Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2021, 01:21 PM   #1

Bedroom slide out clicking when going out

Hello
Here's a video of my bedroom slide out, it's clicking and stops as it goes out. No problem as it comes in. (I need to clean under there...) https://youtu.be/2ydUBLZ1yW8 thanks in advance for any assistance
mrome54369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2021, 02:38 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
If that's a Schwintek (Lippert In Wall Slide) you may need to lubricate the mechanism. Just do a search on YouTube and there is a good video on how to do it.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
If that's a Schwintek (Lippert In Wall Slide) you may need to lubricate the mechanism. Just do a search on YouTube and there is a good video on how to do it.

Check your slide motor mounting bolts
Breezy2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:06 PM   #4

Sounds like its trying to travel past the stop. Thats the sound you here on manual slides when you hold the button after the slide has reached its limit. Probably need to adjust the travel distance on the slide.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:19 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Fort View Post
Sounds like its trying to travel past the stop. Thats the sound you here on manual slides when you hold the button after the slide has reached its limit. Probably need to adjust the travel distance on the slide.
Yes, that makes sense. I'm searching iRV2 for how to adjust the travel distance on the bedroom slide.
thanks
Mike
Old 01-09-2021, 08:15 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a search on bedroom slide adjustment.
Here is info if its a threaded rod.
And in this link you will find many more answers for slide problems, plus many more item.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";5589391]Here is a [B][URL="https://www.google.com/search?ei=8cb5X4a-EtG1ggebt7XwCw&q=Newmar+adjust+travel+of+bedroom+s lide+site%3Airv2.com&oq=Newmar+adjust+travel+of+be droom+slide+site%3Airv2.com&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQDFC BsANY-9oDYOzhBGgAcAB4AIABY4gBswSSAQE4mAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXd pesABAQ&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjG-v3ekI_uAhXRmuAKHZtbDb4Q4dUDCA0
search[/URL][/B] on bedroom slide adjustment.
Here is info if its a threaded rod.
And in this link you will find many more answers for slide problems, plus many more item.
It is a threaded rod. Limiting nut is two feet from the "going out" stop when the motor stops and makes the clicking noise so no adjustment to be made there. I'm probably busting something but leaning against the bed with my knee with approx. 40 lbs. pressure allows the motor to continue taking the bedroom slide out. I whipped off grit/dust on the rollers I could reach but there must be enough resistance somewhere to cause the motor to sense the increased voltage and stop. Bringing the bedroom slide in goes smoothly, just does this stop on the way out. There is a circuit board for the bedroom slide out in the basement directly underneath, has a voltage adjuster on it but turning it up or down does not remedy the problem
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	313959  
Old 01-09-2021, 12:00 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is the top of the slide hesitating as it moves out could be your slide topper is binding, spring needs adjustment or needs some spray lube to run more smoothly if something is binding on out ward movement the control will shut off as it is doing, something caught under slide or topper control operating correctly.
There is another thread now on this forum with same problem check it out.
Any MFG topper can do same thing.
Check you motor mounting bolts if loose will indicate a problem about to happen, the large sticky has a check list on motor mounting problems.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
Is the top of the slide hesitating as it moves out could be your slide topper is binding, spring needs adjustment or needs some spray lube to run more smoothly if something is binding on out ward movement the control will shut off as it is doing, something caught under slide or topper control operating correctly.
There is another thread now on this forum with same problem check it out.
Any MFG topper can do same thing.
Check you motor mounting bolts if loose will indicate a problem about to happen, the large sticky has a check list on motor mounting problems.
I'll check and lubricate the slide topper and seals, looks some more for obstructions. As the slide goes out, there is an on and off hesitancy before it stops. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2021, 11:08 AM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It sounds like your motor is amping out as it hits an obstruction, something it's designed to do at the end of it's normal travel (like when the slide is full open or closed and you continue to hold the button down).

You need to check for something obstructing it on the way out and not on the way in. Have you looked under the slide on the outside. You may have had one of the metal plates come loose that the slide rides on.

Also watch the slide topper while someone operates the slide. Make sure it's not pulling hard on the top of the slide.

Lastly, are you operating the slide while the coach is plugged in or the engine running?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:28 PM   #11

Mine did the same thing. Giving it a little push would get it going again. I found that it was one of the gears in the gearcase with a chipped/broken tooth when I took the gearcase apart. Giving that little push got it past that broken area and it resumed.
If you have a mechanics stethoscope ( or just a plain long shaft screw driver) put it on the gearcase while operating the motor and if that is indeed the problem, you'll hear it. Good luck.. I found that you had to buy an entire motor/gearcase assembly.... my ESP covered it, otherwise, it would be about $1000.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
It sounds like your motor is amping out as it hits an obstruction, something it's designed to do at the end of it's normal travel (like when the slide is full open or closed and you continue to hold the button down).

You need to check for something obstructing it on the way out and not on the way in. Have you looked under the slide on the outside. You may have had one of the metal plates come loose that the slide rides on.

Also watch the slide topper while someone operates the slide. Make sure it's not pulling hard on the top of the slide.

Lastly, are you operating the slide while the coach is plugged in or the engine running?
I took off the slide topper, took the slide in and on the way out motor still amped out though it felt much easier to nudge it to get the motor moving the slide out. No obstructions that I can see, I'm plugged into 50amp service. Here's a link to photos of the rollers, bedroom slide rack and pinion system. https://photos.app.goo.gl/nZoa1ev2J6Gc6PRv8.
Thank you everyone for the help, I'm taking a break from this effort, may try to find someone in Tucson to try and fix.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Mine did the same thing. Giving it a little push would get it going again. I found that it was one of the gears in the gearcase with a chipped/broken tooth when I took the gearcase apart. Giving that little push got it past that broken area and it resumed.
If you have a mechanics stethoscope ( or just a plain long shaft screw driver) put it on the gearcase while operating the motor and if that is indeed the problem, you'll hear it. Good luck.. I found that you had to buy an entire motor/gearcase assembly.... my ESP covered it, otherwise, it would be about $1000.
Thanks PanJH, did yours work on the way in?
Old 01-10-2021, 05:06 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Okay....last idea..... when you get the energy to dive back in. If yours is similar to mine and my last DS, once the black wooden covers are removed from under the bed, there are four bolts on each side of the bed. You'll see them about mid bed when you look down into the box (see photo below). They're large, I believe 3/4" bolts. Newmar, who never uses washers, assembled these four bolts and nuts in oversized holes. The holes were big enough that the bolt heads and nuts could work their way down into the holes and loosen up. They keep the slide square in the hole. You may want to check that these are not loose or moved, causing the slide to shift. When I looked at your photos of the drive gear where it grabs the holes in the slide and moves it in and out, the wear is in the 11:00 or 1:00 position, depending on how you look at it, rather than grabbing the hole in the center. I don't know if this is critical.

I would check those bolts, if yours has them, and see if they look like they've shifted or are bound up. Maybe even loosen them and see how the slide acts at the sticking point.

Several of us removed those bolts and added washers on both sides. The nuts are underneath the assembly. When you reinstall with washers, it's easier to feed the bolt up through the hole and put the nuts on top.

Name:   IMG_7617.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  22.1 KB
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out