Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2008, 07:02 AM   #1
GM

I appreciate your indulgence as DW and I are on our "short list" of possible new RVs. First, we do not own an RV and have never owned one. We've gone through (over the past year) all the suggestions on rv.net and are taking our time in selecting a good used high end coach. Up until day before yesterday we were pretty sure a 2006 Beaver Patriot Thunder Vicksburg IV was going to be it. There are several similarly equipped coaches currently on the market, that we have found, at fairly decent prices.

Oh boy, then we walked into a 2007 used Newmar Mountain Aire and were really surprised at the difference in "feel". It wasn't just the decor either.

Our "budget" is no more than $300k and we want to make sure our first foray is a positive one. I have a leg injury that prevents bending more than 45 degrees and I need a recliner or similar seating to enjoy evenings. We will tow a Saturn four down and want supplemental braking. I also work on the internet a LOT and wife loves crafting. I'm very handy mechanically and electrically.

So, I'm asking for help here. Are there any members who have gone through the same selection woes, owned Beavers and went to Newmar, know of how we might accommodate my special needs, or have any sort of encouragement to offer?

I thank you very much..

Still searching.......

Gene & Chris
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
GM

I appreciate your indulgence as DW and I are on our "short list" of possible new RVs. First, we do not own an RV and have never owned one. We've gone through (over the past year) all the suggestions on rv.net and are taking our time in selecting a good used high end coach. Up until day before yesterday we were pretty sure a 2006 Beaver Patriot Thunder Vicksburg IV was going to be it. There are several similarly equipped coaches currently on the market, that we have found, at fairly decent prices.

Oh boy, then we walked into a 2007 used Newmar Mountain Aire and were really surprised at the difference in "feel". It wasn't just the decor either.

Our "budget" is no more than $300k and we want to make sure our first foray is a positive one. I have a leg injury that prevents bending more than 45 degrees and I need a recliner or similar seating to enjoy evenings. We will tow a Saturn four down and want supplemental braking. I also work on the internet a LOT and wife loves crafting. I'm very handy mechanically and electrically.

So, I'm asking for help here. Are there any members who have gone through the same selection woes, owned Beavers and went to Newmar, know of how we might accommodate my special needs, or have any sort of encouragement to offer?

I thank you very much..

Still searching.......

Gene & Chris
Old 03-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum Gene and Chris. The Mountain Aire 45' is a definate eye catcher.
For your leg issue, I would strongly recommend getting a floor plan that has a midship TV, regardless which make you buy. This will allow you to use both front seats when watching TV. This not only is comfortable but also uses the front area more than just for entertaining company.
I'm sure there will be other members speaking up too, to help you.

Peter
Old 03-01-2008, 07:39 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
GM, welcome to iRV2.

As a prejudiced Newmar owner, I would prefer the Mountain Aire also.

Old 03-01-2008, 08:20 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GM:
then we walked into a 2007 used Newmar Mountain Aire and were really surprised at the difference in "feel". It wasn't just the decor either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That pretty much says it all. The "feel" in a Newmar extends from the "what you see" right through (and most importantly) into the "what you don't see" in terms of engineering/build. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar that distinctive "feel" is a predominant "Newmarism" and with good reason - it's not just a feeling, it is real.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:36 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That pretty much says it all. The "feel" in a Newmar extends from the "what you see" right through (and most importantly) into the "what you don't see" in terms of engineering/build. Pound for pound, dollar for dollar that distinctive "feel" is a predominant "Newmarism" and with good reason - it's not just a feeling, it is real. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's telling it the way it is, Jeff.

Peter
Old 03-01-2008, 09:20 AM   #7

Our first motorhome (not a Beaver or Newmar, but some other brand which shall remain un-named) was the biggest mistake of my life!! What a piece of junk!!!! I owned it less than a year and couldn't wait to get rid of it. I traded up to the Newmar Essex and have been very pleased with the difference in quality and support. I don't know very much about the Patriot Thunder, but from my perspective, you really can't go wrong with the Newmar.

The bottom line is: don't settle for something less....buy the best quality, buy what pleases you most, and buy what you can afford.

If you're interested in an 06 Essex, drop me a note...I might be willing to part with mine.

Sebastian
Old 03-01-2008, 12:38 PM   #8

I can echo the previous comment regarding the first MH...enjoyed it very much but the punch list never stopped. It was a Fleetwood diesel pusher. I sold it after 2 seasons and bought a Newmar 2006 Mountain Aire 4304. Newmar's quality, systems design and factory support are far superior to anything I have seen and experienced. The Spartan MMGT chassis has also been great. You can't go wrong with Newmar.

Newmar Mountain Aire
Old 03-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi GM,
Welcome to iRV2. This is my 30th year of owning motor coaches. I always had a Winnebago and switched to Newmar in 05 (signature coach). There were several reasons for the switch. One being the contents of your OP. Like you, I can't explain it but I'm glad I now have a Newmar coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
Old 03-01-2008, 01:45 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome GM to the Newmar forum.
Here is a link to get the feel and your heart stopping and some of these coachs are old.
USED NEWMARS Enjoy the Newmars.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
Old 03-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #11
GM

So far I'm encouraged by the responses.

The model 4529 looks like a good fit for us. Any owners on the forum have the floorplan that can comment on livability?

Thanks again for the help.

Gene & Chris
Old 03-02-2008, 02:11 AM   #12

Probably the biggest advantage of buying a Newmar is the ability to taylor the coach to your specific needs. That is, once you determine any special requirements(floor plan changes, etc.) Newmar will almost always accomodate you when ordering a new coach. Spend some time in the model(dealers lot, RV show, etc.) that comes closest to what you want and determine what your specific needs are, then order it with your special changes.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:30 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Go with the Newmar -- I`ve owned 2 Mountain Aires -- I traded a 02 for a 07, 42ft Monaco Camelot -- I goofed -- Bill Willard
Old 03-02-2008, 06:05 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Go to the CAT RV club and do a search on late model Beavers' with high output engines. There have been issues with fuel mileage due to restrictive air intake. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...guid=289335736
Closed Thread