Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2017, 09:34 AM   #1

BayStar Turn Signal On-To-Long Alert Chime

Not sure if this is just on BayStars or not, but that alert chime that your turn signal has been on longer than the set threshold is annoying. Has anyone identified how to turn it off? I looked and did not see a way to do it. Searches on the site did not turn up anything, which surprises me, as I would think there are at least a few others like me that are annoyed by it.

Thanks for any insight.

Terry
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
On the 2008 Ford chassis the chime stops (or does not start) if you have the brake pedal depressed, so it comes on rarely and usually is appropriate (i.e. I forgot it). I don't know of any way to defeat it.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:26 AM   #3

Let me know when you find out how to disconnect, its more than annoying.Most times I don't use my signals because of the chime.
purrin along is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
On the 2008 Ford chassis the chime stops (or does not start) if you have the brake pedal depressed, so it comes on rarely and usually is appropriate (i.e. I forgot it). I don't know of any way to defeat it.
As far as I know, Ford does not provide a turn signal warning chime wiring on the F-53 chassis. I'd ask Newmar about it.

Two prior threads, neither with answers:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/turn-...ng-311641.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/turn-...ime-73375.html
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:19 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
On my Dutch Star he alarm comes on after about 3-4 hundred yards. If it bothers you turn it off then right back on if you need the turn signal to be on. One of my pet peeves are people that drive for miles and miles with a turn signal on. You never know if they're turning or not. Maybe the alarm will remind us turn it off.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #6

Discovered that on my first drive yesterday. Freaked me out. Then I saw my signal was on. Probably not a bad thing. Keeps you from driving for miles with your signal on.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #7

I fully qualified what I asked about by saying that a few others may be annoyed by it also. I realize fully this like many other things is personal preference. If it does not bother you or you need/like the alert, that’s great. Personally I hear the normal turn signal tick just fine and do not drive for miles with the signal on. Don’t need an alarm on my car and don’t need one on my RV IMO.

I would not think of answering someone’s questions on a subjective subject by assuming they are doing something that ends up annoying me, just for the sake of schooling them.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Oh, I hate this thing. If it was a nice gentle chime, that might be ok. But it's a horrible "red alert" type sound that should be reserved for "something is about to explode in your rig" events.

It comes on after 30 seconds, so now I always wait until just before my turn to engage the turn signal.

If anyone figures out how to disable it, it would be a great help.
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacay Wheels View Post
Oh, I hate this thing. If it was a nice gentle chime, that might be ok. But it's a horrible "red alert" type sound that should be reserved for "something is about to explode in your rig" events.

It comes on after 30 seconds, so now I always wait until just before my turn to engage the turn signal.

If anyone figures out how to disable it, it would be a great help.
Lol, totally agree. Still scares me when it blares (enough to make you momentarily break concentration on the turn or merge when you should be watching for cars/people/whatever)....
Old 12-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #10

I agree it's a PITA but once I figured out what was going on, just have learned to pretty much ignore or turn off and back on as needed. I definitely want my signals showing when I'm turning.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:06 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Very Slight touch on the Brake Pedal silences the alarm.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 12:58 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc8375 View Post
Very Slight touch on the Brake Pedal silences the alarm.
Really! Mine beeps when I have my foot on the brake waiting for the light to change
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:43 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Really! Mine beeps when I have my foot on the brake waiting for the light to change
Pushing the brake pedal silences the alarm on my coach also. It sure would be an annoyance if it didn't.

I've noticed that the brake switch on all the Ford's I've owned have tended to fail or be very persnickety and need adjustment a lot (at least relative to the other brands of cars I've owned). I usually catch this when I'm backing up at night and can see that the brake lights don't light up the area behind me more. With the motorhome it's much easier as the brake lights really light up the area in the backup camera. Maybe your brake switch is being persnickety?
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 06:14 PM   #14

My alarm is fairly quiet. I sure can't imagine NOT using my signals because of it. Its a good reminder in case it doesn't shut off! Easy fix is turn off signal then back on again. I imagine this only happens at stop lights?