCN site is a keeper.
The driver side is fine.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:38 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have had our share of shade issues. Wife likes to pull them down too far. Even have an intermittent power issue on the front shades. Guess it happens to us all. At factory last month I had them fix a few. Then tech wanted to make sure all in coach were ok for us before we hit the road and he finished off the front passenger shade. Thankfully they had a new one in stock and he replaced his divot. Thanks for the info page, will order some spare parts for when we are in extremis or out of warranty. j
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #6

Good luck ordering parts from Newmar. When I asked them for the Manufacturer on my shades they refused. Said they are protecting the vendors. Instead they wanted me to buy a complete shade for $250!
No way I'm doing that. Did some more research and found out that my shades are Automotion. And they are in Canada. PM me if you want to know how to get parts. Very difficult. BUT I DID IT.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post
Good luck ordering parts from Newmar. When I asked them for the Manufacturer on my shades they refused. Said they are protecting the vendors. Instead they wanted me to buy a complete shade for $250!
No way I'm doing that. Did some more research and found out that my shades are Automotion. And they are in Canada. PM me if you want to know how to get parts. Very difficult. BUT I DID IT.
I have a couple broke Automotion shades in my Canyon Star and would like to get the parts information.
Sorry I dont see how to use the PM option on this site.
slojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddawg46 View Post
Maybe you can just post their link with contact information so everyone knows

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:14 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
Maybe you can just post their link with contact information so everyone knows
We have bought replacement parts for our Auto Motion dual roller shades here:

https://www.braddandhall.com/Product...idCategory=111

Six of ours have broken since we bought our coach!!!
Old 11-29-2019, 04:18 AM   #10

I usually go into the parts catalog for my specific coach, and find the part. If they list a vendor part # I use that and the name of the part to do a google search. Most times, I can come up with the vendor's web site. You will need your coach # or VIN # to drill down.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #11

Thanks

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote