Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2019, 03:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bedroom slide shifted

We have a 17 DS 4369 and the bedroom slide out has shifted towards the front of the coach - forward gap 1/2 the rear gap. I don't know when it happened so I don't know how to move it back....does putting pressure on the front face while it goes in and out move it?!! I have pinched the corner trim piece so I'm worried it will get worse.
Has anyone had this experience and if so what do I do?
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Stuart W" can probably give more info on this as he pointed it out to me.....but I believe the issue are the rollers and how they're attached. If you lift the bed and then remove the four panels, under the bed, you'll expose the slide mechanism. If you look on both sides, along the sides of the bed frame, you'll see rollers sliding in a track. They use four large bolts, lock washers and nuts to secure the roller assemblies in place. As is common for Newmar, they refuse to use flat washers under lock washers, when the bolt hole is bigger than the lock washer. Consequently, the bolts come loose and the slide can move forward or back.

The bolts, are installed downward through the roller mounts and then a lock washer and nut are installed. If you remove the bolt, it can be reinstalled from the bottom up. Add a flat washer, then the lock washer and nut. If you remove all the bolts at once, the roller will want to jump out of the track. Remove only two bolts at a time and add the flat washers.

Once all have bene corrected, you'll need to probaby snug the bolts some and work the slide in and out several times, walking it back to the center, then tighten all nuts.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like a project for tomorrow!
Old 03-18-2019, 05:25 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi BGDDYRV,
I have the same problem. Had it since the coach was new. If all is tight and the Dutch Star Don tutorial will not fix the problem try this:

Raise the front of the coach as far as you can and deploy the one slide. Then level. Time to leave, repeat the process. When the front of the coach is always above the rear, the slide will slowly (over many extensions/retractions) move back to the center of the reveal. This has worked for me for 14 years.

It is interesting the slide never moves too far to the rear. It gets to the middle of the reveal and stays there.

I have 3 of my 4 slides do this. For me, the coach stops faster than it gains speed. Stands to reason the slide will slowly work its' way forward.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
GaryKD method does work but if you have a gas coach instead of lifting jacks in front find a steep drive way or road safe to move slides.
Diesels have a heavy chassis rails, gas coach not so much rails may flex and cause compartment door problems
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:20 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
The reason the slide slides forward is the force applied to it while braking. The cause is as Don mentioned the 4 mounting bolts on each side that go through plywood loosen up, another case of lock washers in an application where they fall into a slotted bracket. Lock washers are basically springs, as long as even pressure is applied all the way around them while tightening, the “ spring” is compressed applying pressure to the threads of the fasteners, I reversed the bolts to come up from the bottom because it’s easier to get the washer in place. In this picture you can see on side of the bed, the 4 bolts are prior to my repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7617.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	238664  
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:15 PM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
The reason the slide slides forward is the force applied to it while braking. The cause is as Don mentioned the 4 mounting bolts on each side that go through plywood loosen up, another case of lock washers in an application where they fall into a slotted bracket. Lock washers are basically springs, as long as even pressure is applied all the way around them while tightening, the “ spring” is compressed applying pressure to the threads of the fasteners, I reversed the bolts to come up from the bottom because it’s easier to get the washer in place. In this picture you can see on side of the bed, the 4 bolts are prior to my repair.
Obviously, from the "before" photo, Newmar does have flat washers on hand during the build. Now, the trick is to get them to put them in the right places...like under lock washers.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:01 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe they're like crack cocaine to the Amish and they only issue them so many a week!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:14 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Obviously, from the "before" photo, Newmar does have flat washers on hand during the build. Now, the trick is to get them to put them in the right places...like under lock washers.

TJ

Yea even though the head of the bolts almost fit through the hole in the washer [emoji51]
Minimizing clamping force
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the info. I did jack the front higher and dropped the rear and the slide did center. When I get home I will do the bolts as these shouldn't be moving at all!! The kitchen slide didn't move but I should check it as well....where is that assembly under the couch?
Old 03-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYRV View Post
We have a 17 DS 4369 and the bedroom slide out has shifted towards the front of the coach - forward gap 1/2 the rear gap. I don't know when it happened so I don't know how to move it back....does putting pressure on the front face while it goes in and out move it?!! I have pinched the corner trim piece so I'm worried it will get worse.
Has anyone had this experience and if so what do I do?
Thanks
We have do not have a Newmar but possibly lower the coach and lift the front up as high as safely possible then slide it in and out a few times. May find its natural center.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well I need to get on those bolts as the slide did move forward during the trip home (200 miles)All the other slides were still good.
Thanks for the heads up on this issue...got my project for the weekend after washing off the "love bugs!"
Old 03-30-2019, 06:05 PM   #13
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for bringing this up. Checked mine and 7 of 8 were loose. I'll check them each time I check the slide motor bolts in the future.

Tags
slide