Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2015, 03:49 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
BayStar to mini-Mountain Aire

Thank you Newmar for building me such a great RV with changes I wanted.
I wanted a short diesel pusher and discovered the shortest were 35' like the 2011 Ventana 3434 I thought I wanted but it was too long for my 32' driveway. So after visiting the Winnebago, Newmar, and Tiffin factories in the Fall of 2010 I knew I would have a RV that was nothing but the best if I bought any Newmar product.

I added most of the things in my signature below during the first year and the hardware was stuff in the Mountain Aire and up to make my BayStar all it could be. At the Newmar rally in Escanaba I looked at the galley space and fixtures in the Mountain Aire and up models because I was less than satisfied with the BayStars galley and lack of usable counter space and decided to remodel. I went to MasterTech because Newmar's service dept. was backlogged and they would not install the Ramblewood CG2-48P 2 burner cooktop I wanted. MasterTech also was backlogged so I waited about 6 weeks and got the upgrades I wanted and I was able to micro-manage the work so the quality was nothing but the best.

The 1st picture shows the lack of usable space for food prep while cooking and the OEM window coverings. The OEM countertop with small 6"D double sinks and cheap faucet was tossed out along with the day/night OEM window coverings on 10 windows.

The 2nd photo shows the cabinet that needed a lot of reinforcing for the Corian countertop.

The 3rd photo shows the new counter top with a 13.5"Wx15.75"Hx8"D SS sink, a Kraus brushed nickel stream/spray pull out head faucet, and the Ramblewood GC2-48P 2 burner (11K & 7.5K burners) cooktop which has electronic ignition and thermocouple to monitor each burner for flame out. I now have 28" of space between the sink and cooktop and 12" between the sink and window for small appliances. I also added a 15"x30" Corian flip up countertop extension by the door. The new MCD Duo shades are also visible.

The 4th photo shows a matching 2'x2' Corian tabletop I installed between the comfortable captains chairs where the best views are when boondocking. Above the backup monitor on the dash are 6 switches that control the powered MCD shades in the cockpit, 1,3, & 5 control the sunscreens and 2, 4, & 6 control the night shades. I can count the switches and adjust the shades while driving to eliminate sun glare.

The 5th photo shows more galley work space than most of the other RVs; I can now bake bread, pastys, turkey dinners, etc.

The 6th photo shows the Lambright recliner I found so comfortable in the Mountain Aire at the Escanaba Rally that I will use for my computer work station where the stand alone table and 2 chairs used to be. I can also move it into the aisle for the best spot for the 5.1 sound system when watching movies. I have already taken naps as long as 2.5 hours in the chair.

I will be at the Quartzsite gathering next week if anyone wants more details. The installation of MCD Duo shades on 10 windows cost about $2K and the counter top with the sink, cooktop, extension, table, and a 6.5" high Yamaha subwoofer to replace the 13" high OEM Sony subwoofer for space for the deeper sink and faucet cost about $5K.

Newmar built a great RV but it has taken about $34K to finish it as a mini-Mountain Aire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2901's counter top has little workspace 720.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	82844   Click image for larger version

Name:	2901's counter top held the cabinets together and needed reinforcing 720.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	379.7 KB
ID:	82845  

Name:	2901's Essex grade corian counter top with workspace 720.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	82846   Click image for larger version

Name:	2901's matching table top for dining with the best views 720.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	319.4 KB
ID:	82847  

Name:	2901's room for cooking and baking pastys 720.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	332.5 KB
ID:	82848   Click image for larger version

Name:	2901's space Lambright recliner, computer work station, and MCD Duo shades throughout the RV 720.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	82849  

2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 04:13 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well that's a complete change and what you have in your signature shows serious boon docking, not to mention chassis mods all in a Bay Star.
I will have to add this thread in QT's # 3 Bay Star Section for future reference.
Enjoy and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:23 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
that is some awesome modification!
Old 01-07-2015, 08:31 AM   #4

Where did you put the Koi pond?
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #5

Joe, Are you coming to the Newmar Gathering in Q next week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes2901 View Post
Thank you Newmar for building me such a great RV with changes I wanted.
I wanted a short diesel pusher and discovered the shortest were 35' like the 2011 Ventana 3434 I thought I wanted but it was too long for my 32' driveway. So after visiting the Winnebago, Newmar, and Tiffin factories in the Fall of 2010 I knew I would have a RV that was nothing but the best if I bought any Newmar product.

I added most of the things in my signature below during the first year and the hardware was stuff in the Mountain Aire and up to make my BayStar all it could be. At the Newmar rally in Escanaba I looked at the galley space and fixtures in the Mountain Aire and up models because I was less than satisfied with the BayStars galley and lack of usable counter space and decided to remodel. I went to MasterTech because Newmar's service dept. was backlogged and they would not install the Ramblewood CG2-48P 2 burner cooktop I wanted. MasterTech also was backlogged so I waited about 6 weeks and got the upgrades I wanted and I was able to micro-manage the work so the quality was nothing but the best.

The 1st picture shows the lack of usable space for food prep while cooking and the OEM window coverings. The OEM countertop with small 6"D double sinks and cheap faucet was tossed out along with the day/night OEM window coverings on 10 windows.

The 2nd photo shows the cabinet that needed a lot of reinforcing for the Corian countertop.

The 3rd photo shows the new counter top with a 13.5"Wx15.75"Hx8"D SS sink, a Kraus brushed nickel stream/spray pull out head faucet, and the Ramblewood GC2-48P 2 burner (11K & 7.5K burners) cooktop which has electronic ignition and thermocouple to monitor each burner for flame out. I now have 28" of space between the sink and cooktop and 12" between the sink and window for small appliances. I also added a 15"x30" Corian flip up countertop extension by the door. The new MCD Duo shades are also visible.

The 4th photo shows a matching 2'x2' Corian tabletop I installed between the comfortable captains chairs where the best views are when boondocking. Above the backup monitor on the dash are 6 switches that control the powered MCD shades in the cockpit, 1,3, & 5 control the sunscreens and 2, 4, & 6 control the night shades. I can count the switches and adjust the shades while driving to eliminate sun glare.

The 5th photo shows more galley work space than most of the other RVs; I can now bake bread, pastys, turkey dinners, etc.

The 6th photo shows the Lambright recliner I found so comfortable in the Mountain Aire at the Escanaba Rally that I will use for my computer work station where the stand alone table and 2 chairs used to be. I can also move it into the aisle for the best spot for the 5.1 sound system when watching movies. I have already taken naps as long as 2.5 hours in the chair.

I will be at the Quartzsite gathering next week if anyone wants more details. The installation of MCD Duo shades on 10 windows cost about $2K and the counter top with the sink, cooktop, extension, table, and a 6.5" high Yamaha subwoofer to replace the 13" high OEM Sony subwoofer for space for the deeper sink and faucet cost about $5K.

Newmar built a great RV but it has taken about $34K to finish it as a mini-Mountain Aire.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:04 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I sure am. I hope to arrive about the 12th and will be glad to help.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:57 AM   #7

Very nice upgrades.