Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2018, 07:44 AM   #1

Bay Star Owners: Help with some winter travel questions!

As a rookie Bay Star owner, I'm looking for some input and advice from other Bay Star owners regarding traveling in cold weather. Since we live in Ohio, my MH has been winterized so my tanks are empty and all should be good. I couldn't tell whether the water compartment gets any heat when the furnace is running, so I contacted Newmar and was told that the water compartment will get some heat from furnace.

1. Is it ok for me to put some water in my fresh water tank before leaving for Florida. Specifically, does the process of hooking up a hose and adding about a 1/3 of tank of water compromise the winterization process?

I'd like to start out with some water in the tank but I won't flush out the system until I stop a little north of Atlanta, GA. The water in the tank would be back up water in case we are delayed along the route due to foul weather.

2. Have any of you added supplemental heating devices? I've found the thread about using a small personal electric heater along with a thermo cube to provide extra heat and am considering making that modification. Any other suggestions or experiences?

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2018, 11:08 AM   #2

Asides from the hazards of winter driving, IMHO I would not jeopardize the winterization just for a few days of driving, carry four gallons of water or more for a hospital bath, cooking drinking etc or stop at your favorite hotel.

Zzotte
Old 12-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzotte View Post
Asides from the hazards of winter driving, IMHO I would not jeopardize the winterization just for a few days of driving, carry four gallons of water or more for a hospital bath, cooking drinking etc or stop at your favorite hotel.

Zzotte
And I agree! We are stopping at a hotel on our first night and usually flush water lines when we get just north of Atlanta. Thanks for the response.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:24 AM   #4

It takes a while for water to freeze.I think if you put water in your tank just before you leave, you will be in warmer climate when you stop.A lot depends on the temps when you leave.Be safe in your travels.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:44 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We live in the Indianapolis area.

We left for Florida early December and always make our first stop on the TN/AL line.

It was cold at home when we left and the camp ground owner at our first stop said it was getting into the 20s at night.......yikes.

I still did my normal de-winterization flush at this stop (An annual event) but rather than leave the water hose hooked up I filled the water tank full and had plenty of water in the morning - - so - not sure where your first hotel stop is, but a small amount of water in your fresh water tank should be ok......and not hurt the anti-freeze.

As I am sure you know - - the water compartment only gets the heat with the furnace running, not the heat pumps.

Good luck and Merry Christmas 🎄🎄🎄🎄
Old 12-21-2018, 09:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Glenn View Post
We live in the Indianapolis area.

We left for Florida early December and always make our first stop on the TN/AL line.

It was cold at home when we left and the camp ground owner at our first stop said it was getting into the 20s at night.......yikes.

I still did my normal de-winterization flush at this stop (An annual event) but rather than leave the water hose hooked up I filled the water tank full and had plenty of water in the morning - - so - not sure where your first hotel stop is, but a small amount of water in your fresh water tank should be ok......and not hurt the anti-freeze.

As I am sure you know - - the water compartment only gets the heat with the furnace running, not the heat pumps.

Good luck and Merry Christmas 🎄🎄🎄🎄
Thanks for the reply! I knew about using furnace for heat to water compartment. And, I have disconnected hoses in the past. I actually have one of the heated hoses that's never been used....bought it for a big trip out west and never needed it, so I have that option.

My biggest concern is not to compromise the system that's been winterized. So, if I hook up a water hose, flip the lever for fresh water fill, add water, then disconnect, all should be well??
Old 12-21-2018, 12:18 PM   #7

Personally, I wouldn't do that. We just plan on carrying two cases of bottled water for drinking, etc. and two jugs of RV antifreeze for toilet flushing. This should get us to warm enough weather that I can full de-winterize and not worry, or at least I hope so.

I also plan to keep all my liquids I normally keep in the basement in the upstairs to keep them from freezing as well. They are very easy to move later when it warms up.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 06:50 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
My biggest concern is not to compromise the system that's been winterized. So, if I hook up a water hose, flip the lever for fresh water fill, add water, then disconnect, all should be well??
Sure - - as you fill the "tank", water will not go into the fresh water plumbing system to weaken your anti-freeze.

But......if you happen to use the water in the tank - - then of course the first thing you will get from any faucet or commode is anti-freeze.

Thinking about it - - I might lean towards what other have said - take bottled water.....but you also mentioned you wanted water in case you get stuck.

Hmmmmm - - is it more for the commode flushing???? If so, save some empty milk cartons - fill them with water and wha-la, there is your flush.

I have often done what you want to do when traveling, fill the fresh water tank with about ⅓ full for flushing.......

It's cold in FLA right now.......LOL Livin' the dream........

Be safe.......

g
Old 12-22-2018, 07:07 AM   #9

Thanks for the responses. I've decided that I will wait until I'm in Georgia before putting water in the tank and carry some water for emergency use of the toilet. Once I'm north of Atlanta, I'll flush the system and connect to campground water. I have the heated water hose if needed, and can put some water in the fresh water tank if I want to disconnect the hose at night.

Tags
travel, winter