Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2020, 03:59 PM   #1

Bedroom slide operation

Our 2019 Ventana 3412 has a small bedroom slide opposite the bed that covers the washer/dryer doors when closed. Its operation seems strange since the top tilts so far out when extending, it almost seems to fall outward, and then the bottom catches up. Today the top of the slide only moved part way out and still had about 6 inches to move when the motor amped out because the bottom was fully extended. I tried several times before I stopped the slide and threw my weight into pushing out the top of the slide and successfully pushed it the remaining 6 inches. The slide is now fully extended. I don't see anything but gravity that causes the top of the slide to extend. I spray lubed the lock arms with no change. Anybody have any suggestions? I think this problem is likely to continue. It can't just be the slide seals dragging on the sides of the slide can it?
RVific is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2020, 04:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVific View Post
Our 2019 Ventana 3412 has a small bedroom slide opposite the bed that covers the washer/dryer doors when closed. Its operation seems strange since the top tilts so far out when extending, it almost seems to fall outward, and then the bottom catches up. Today the top of the slide only moved part way out and still had about 6 inches to move when the motor amped out because the bottom was fully extended. I tried several times before I stopped the slide and threw my weight into pushing out the top of the slide and successfully pushed it the remaining 6 inches. The slide is now fully extended. I don't see anything but gravity that causes the top of the slide to extend. I spray lubed the lock arms with no change. Anybody have any suggestions? I think this problem is likely to continue. It can't just be the slide seals dragging on the sides of the slide can it?

Just off the top of my head...

I think all the Ventana slides have toppers on them.... check the topper to make sure it's opening properly...

Could be something stuck/jammed up with the topper, causing it to pull back against the slide as it's moving outward..

Other than that, check for some kind of obstruction, or something rubbing against the slide as it's deploying.. obviously towards the top half..

Good luck with the repair...
Old 12-27-2020, 10:42 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Ok,I have the exact same 2019 ventana 3412. We were having some noise with opening that slide, but no problems opening/closing. We had it checked when we were at napanese in 10/19. They found that they were not installing 2 rollers under that slide on all ventanas so it was more like metal sliding on metal. They did not know how long this had been going on for,but perhaps the entire 2019 production. They stopped the production line and put them on all the slides in production.
Our fix was not so easy. We had multiple engineers look at the issue and there is no easy way to retrofit the slide without completely removing it. We did not have the time to stay another couple of weeks to get that done and they assured me that we should not have problems with this as the slide is so light and they would fix in future if needed. They did recommend spraying lubricant on the metal slide supports.
I don’t know if this has anything to do with your current situation but I wonder.
Would lub the metal support. I don’t have my paperwork for this with me but can look up more details if needed.
Jaxrheum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:21 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxrheum View Post
They found that they were not installing 2 rollers under that slide on all ventanas so it was more like metal sliding on metal. They did not know how long this had been going on for,but perhaps the entire 2019 production.
Interesting. Was this for Ventana or the Ventana LE? We have the 2019 Ventana LE 3412, the bedroom slides both have rollers.
Old 12-27-2020, 04:10 PM   #5

Could the spring in the slide topper (that rolls up the topper when the slide is retracted) be too tight?
Old 12-27-2020, 04:18 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmholt View Post
Could the spring in the slide topper (that rolls up the topper when the slide is retracted) be too tight?
I would not think so, I would call Newmar Customer Service and see what they say. Do you know if the slide topper awning is Carefree?
Old 12-27-2020, 04:58 PM   #7

OP. It seems like the slide topper might be a likely candidate and might prevent the top of the slide from extending although I'm not sure how I would determine if it was tensioned correctly. I wonder if it could freeze it such a way to only allow partial extension. Sees unlikely but we have been in snow and sub-freezing temperatures. Will check when we move again in a few days. Heading South.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:02 PM   #8

OP. Well the slide came in successfully but I can hear the topper mechanism making odd spranging noises. Next stop I intend to take the cover off and spray some silicone lube. I mean practically anything can benefit from that. It's a carefree topper but I'm not sure what variety. In the attached picture the upper right screw is a different shoulder screw do i assume the cover can pivot up on that once the lower screw is removed Some videos show the shoulder screw on the bottom and the cover pivoting down, some show a latch in the center which I don't seem to have. Has anyone removed the cover on one of the topper varieties in the picture?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20201228_155625.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	312721  
Old 12-31-2020, 12:10 PM   #9

I'll answer my own question. These are Carefree Ascent toppers. Seems just the shoulder bolt, upper right, gets removed and the cover swings down easily. I sprayed silicone on the roller end hardware, the only that's visible. The rollout tension is such that you can just push down the the topper to turn the reel and distribute the lubricant. Hope it helps.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:12 PM   #10

By the way, there's a model and serial number sticker under the cover.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:30 PM   #11

After putting lube on the topper, are you saying you think the topper was the issue...??
Old 01-06-2021, 11:15 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
We're having the same issue on our 2014. Started doing this about a year ago. We've started giving it some "help" when extending/retracting which reduces the massive stiction that seems to be occurring. My thought has been the topper as well, although our is a Dometic topper. We've got an appointment at a service center in a couple weeks to look at this, as well as another issue we have with our LV Room slide.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:38 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
It doesn't matter what topper MFG you have they will all bind some time in its life, readjustment of spring or lube solves the problem.
In this sticky you will find many more problems with slides you should make yourself aware of, plus many other items.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide