Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2020, 03:14 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Bay Star Sport Tow Haul Mode

We have a 2019 Bay Star Sport 2702. It is our first gas coach, after 9.5 years of fulltiming in our 2009 Dutch Star DP. We tow a 2010 Saturn Vue. I would really appreciate someone explaining to me what setting the tow haul mode actually does, and when it is supposed to be used. We tried using it when we left the dealer we bought it from (Bish's RV, Meridian, ID), but it made the RPMs go way up and the engine scream on even tiny hills, so we haven't been using it. The owner's manual does not have any explanation that helps.
2019 Newmar Bay Star Sport 2702 - our cute little thing NKK#19080
bakntep is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2020, 03:28 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakntep View Post
We have a 2019 Bay Star Sport 2702. It is our first gas coach, after 9.5 years of fulltiming in our 2009 Dutch Star DP. We tow a 2010 Saturn Vue. I would really appreciate someone explaining to me what setting the tow haul mode actually does, and when it is supposed to be used. We tried using it when we left the dealer we bought it from (Bish's RV, Meridian, ID), but it made the RPMs go way up and the engine scream on even tiny hills, so we haven't been using it. The owner's manual does not have any explanation that helps.

It changes the shift patterns in an attempt to help while towing. If you are towing your Saturn you should have it on. The shift points on the F53 are lets say.. suspect. A lot of have done after market tunes to get better shifting patterns and it really make a big difference.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:10 PM   #3

Tow haul is on from the moment I crank the engine. Seem to help down shift sooner on down grades. The F53 will shift a lot on hills especially if using speed control.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:22 PM   #4

Barbara and Tom-

Tow/Haul changes the way the transmission behaves. You can tow a car with or without it, your choice.

With Tow/Haul on, it reduces fuel mileage by about one mile per gallon. That's why I don't use it... unless I'm in traffic or going down a steep grade. In those conditions, it's worth its weight in gold.

Here's why: If you are in traffic, or going down a steep grade, with Tow/Haul on, a quick press of the brake pedal will shift the engine down one gear. This slows the coach more than applying the brakes alone. Hit the brake pedal again, another downshift. Tow/Haul has saved my bacon more than once when someone cut too close in front during stop-and-go.

Other than that, I leave Tow/Haul off.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:39 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
The other option to get better shift points is adding 5 Star Tuning. I added it to our Canyon Star and driving up and down hills was much improved
Old 05-31-2020, 06:00 PM   #6

I use the tow/hauled mode for the additional engine braking (downshifts). If you have a gas coach F-53, take a look at 5-Star tune. It modifies the sift points and at least on the 5 speed tranny, does away with the 5 to 3rd screaming downshift. Do a search. There have been multiple threads about 5-Star.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:30 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you all for your responses. I will look at the 5 Star thread!
Old 06-01-2020, 08:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakntep View Post
Thank you all for your responses. I will look at the 5 Star thread!
Your coach has a 2016-and-newer 6-speed transmission. As you read through the threads on 5star, you may find that many folks felt the 5Star software improved the 4- and 5-speed transmission behaviors, but in comparison offered less improvement for the 6-speed.

There are satisfied 5star users whose coaches have/had 6-speed transmissions, such as "sgwyble."
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:01 AM   #9

You have a 6 speed transmission and a special tune isn't needed.

Special tunes were a fix for the 5 speeds weird shifting but Ford fixed that with the 6 speed.

Your engine isn't screening, that's the way V10s operate. Any gas engine is going to turn at least twice as fast as a diesel and its under your feet, not back 30+ feet, like your DP.

I start my 25 ft, 2017, V10 equipped engine, switch on Tow/Haul ( I'm hauling my house and towing my car ) and then turn on Cruise Control.

Once on the highway, cruise control takes care of my 65 MPH speed, up hill and down. With some steep hills, it gets loud, up or down, but I never have to touch the gas or brakes. The Two/Haul is downshifting to keep my speed under control down hill and speed up, uphill.

If you ripped out the heavy insulation and sat on top of the engine, in your car, it would be sounding the same. Watch the tachometer in mountain driving some time.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:40 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here's a little rule of thumb...…..Let's say you're travelling down a straight, flat highway on a windless day, doing 65 mph with the cruise control on. With the TOW/HAUL mode turned OFF, step on the accelerator and see if the RV reasonably accelerates. If it does, you're okay and you can leave the TOW/HAUL mode OFF and improve your mileage.

Take the same road, doing the same speed, but add a slight grade or headwind conditions. If you step on the accelerator and there is no appreciable acceleration, you need to turn TOW/HAUL mode ON. As you drive through various condition, you can use the above to test if TOW/HAUL should be ON or OFF.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #11

As others have said TOW/Haul mode changes the transmission shift points holding lower gears longer on acceleration, downshifting sooner when going up inclines, and downshifting sooner when decelerating (engine brake assist).

The only time I turn ours on is on deceleration. All other times it is off.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Here's a little rule of thumb...…..Let's say you're travelling down a straight, flat highway on a windless day, doing 65 mph with the cruise control on. With the TOW/HAUL mode turned OFF, step on the accelerator and see if the RV reasonably accelerates. If it does, you're okay and you can leave the TOW/HAUL mode OFF and improve your mileage.

Take the same road, doing the same speed, but add a slight grade or headwind conditions. If you step on the accelerator and there is no appreciable acceleration, you need to turn TOW/HAUL mode ON. As you drive through various condition, you can use the above to test if TOW/HAUL should be ON or OFF.
Do you have a lot of miles in a Ford powered, V10, 6 speed transmission, Motor Home ?

I have 10,000 miles in mine, including mountian driving on Interstate highways and State routes. Went from Syracuse NY to Johnstown PA and back, over the weekend. Lots on mountains.

MY rule of thumb, from recent experience, is turn on Tow/Haul and drive it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Again, thanks to all who've answered, especially those with specific things to try. Our Bay Star Sport has 10,600+ miles on it, so not high mileage. We're heading from Florida to the Pacific Northwest this summer, so will be interested to see how it does in the mountains.
Old 06-02-2020, 02:32 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Do you have a lot of miles in a Ford powered, V10, 6 speed transmission, Motor Home ?

I have 10,000 miles in mine, including mountian driving on Interstate highways and State routes. Went from Syracuse NY to Johnstown PA and back, over the weekend. Lots on mountains.

MY rule of thumb, from recent experience, is turn on Tow/Haul and drive it.
You have your experience and I have mine....yes I've driven the Ford V-10 with Tow/Haul. I also live out west where there can be a 100 miles of flat desert highway in two of the three directions out of So Cal. If you have a flat desert highway with no wind, or maybe even a little tailwind, you can take it out of Tow/Haul and gain a little mpg.

Your advice gives the OP no options, rather than to turn off Tow/Haul ALL the time. My gives him the opportunity to see if it's needed in EVERY driving scenario.

I respect your advice, as you provide some of the BEST information on this forum, but it's not always the only way to do things.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bay star, tow