Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2022, 05:19 AM   #1

Bedroom A/C air flow enhancement...

From this thread...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/new...ml#post4336856

...turbopilot showed how to block the duct in the middle diffuser to increase air flow to the bedroom in post #22.

My question is this: Since the rear A/C unit is above that diffuser and presumably dumps its cold air into the middle diffuser, how does blocking the duct going aft to the bedroom increase airflow to the bedroom?

Or do I have a mistaken impression of the ducting?
Rad22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2022, 07:35 AM   #2

Blocking the duct

In my New Aire the duct goes from the front A/C unit all the way past the second A/C unit to the bedroom. The block that I believe they are talking about is put between the two A/C units. This way the second A/C unit can only feed directly down or back toward the bedroom. One of the techs at Newmar told me that some people just shove a shirt or a hoodie up into the duct between the two A/C units to mostly block it. Guess it depends how bulky the thing is that you put up there. I never tried it myself.

Bill
2019 NADP 3343
BillW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:53 PM   #3

NA Bedroom Air Another thought!

We have always thought our '19 NA 3343 bedroom cool air was deficient! We put a small 110v fan on the small counter at the foot of the bed, to keep it from being to stuffy! But my way of thinking, when sleeping, would be to have the front a/c "on only" with some cool air going into the bedroom so the a/c noise is mostly up front! With that in mind, to accomplish that, I should block off some or most of the down flow in the middle [kitchen] diffuser ? Wouldn't that give more cool air to the bedroom with just the front a/c on? Any thoughts about this out there? Thanks Gary
garyphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 07:01 AM   #4

Blocking the duct

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyphillips View Post
We have always thought our '19 NA 3343 bedroom cool air was deficient! We put a small 110v fan on the small counter at the foot of the bed, to keep it from being to stuffy! But my way of thinking, when sleeping, would be to have the front a/c "on only" with some cool air going into the bedroom so the a/c noise is mostly up front! With that in mind, to accomplish that, I should block off some or most of the down flow in the middle [kitchen] diffuser ? Wouldn't that give more cool air to the bedroom with just the front a/c on? Any thoughts about this out there? Thanks Gary

I put a fan on the counter in the bedroom to circulate air too. Both air conditioners are located above the living room. The front one above the front grill, the rear one above the grill by the kitchen sink. I don't think turning either one off would affect the noise much since they aren't in the bedroom. There is one continuous duct that runs from the front grill to the bedroom. It feels like most of the air from each unit comes directly down through the grill under the unit with a little bit going down the duct to the bedroom or the other grill. If you blocked off one of the grills then that air will come out somewhere else. So in theory what you are saying sounds like it would work. Certainly worth trying.

Bill
2019 NADP 3343
BillW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 08:40 AM   #5

FWIW, we tried what turbopilot suggested, just plugging the duct that goes from the middle diffuser to the bedroom. For whatever reason, it causes a marked increase in airflow out of the bedroom diffuser. It works.
Rad22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air