Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Bedroom slide out lock arm assembly won't release

I went to put the bedroom slide out and it twisted due to one of the upper slide out locks not releasing. This is the interior white lock that flips up when you put the slide in. There is an exterior black paddle that is connected to the interior white lock. When the slide is pulled in, the black paddle is compressed and the white latch goes up to lock the slide in. I can't release the white interior lock and I can't remove the exterior plate to remove the spring loaded rod that reaches from the the black paddle to the white latch. That's my understanding after my conversation with Newmar today. Currently, the latched upper corner is flush, the same side lower corner is up over the trim, and the other side is out about an inch and a half. Putting this out there to see if there is any experience to assist with getting the slide all in so I can get to a repair shop eventually. 2017 DSDP 4018.
CMHMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8645.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	299498Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8646.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	511.9 KB
ID:	299499Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8647.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	299500Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8648.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	299501
Old 09-01-2020, 08:25 PM   #3

Can you get to the top and spray some lubricant into the hole where the rod runs up and down, there is a hole where the cam pushes the white lock up and down. Once you get some lube into the shaft housing, maybe you can work the slide in and out, breaking the rod that controls the slide lice loose.

I bought my coach, 17 DSDP, from a dealer on the coast, they left the slides out causing rust to form inside the lock shaft housing. Once I lubed all the slide lock shafts and housing, no more issues..

Hopefully you can get in there to get some lube or penetrating oil in there...
ddowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:35 AM   #4

Have you checked to see if you have a broken bearing? That happened to me & wouldn't allow the lock to function. If it's not a bearing issue you can remove the entire top piece & leave the slide lock inoperable (but functioning slide).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Broken bearing in slide lock 1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	299534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken bearing in slide lock 2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	299535  

twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:53 AM   #5

Here is a diagram. If issue is a broken bearing relax. It's easy to change out & you'll be back in business in no time. If it's not that & flapper is simply fixed in the up position you might still be able to just remove entire top piece while slide is closed. You'll remove the two lag bolts on top (covered in silicone) and raise/lift the white flapper mechanism. You'll see a locking pin secured with a cotter pin connecting it to the rod. Just remove the pin & remove the whole non functioning part. This will allow the slide to operate. While open you can easily remove bottom assembly & rod & find out what is wrong.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Slide Lock Assembly.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	299536  
Old 09-02-2020, 04:15 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
Have you checked to see if you have a broken bearing? That happened to me & wouldn't allow the lock to function. If it's not a bearing issue you can remove the entire top piece & leave the slide lock inoperable (but functioning slide).
I believe it is a broken bearing. There seems to be a lot of pressure on it so apprehensive about loosening that allen screw. But, this is in a bedroom slide and I don't see any possible way to get back to that allen screw. I can barely see it, but magnified this pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2972.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	299598  
Old 09-04-2020, 01:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHMike View Post
I believe it is a broken bearing. There seems to be a lot of pressure on it so apprehensive about loosening that allen screw. But, this is in a bedroom slide and I don't see any possible way to get back to that allen screw. I can barely see it, but magnified this pic.
It is under some pressure. When the slide closes it squeezes the "paddle" outside & that drives the long rod upward pushing the inside mechanism open. If it's a bad bearing (pic looks like a bad bearing) this is what I would do; Unscrew the allen screw (it's the actual axle for the bearing). Certainly retain the screw but the bad bearing will likely just fall through into the open space that houses the rod. Once you free up the top piece you can open the slide & access to the bottom to remove the bearing. The inside piece that wouldn't close should close now & you should be able to open the slide. SLOWLY watching to make sure it is going down. Below is another pic I just took showing the part, bearing, & allen. Obviously all this is ten times easier if the slide is open.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0788.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	299780  
Old 09-05-2020, 06:47 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you. Excellent help. I will see what I can do. The challenge is getting to the allen screw. I have to figure that out.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:48 AM   #9

Wow.
Amazing that you folks could/would jump in and diagnose and help so readily, including the diagrams.

Just happened to catch this thread - nice job!
Gotta love the forum and the folks who make it so great.

Tags
slide, slide out