Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2021, 06:04 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Bedroom Door Failure on 2021 Dutch Star

The system that holds the two sliding bedroom doors together on our 2021 Dutch Star have failed repeatedly. In fact, as long as we have owned this RV, the doors have never worked. The dealer (Transwest in Frederick Colorado) has "repaired" them now three times - once before initial delivery (they were dangling independently when we first toured the vehicle), once after our first trip after delivery, and again two weeks ago. In each instance, the doors separated and started banging back and forth while we were driving down the road. Not bumpy roads - paved state highways in excellent condition. The most recent failure occurred within 3 hours of our leaving to go camping!

Anyone else ever had this problem, or have any insights into what the cause of these repeated failures might be?

Thanks, Erik & Anne
Erik & Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2021, 07:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum Eric & Anne
The double doors have had problems before in other coach's and new guides would seem to be one answer on the floor to guide the doors correctly.
The search will give you different problems with the doors and what was done to fix them, with out a picture I can not guess how they have guided them when closed or open. I am sure one of the threads will give you what is needed for your problem. THE SEARCH
Another link will help you with other items in your coach.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 11:37 PM   #3

Both my Dutch Star and now my London Aire did the same thing. While traveling the moment of the doors would make them jump out of the bottom guides.

I installed this little snap strap. The side you see is screwed into the door frame and on the door is a snap that the other end attaches to.

Since doing this I have never had a problem again with the doors coming out of the bottom guides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210718-222157_Gallery.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	336510  
sramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:31 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Sramer. The strap idea looks like it might be the way we have to go if another attempt at a fix fails again!

007: There are no floor guides, the doors "float" on the hangers above with about a 3 inch gap between the doors and the floor.

Erik & Anne
Old 07-19-2021, 07:53 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik & Anne View Post
Thanks Sramer. The strap idea looks like it might be the way we have to go if another attempt at a fix fails again!

007: There are no floor guides, the doors "float" on the hangers above with about a 3 inch gap between the doors and the floor.

Erik & Anne
Interesting. Our 2020 Kountry Star has a small bracket on the floor. I had to remove and reinstall it once in the last 18 months when the door somehow jumped the bracket and became jammed. I can't imagine the door movement for and aft while driving without this bracket in place. Maybe it was overlooked during the original build?

I just went on Newmar website and looked at the 360 view for the Dutch Star and can not see the same brackets. Must be a different design.
RVStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:35 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks RVStichy. I am sure you will LOVE your new Dutch Star!
Old 07-19-2021, 03:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
There should be a guide on the floor to help keep doors separated so they do not bang into each other.
The search links I gave you has some threads on how people solved the problem with theirs, Newmar should be installing them when they build your coach.
The guide is not in the middle of the floor but at the edge of the pocket opening, its up to you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:54 PM   #8

A friend with the same issue, drilled a hole thru the doors and the wall and ran a bolt thru to secure them. I have the same doors but no issue.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:35 PM   #9

This was a recurring problem on my 2016 4369. The problem was that the bottom guide on the inner door was made of plastic and the center spine broke at both ends allowing the doors to slip off the brackets. See the first two photos. The price for a replacement guide from Newmar was way too much.

I fixed the problem by removing the doors and replacing the plastic guide on the bottom with a 1/2" aluminum C channel and a piece of 1/4" x 1/4" aluminum angle I picked up at Lowes. I drilled holes in the aluminum and nailed both the C channel and the angle to the base of the door. It fit perfectly. See 3rd photo. No issues since.

I also use a velcro strap similar to what sramer uses to hold the doors closed while we are driving.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181119_135918.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	336582   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181119_140034.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	336583  

Name:	20210719_095450.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	336584  
ftharrisiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:00 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Nice mod! I think all of the Newmarket line has this problem. The only unbelievable part of the OP’s post is the fact that he has had the work completed in Frederick, Colorado and was driving on smooth paved highways!
Old 07-20-2021, 08:18 PM   #11

Bedroom door failure

Keeping the sliding doors in the closed position while driving stops the banging while driving. However the doors can still separate from the latch if the screws in the latch loosen. Then the doors will not bang while driving but can still separate. The doors are then separated while the coach is stationary. My experience was that maneuvering in and out of steep graded driveways, sometimes called the “Wal-Mart wobble,” would stress and loosen the screws from the latch and the doors would separate. Some lock tight on the screws for that connection solved my problem.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sramer View Post
Both my Dutch Star and now my London Aire did the same thing. While traveling the moment of the doors would make them jump out of the bottom guides.

I installed this little snap strap. The side you see is screwed into the door frame and on the door is a snap that the other end attaches to.

Since doing this I have never had a problem again with the doors coming out of the bottom guides.
Like others I have fixed mine multiple times. I like the simple low tech way the author has addressed this. Can you tell me where I can find the snap strap or what to search under. Thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
lrwinddancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:30 AM   #13

We have also fixed our various times. We pulled the piece that runs in the track and noticed that it looked bent out a bit. We squared off the end that runs in the rail to a good 90 degree angle and that has fixed our issues. Prior to that we could figure it would come out of the track every few drives.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrwinddancer View Post
Like others I have fixed mine multiple times. I like the simple low tech way the author has addressed this. Can you tell me where I can find the snap strap or what to search under. Thanks

I use a Velcro strap I picked up at Lowe’s.

Name:	20210719_095347.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	336786
ftharrisiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, dutch star