Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2020, 05:37 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bedroom Ceiling Fan

We are shopping for a new coach and are looking hard at Nemar. One thing we see that is missing on our "wants list" is a ceiling fan in the bedroom. Our current coach has one and we rely on it heavily when in warmer climates (DW hates the AC blowing but wants some air movement).

None of the Newmar levels we have looked at from DS to LA have a fan in the bedroom. I realize the AC plumbing prevents a fan from being installed over the bed but has anybody gotten around this?

I realize this may seem trivial to some but not to DW and to me so this may be a tipping point for us if we cannot resolve it in some way.
Thanks for your replies.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2020, 05:46 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I installed a ceiling fan in our '02 DSDP. Accessed the stringers through the ceiling light, cut a piece of wood to fit between the aluminum trusses and screwed the fan base into it. Ran a cord over to a cabinet and plugged it into the TV outlet. Fan was a very small diam 6 blade 120 volt hallway fan. Hard to find too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
We are shopping for a new coach and are looking hard at Nemar. One thing we see that is missing on our "wants list" is a ceiling fan in the bedroom. Our current coach has one and we rely on it heavily when in warmer climates (DW hates the AC blowing but wants some air movement).

None of the Newmar levels we have looked at from DS to LA have a fan in the bedroom. I realize the AC plumbing prevents a fan from being installed over the bed but has anybody gotten around this?

I realize this may seem trivial to some but not to DW and to me so this may be a tipping point for us if we cannot resolve it in some way.
Thanks for your replies.

We also had ceiling fan in last bus and wife still wanted one when we got the Newmar...I bought a Tower fan at Sam's Club and it skinny enough to ride on bed but works great...C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:02 PM   #4

Our 2000 DSDP came with a ceiling fan over the bed, and they are known to occasionally have a blade fall off due to road vibration and bumps. Ours dropped a blade last summer on a trip to Kansas from Virginia. The fan location is so close to the ceiling that it really didn't move much air anyway, so I'm planning to replace it with an LED light and just add a conventional fan. Our layout may allow for once to sit on the hall sink and blow into the bedroom. Haven't figured it out yet, but definitely not replacing the ceiling fan since it really wasn't much good for moving air. YMMV
tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:04 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I installed a ceiling fan in our '02 DSDP. Accessed the stringers through the ceiling light, cut a piece of wood to fit between the aluminum trusses and screwed the fan base into it. Ran a cord over to a cabinet and plugged it into the TV outlet. Fan was a very small diam 6 blade 120 volt hallway fan. Hard to find too.

Thanks for the reply...sounds like a lot of surgery to install a small fan. We installed a 12v fan with 36" blades with a remote control function a few years ago and love it. I don't see a way to do this on any of the Nemar products due to the way the AC ducts are done over the bed.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:36 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrigsby View Post
Our 2000 DSDP came with a ceiling fan over the bed, and they are known to occasionally have a blade fall off due to road vibration and bumps. Ours dropped a blade last summer on a trip to Kansas from Virginia. The fan location is so close to the ceiling that it really didn't move much air anyway, so I'm planning to replace it with an LED light and just add a conventional fan. Our layout may allow for once to sit on the hall sink and blow into the bedroom. Haven't figured it out yet, but definitely not replacing the ceiling fan since it really wasn't much good for moving air. YMMV

We have walked through several DS, MS and LA coaches from 2019-2020 and none have a fan and the salesman said Nemar will not option one due to the way the AC vents are configured over the bed. Our 12v fan sits close to the ceiling too put puts out enough air to blow out a candle. I guess all things being equal, we may end up without one and use a counter mounted fan like we do in the the main salon of our current coach to avoid the AC noise and air currents.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:22 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We have a ceiling fan in our bedroom at home and pretty much use it all year. Since our Dutch Star doesn't have one, we use the Fantastic Fans as a whole house fan. You can either open the windows by your head or escape window and then turn on a Fantastic Fan at the front of the coach, or turn on the rear bath fan and open something up, up front. This will draw the cool air through the bedroom.

The newer coaches are designed to either have the A/C on or the heater on to warm or cool the coach.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:19 AM   #8

We started out with a tall tower fan for the main living area in the coach to keep air moving, but it was like sitting in a windstorm every time it cycled around your way. We eventually bought 3 small tower fans similar to This. Have one in the bedroom and two in the living area. Turn them on low oscillate, and they keep air moving inside with no modifications and can be replaced easily if one day they don't work.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #9

I cannot sleep without some sort of air circulation, so a ceiling fan was a must for me. Personally, I don't like the small fans that sit and hum all night.
Bought one of the 36" 12v ceiling fans, and installed it on my Mountain Aire.
Pretty simple install, just need to put some reinforcing 2X4's behind it for structural support.
I wouldn't be without one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bedroom Ceiling Fan.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	276876  
Beach Aire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #10

We use two small USB powered desk fans. They have a wire stand that we hang on the knobs of the overhead cabinets. We had to pad the wire to quiet the vibration noise. We have two power strips, with USB outlets, stuck to the wall, on each side of the head of the bed to power them. We each can turn ours on/off just by reaching up at any time of the night. By each having our own we can choose to use/not use on our own. They only blow on one's head and shoulders, not the whole body. And they cost only $5 each.
Bobkat3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:42 PM   #11

We just have this fan on the counter across from the TV. It is small enough with lots of power and has a remote.

It also works great outside if you need air movement to keep bugs away or just air movement

Holmes 12” Fan on Amazon

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0370.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	276884
Bchtravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:03 PM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post

Thanks for your replies.
This may make some laugh. I.asked about a ceiling fan at a Newmar dealership and was told Newmar doesn't offer one even as an option. When I told the salesman that the Entegras have them he laughed and said, "That's because the Entegras need one where the Newmars don't". I thought that was either a good answer or that salesman was quick thinking. 😀
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #13

Not truly RV, but back in the late 80s my wife wanted a fan in the living room of the s&b... I found a Casablanca fan on closeout/open box but the blades were missing... I ordered a replacement blade set and it turns out that there are blade kits in several different lengths, colors, etc. and with 3, 4 or 5 blades and short-spaced mountings and wide-spaced mountings... It turns out that on many fans the rotor is pre-drilled and tapped to take different blade counts and types.

We located the center of the room with a laser pointer, drilled the ceiling, I went up into the attic and installed a fan mount kit across two ceiling studs. We ran the wiring and it all worked. We didn't bother with a wall mount fan / light control, just wired it to full-time power and installed a remote kit into the fan housing. But there was too little air flow because the blades were too close to the ceiling (3-4 inches). So I ordered an extension tube and lowered the motor/blade assembly by 9 to 12 inches (I forget the details) and then there was more than enough air flow. Turns out the tubes are available in several different lengths.

Hope this info helps someone...

Mike
Old 03-03-2020, 01:33 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We do the same as Dutch Star Don, open the Windows next to bed and turn on Fantastic vent, works amazing
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, fan