Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2022, 09:50 AM   #1

Bedroom Slide Failure

I have a 2017 Ventana 3436. The bedroom slide motor failed( motor gear sheared off) in 2019. The drive motor was replaced and it just happened again. I have had other RVs with slides and never had one fail, let alone twice. Anyone else have this issue?
Shell Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2022, 11:13 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is a known problem and there are lots of posts on the subject and what to do to take of it.

Here is one such post.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/wit...ts-565273.html

Bottom line is that the bolts work there way loose and they need to be secured better to avoid the problem.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:04 PM   #3

Just came from Newmar Gathering in Quartzsite and checked 20 coaches slide out motor bolts and all but one New Aire with only one electric slide out motor didn't have numerous loose bolts. Most had a little Loctite on the the last 2 or 3 threads from the top of the bolt. Many didn't have serrated bolts and again any Loctite. One DS owner came to the Gathering with a non working slide out caused by the bolts coming loose and damaging the motor. He said he will be going to Newmar in March for repairs.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:06 PM   #4

The "loose motor bolt" problem on Newmar's electric slides is a common problem, well documented here. As a result I generally tighten my bolts each month. However, my bedroom slide mechanism is not at all like the other slides, and the bolts on my bedroom slide motor have never needed any tightening. Just as a reference.

Ed Headington
2013 Ventana LE 3434
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:24 AM   #5

My 2019 ventana bedroom slides have motor bracket bolts that are perpendicular to the shaft and do not seem to loosen. My kitchen slide bolts are parallel to the shaft and require regular tightening. That said I've had a bedroom slide motor replaced that had developed enough play in the shaft so that the gears would unmesh under load.
RVific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 12:54 AM   #6

On our '17 3436 we had a bedroom slide motor needing replacement shortly after we purchased the coach used in 2019. Our issue was the trans bushing had broken up and then chewing up on the motor drive shaft. The dealer, Guaranty RV in Junction City OR replaced the motor and the bushing. My suspicion is the motor and gear shaft were not in correct alignment causing the bushing to disintegrate. The base of the motor had broken its base in the process, although I had repaired it to be able to use if needed. (After the dealer installed the new motor they gave it back to me. Unfortunately I didn't inspect it until I got home a couple days later: the shaft was still good.) They could have reused the original motor was my thought. Haven't had any trouble since then.

Newmar used self drilling (tapping) washer headed screws into the slide frame to mount the motor. About a quarter inch in diameter if I recall. I thought that somewhat strange when I saw that. All other motors on the coach are bolted.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 06:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell Man View Post
I have a 2017 Ventana 3436. The bedroom slide motor failed( motor gear sheared off) in 2019. The drive motor was replaced and it just happened again. I have had other RVs with slides and never had one fail, let alone twice. Anyone else have this issue?
Yes-- had 2 fail ( I posted a response to your other post) .... Newmar's slideout engineering, at least in older coaches like mine , is crude, at best.
In addition to the internal gearbox failures ( broken teeth) , I've had a gear case split open, a transtorque fitting fail, welds on the stop rod bracket break, the chain on the front kitchen slide break... I'm always wondering what's going to break next when I open or close the slides.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:10 AM   #8

Bedroom slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Just came from Newmar Gathering in Quartzsite and checked 20 coaches slide out motor bolts and all but one New Aire with only one electric slide out motor didn't have numerous loose bolts. Most had a little Loctite on the the last 2 or 3 threads from the top of the bolt. Many didn't have serrated bolts and again any Loctite. One DS owner came to the Gathering with a non working slide out caused by the bolts coming loose and damaging the motor. He said he will be going to Newmar in March for repairs.
Newmar Man
Just curious as to how many of the slides that had loose bolts were bedroom slide motors.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:55 AM   #9

Found 2 different slide out motor attachments on the 20 different coaches on the bed slide. !5 had the regular 5/16 and 4 bolts holding the motor in place and each check had at least one loose bolt. There were 5 that had a larger motor that was attached with large sheet metal screws that looked much improved and stronger. There screws were just a little loose. Learned many Newmar's have different systems and have to say from year to year, model to model and length to length. What electric slide out motor assembly you have you to look before you know which systems it has. Some had 2 motors on a small slide and others had only one on a large slide.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 08:57 AM   #10

Bedroom slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
This is a known problem and there are lots of posts on the subject and what to do to take of it.

Here is one such post.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/wit...ts-565273.html

Bottom line is that the bolts work there way loose and they need to be secured better to avoid the problem.
also understand that the stop switch must be adjusted properly so the motor shuts off after the slide is completely in or out because it puts undo pressure on the drive gears which could also cause a problem.
Old 01-28-2022, 02:58 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I just had Stage 8 fasteners installed on the 2 kitchen/living area slide out electric motors as well as the bedroom slide out motor. After having one of the kitchen motors shear off and the bedroom motor shear off. I said enough of this insanity. Shame on Newmar for not re-engineering these motor mounts, and since they have chosen not to do this they should install Stage 8 fasteners on all coaches.
Sugaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:51 PM   #12

Newmar likes to brag about their claim to have invented the slide out. That may be true but it seems to me it's about time to update the engineering. Ford claims to have invented the automobile too but they aren't still selling Model A's.

Technology has improved significantly since the invention of the slide out. I've had 9 motorhomes and 2 travel trailers with slides and none have been as troublesome as my 2019 Newmar. They are so finicky I'd never let some rookie dealer service tech touch them.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:37 PM   #13

I went round & round with the best fix. . .I have 4 slide motors, 1 for bedroom! Yes, this product is a little pricey, but nowhere near the cost of a broken motor mount and ruined vacation. I paid full price and was very satisfied with their fix for this problem. I summarized my install here:

https://www.stage8.com/stage-8-pro-t...eane-shockley/
Kshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 05:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshock View Post
I went round & round with the best fix. . .I have 4 slide motors, 1 for bedroom! Yes, this product is a little pricey, but nowhere near the cost of a broken motor mount and ruined vacation. I paid full price and was very satisfied with their fix for this problem. I summarized my install here:

https://www.stage8.com/stage-8-pro-t...eane-shockley/
The link ends up at a 404 error page.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide