Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2012, 09:11 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Bedroom door

The bedroom door which is two pieces and slides to open and close has suddenly decided that it doesn't want to stay locked open. I've pushed, pushed harder, jiggled it but nothing will make it latch open for traveling. Other than putting something heavy in front of it, how can I keep it latched? I hate hearing that sudden BANG while driving.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:17 AM   #2

We use a large doorstop when we travel. Takes the what if out of it.
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If they are pocket doors there should be velcro strips inside that should hold the doors open.
My other bedroom door you have to lift door edge with toe to set latch in door frame latch holder.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
It's not a pocket door. I'll try putting my foot under it and lifting. If all else fails, I'll buy a door stop to take along. Whatever works, I always say.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
What has Newmar said about it?
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Our bedroom 1 pc pocket door is usually held open with the velcro in the back but has gotten looser where it's not reliable when traveling. We use a small spring loaded curtain rod at the top of the open door which works under all conditions as the door stop wasn't working. Haven't found a way to get to the velcro on the back of the sliding door. Someday we will ask Newmar. If anyone has info on how to replace/reposition the velcro by removing the door we would be interested.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
It's fixed! Simple once I got the stool out to stand on. Then I could see a metal pin in the front top corner of the door. I gave it a few twists, which must have screwed it out a bit, and now it works perfectly. Hope I remember this for the next time.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillie View Post
It's fixed! Simple once I got the stool out to stand on. Then I could see a metal pin in the front top corner of the door. I gave it a few twists, which must have screwed it out a bit, and now it works perfectly. Hope I remember this for the next time.
Can you get a clear picture of it. Would like to see your fix. Thanks from all of us on the forum.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by calhyatt View Post
Can you get a clear picture of it. Would like to see your fix. Thanks from all of us on the forum.
Here's a photo looking at the top of the door. I was standing on my stool in the doorway. You can see the black pin that I twisted.

I've gotten where I take pictures of everything. LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	27647  
Old 10-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #10

My 2013 Newmar has 3 pocket doors, and right away one started moving while under way. Was going to take it by a dealer. But after a close exam with my trusty flashlite I fixed it. It looked just like yours in the photo. It seams to be adjustable and I screwed it out a bit and all has been good. Did the other two just for good measure. These are spring loaded and hold the door open or closed.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE
My 2013 Newmar has 3 pocket doors, and right away one started moving while under way. Was going to take it by a dealer. But after a close exam with my trusty flashlite I fixed it. It looked just like yours in the photo. It seams to be adjustable and I screwed it out a bit and all has been good. Did the other two just for good measure. These are spring loaded and hold the door open or closed.
Ours has done the same thing... several times. I have screwed the pin out twice but after a few trips it falls back out of adjustment. Looks like I will need to pull the door down and use locktite on the pins threads.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Perhaps I should get my stool out again and take a closer look once we reach our winter place. See if there is some way to tighten it in place.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks jillie you just fixed my bathroom pocket door.

That picture is worth money.
You need a long open end wrench.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Thanks jillie you just fixed my bathroom pocket door.

That picture is worth money.
You need a long open end wrench.
Glad I could finally offer a solution that helped someone. So far I've only been asking questions and GETTING solutions

Tags
door