Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yesterday we went to the RV to clean and remove stuff acquired on our winter tour. I lifted the bed to remove items from there. I found the bed frame badly damaged. Long story short I repaired it and believe I know what happened. In Arizona my mother in law visited and my DW tells me the story about when (Betty) attempted to turn on the light in the bedroom and accidentally hit the slide switch a few inches from the light switch. The slide came in and she wasn't aware it was coming in until the bed pushed against her legs. She then said, (Kaye, would you come in here). Kaye saw in horror what was happening and jumped on the bed so she could reach the slide switch. Good news is it stopped before her legs were cut off. Bad news is when Kaye jumped on the bed, the frame moved some and the rail system got caught on the short storage box and distorted the frame. Some of the frame separated and needed glued and screwed to restore it's shape.

Our 35 ft Mountain Aire has a chest of drawers and a TV above it. Under the TV toward the front is the light switch and just behind it is the slide switch. When it's dark and you try to find the light switch you can accidentally hit the slide switch. To me this is a real design flaw and very dangerous place to put this. It is even worse if you are hearing impaired and don't hear the slide coming in. There is no safety sensor to detect a person there.

Anyone have the issue and what can you do to avoid this from happening other that more education to everyone aboard. I do want to design a safety cover for the switch some how.

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yesterday we went to the RV to clean and remove stuff acquired on our winter tour. I lifted the bed to remove items from there. I found the bed frame badly damaged. Long story short I repaired it and believe I know what happened. In Arizona my mother in law visited and my DW tells me the story about when (Betty) attempted to turn on the light in the bedroom and accidentally hit the slide switch a few inches from the light switch. The slide came in and she wasn't aware it was coming in until the bed pushed against her legs. She then said, (Kaye, would you come in here). Kaye saw in horror what was happening and jumped on the bed so she could reach the slide switch. Good news is it stopped before her legs were cut off. Bad news is when Kaye jumped on the bed, the frame moved some and the rail system got caught on the short storage box and distorted the frame. Some of the frame separated and needed glued and screwed to restore it's shape.

Our 35 ft Mountain Aire has a chest of drawers and a TV above it. Under the TV toward the front is the light switch and just behind it is the slide switch. When it's dark and you try to find the light switch you can accidentally hit the slide switch. To me this is a real design flaw and very dangerous place to put this. It is even worse if you are hearing impaired and don't hear the slide coming in. There is no safety sensor to detect a person there.

Anyone have the issue and what can you do to avoid this from happening other that more education to everyone aboard. I do want to design a safety cover for the switch some how.

Thanks.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Kaye, the 03 that I have has the same setup for switchs. I have warned everyone and shown them also but people forget and as you say in the dark its hard to determine which switch you have your finger on.
The control unit for slide should sense the leg of someone, as long as its not moved, and added current draw should stop motor from running.
Have never looked into a cap over slide switch but its a good idea. Maybe someone has come up with a simple fix. I'll take alook in AM and see what could be used myself.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:29 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks 007. We are actually leaving tomorrow for the Glen Ayr Resort on the Hood Canal in Washington. We are meeting up with 6 other rigs and some pretty good fabricators. Maybe they can help.

Larry
Old 05-22-2008, 06:44 AM   #5

Hi! I wonder how hard of an upgrade it is to have the slides like the newer units. The slides will not move unless you are holding the switch. Maybe it is an easy upgrade? Paul
Old 05-22-2008, 08:48 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good idea Paul. I would have to move or relocate the switch somehow or run a new set of wires from the controller. The controller seems to need just a momentary voltage to start and latches. Would be a good call to Newmar tech support to find out. Thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 09:14 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
For the cheap and simple fix, consider covering the switch(es). Google "protective switch covers" to begin your search. Local hardware stores may also have switch covers.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:06 AM   #8

Easy fix: remove the slide out fuses.

I am doing this until the switches are replaced with push/hold switches. Additionally there have been inadvertent slide deployments or retractions with some of the earlier power-lock controllers.

2005 Dutch Star
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 03:18 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Slides
We have a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 38ft Front and Rear Slide. We have experienced the Rear slide closing by it's self on 2 occasions.We consider this a very serious safety issue.Have not been able to get Newmar to admit theyare aware of this problem. Are any other Newmarowners aware of, or experienced this? UDon
ED, I notice that you have a 05 coach the same year as UDon's DP, I wonder what they have changed in the control unit.
How did they fix yours or will it possibly happen again.
In the 8 years of owning Newmar's this is the first year I have heard this happening on 05's. 007

This has happened to quite a number of 2005 Newmar's that have the Power Locks, which was an option for the 2005 models, Newmar replaced the controllers. Newmar went to a different controller if you ordered your unit with the Power Locks, you didn't have to be near a airport for this occurrence to happen it could be as common as a garage door opener to trigger slide to activate. Ed.S

THANKS ED for your follow up all 05 owners should look into problem if they have power locks, the control units must have a serial# to check with Newmar to see if they may have a problem with their control unit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On my 05 Dutch Star, I have three original equipment slide controllers, those with serial numbers ending with 000. The operator pushes the appropriate slide out button momentarily and the whole slide sequence begins.

One control unit has already been replaced (ser # ends with 100) and is controlled by a push button that must be held down during the entire slide sequence or the sequence stops. I believe Newmar added this as a safety feature.

At this time I must pull the slide out fuses to be assured they will not operate without warning. As I am now parked under Otis Air Force Base I would like to have the original equipment slide controllers replaced under warrantee before I forget to remove the fuse and they open or close without warning.

I have the following information from my slide control units:
Passenger side front slide (replaced)
000-00719-100
SLIDEOUT

Passenger side rear (bedroom) slide
00-00719-000
S/L OUT W/V

Drivers side front slide
00-00719-000
S/L OUT W/V

Drivers side rear (bedroom) slide
00-00719-000
S/L OUT W/V

2005 Dutch Star
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
BTW, I have now found my solution for the pesky slide switch that gets hit by mistake when feeling for the light switch under the TV and over the vanity.

It cost less than $3.00 at a really large hardware store here in Seattle. It's called a "Switch Guard by Hemco SG-1). Made by American Tack and Hardware company. The holes are an exact fit for the slide switch plate. This was designed to protect Light Switches that Control Dusk to Dawn & motion Activated controls from being turned off. It just allows the finger to fit into the side and slide back activating the momentary slide switch. Works slick. It maybe too small for some fingers but fits mine.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for that information Kaye & Larry I have added to the Quick Tips.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote