Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2015, 12:59 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Bay Star in the Pacific Northwest "Winter"

Hi, so I am trying to figure out how best to use our new Bay Star for local weekend trips during the winter here. My concern is the freezing of water lines and tanks, as well as holding tanks and lines. I did not opt for the 120V heating pads, which I'm probably regretting at this point.

As a reference for folks not familiar with our weather, winters are pretty mild in the Seattle area. See this year's history at https://weatherspark.com/history/297...-United-States . Lows are only occasionally below freezing, but it does happen.

The specific questions I'm trying to figure out are...
* If we're at a park, plugged in, and coach heated, are we at risk of the tanks and/or lines freezing? Or are they all in bays that are well insulated enough?
* If freezing IS a risk, could I get by with leaving the fresh water system winterized, but still use the grey/black systems, just pour some anti-freeze in them?

Thanks!
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2015, 01:54 PM   #2

Vacay,

Plugged in and with heat you should be good for most any temp you will encounter here in the NW. We lived in Lakewood and had a DS never winterized. Left it plugged in by the house and if the forecast overnight low was to be below 20F would turn on the furnace just to be sure.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:53 PM   #3

You can leave a small oil heater in the rig as well plugged in instead of running the furnace. I've seen water blocks explode when not winterized here in Seattle when the rig is not heated at all, but if you're actively using it then you shouldn't have an issue.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:08 PM   #4

Never had a problem traveling around the PNW in the winter with my '93 Bounder. There are a couple of ducts that are directed at the basement, but did a lot of driving in below freezing temperatures with the furnace off. Water sloshing around when driving helps prevent it from freezing.
In Seattle all the winterization we ever did was drain the water, and water heater tank. Never blue out the lines or used antifreeze. We never kept the rv plugged in during the winter either. The old converter would just cook the batteries if you did. It would take several days of mid twenties night time temps to freeze a full tank of water. It takes a while to pull the heat out of a 90 gallon tank of water and around here it generally warms above freezing in the daytime.
The weakest point with the Bounder related to cold temperatures, which I forgot to mention, was the small cheap plastic water filter attached to the fresh water tank. If you did not remove the clear plastic trap before storage and empty the couple tablespoons of water it contained, this water would freeze and crack the trap. This I learned from experience, but it did hold up through a dozen winters before it failed. The trap was made from very thin plastic.
If you are plugged in at a park a small heater or a couple of 100w 110v incandescent lamps in the basement should be enough to prevent freezing. Since the bay doors are insulated the heat should radiate throughout the basement. The furnace ducts in the Bounder were certainly no blow torches and since we boondock that is all we had. The bay doors are only about a 1/2" thick so less insulation than your Bay Star.
The above has been my experience, with winter traveling and storage in the NW, maybe I am just very lucky.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010020-2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	370.6 KB
ID:	105386  
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 05:18 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've stored our previous Dutch Star outside for 13 years with no trouble. I've used either a 100 watt bulb running continuously in the wet bay or a 200 watt personal heater in the bay. I also got a temperature sensitive plug in to turn the heater on and off. I also kept a 1500 watt cube heater inside. Did open cabinet doors to circulate the heat.
BTW, this is in the real Vancouver, not that late comer in BC!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:24 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
We fulltime and live just about 20 min east of Sumas Wa. and last year we went to about 20'f with 6 in. of snow for about 1 wk..

I had a heat tape on my water line and all was fine for the whole winter.

We had no skirting and the basement never got below 50'f. So my tanks never froze and no stress.

Hope this helps you with your question.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:29 PM   #7

Small heater is what I use in the coach for the winter. We never winterize the water system.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have your heater furnace on during your travels and while camping will heat your tank area's and plumbing and water bay area.
You use a other type heater just in your living area you will run into trouble because tank areas will be freezing up.
We have camped in 1* temps with water in fresh water tank never had a freeze up in three Newmars use your furnace.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:22 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ok, this is great info everyone, thanks so much. I shall use my water in winter with confidence

Now you all have me questioning the decision to even winterize at all. I probably will still drain the water heater and blow out the lines between trips, because that seems pretty easy.

The rig is in storage far from home, so I'm a little worried about leaving a heater plugged in there while I can't check on it regularly.
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have the idea use furnace when you use coach other wise blow out the water system.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter