Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2022, 02:04 PM   #1

Baystar sport

We have been looking to buy a new motor home, and our contact at NIRVC suggested we look at the Bay Star Sport. We are comparing this unit to a Winnebago Vista about the same price range.

Comments as to which is the better buy?
RAWKDW10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2022, 03:18 PM   #2

Back in 2016 we looked at the BSS and Winnebago. They both had a floor plan that would meet our wants. The fit and finish of the BSS what far superior to the Winnebago, the slide mechanisms were much sturdier, and the reputation for quality was better. I’m fairly sure nothing has changed. That’s not to say we didn’t have some issues with the BSS but would make the same choice if doing it again.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 08:28 PM   #3

We looked at a lot of MHs before deciding on a BSS 2702. Fit, finish, paint and interior we're all a cut above the competition. I really didn't like Winnie's low front end and Newmars' basement is really well done..
That was in 2017. We've been back to the dealership a few times since and looked at bigger Newmars but always come away happy with our choice.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 09:05 PM   #4

I have owned two Winnebago motorhomes and two Newmar motorhomes, including a 32' Baystar we ran for eight years. I would not hesitate to purchase either brand again and would get whichever had the best value for the features I wanted.

Specifically on our Baystar my biggest regret was not upgrading all the furniture. "Junk" fit the standard couches, dinette, and captains chairs. I've read this same comment from numerous other Baystar owners. The foam collapsed with minimal use and seams separated. Flexsteel said the original foam was what Newmar spec'd. At no cost to me Flexsteel redid all the foam with heavier poundage and recovered it all. It still wasn't the best for comfort, but at least it wasn't falling apart.
Old 05-28-2022, 11:08 PM   #5

The fit and finish, quality of the cabinetry, interior noise level and overall comfort of our 22 BSS is above other units of the same price range we looked at prior to purchasing. The only thing I don’t like are the cargo doors being hinged at the top. They are difficult to get under to get things out.
Wacdmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 11:31 PM   #6

Can’t go wrong with a newmar product
Zonnie62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 03:25 PM   #7

Baystar sport

Thanks for all your comments. My review of both coaches points me in the same direction indicated by your comments. The main issue for me now is the $20,000 difference in price for essentially duplicate floor plans from both Winnebago and Newmar. I suspect that over time the Newmar will depreciate less. The price makes the decision a little more difficult.

Once again thanks for your comments from a great bunch of Newmar Owners.
Old 05-30-2022, 09:34 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
This will be a moot point concerning the Bay Star Sport since it's heaviest chassis is 22k, but my biggest complaint about Winnebago is that none of their gas class A come with a chassis above 22k.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:11 PM   #9

My grand father who was a machinist always told me when it comes to tools that the quality will be remembered long after the price is forgotten. I am still using many of his tools that he bought on the teens and twenties, as in 1918 and 1924.

In 2017 we were casting about for a new coach and really liked the Winnie and BSS. When I looked at the 2903 the first time the fridge was removed. I could see inside and found that all of the cabinetry and supports are of a good quality wood and all the joints were glued and screwed together.

I was able to look into the inside of an equivalent winnie and all the joints were nailed with no glue.

There were other differences and the BSS showed better quality. The winnie had more eye candy stuff, but the BSS has much better bones.
The winnie was on an 18K chassis and the 2903 is on a 20.5K.

Lots of other stuff, but I think that you get why I bought the BSS.
Threesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:52 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
As a suggestion, Look at the new "Bay Star"! It has been upgraded, new furniture, and the heavier Ford F-53 chassis.

Compare ALL of the "Specifications", because Bay Star has heat pump, larger "generator", etc. Winnebago, Fleetwood, Bay Star Sport, all use a lighter weight chassis, which will not have nearly as much "payload" capacity(very important when you get ready to travel)!

The 26,000 GVWR Ford F-53 chassis will ride better, & give you better handling than the lighter GVWR chassis.....i.e. 22,000 GVWR chassis, which has 19.5" wheels/tires, versus 22.5" wheels & tires on the heavier chassis!

Bay Star will be a bit more expensive, but in the long run, you will probably be much happier!

Good Luck!!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:10 PM   #11

My DW and I spent 2 1/2 years researching and looking at and comparing gas Class As. We found Newmar to be superior in most aspects, albeit a bit pricier. Although we have a Bay Star (not BSS), we'd do it all again (we live in our coach full-time, so it's well loved)! I check NADA values annually - our rig is currently worth several thousand dollars more than we initially paid for it. Can't argue with that!!
Old 06-04-2022, 06:01 AM   #12

When we were looking, our selected floor plan was available in both the BS and BSS line. There was a great deal of upgrades that would have led us to buy the BS but we opted for the BSS for one very important reason. The BS would not fit in the carport we had built for the previous mh. It was a few inches too tall. Raising the roof was not an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabber Jaw View Post
As a suggestion, Look at the new "Bay Star"! It has been upgraded, new furniture, and the heavier Ford F-53 chassis.

Compare ALL of the "Specifications", because Bay Star has heat pump, larger "generator", etc. Winnebago, Fleetwood, Bay Star Sport, all use a lighter weight chassis, which will not have nearly as much "payload" capacity(very important when you get ready to travel)!

The 26,000 GVWR Ford F-53 chassis will ride better, & give you better handling than the lighter GVWR chassis.....i.e. 22,000 GVWR chassis, which has 19.5" wheels/tires, versus 22.5" wheels & tires on the heavier chassis!

Bay Star will be a bit more expensive, but in the long run, you will probably be much happier!

Good Luck!!

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 07:46 PM   #13

As it happens, we’ve owned both a Vista and now a BSS. Our Vista was a 2017 - a very early production unit of our model. We liked it’s floor plan but had quite a few problems. One feature I expected to like on the Vista was the fiberglass roof. But it had stress cracks and failed to impress. It had a lower weight rated chassis, single pane windows, gel and decal finish and I came to believe it’s full was slide was too much for the operating mechanism they use. Our BSS is a 2019, cost virtually the same and is better in every way. The specific quality of any individual coach always is sort of a crap shoot but I’d say, without hesitation: buy the BSS!
Old 06-07-2022, 08:45 AM   #14

Bay star sport

Thanks for all your comments. We placed an order for the Bay Star Sport yesterday. Waiting to find out delivery details. In the meantime our sales rep talked about the price increase for all Newmar products and noted the difference between the Sport and the regular Bay Star. We are revisiting the purchase decision but are leaving the current order in place. Should know in a day or so if we will change to the Bay Star