Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2022, 08:37 PM   #1

Bent my dish…

Winegard satellite system, new to me and I forgot to put it down.
2020 MA on my maiden voyage whacked a tree limb. I bent it back but it appears everything mechanical still works when I power it up or down. Needless to say it can’t find a signal. Do we think I can just buy a replacement dish and everything should be good..? It sure looks like the dish is really just a generic part with nothing specific to my particular system. Can I just replace the dish…the tin disk part? Thank you!
cliffj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2022, 09:57 PM   #2

You can try contacting Winegard to see if you can order the reflector from them directly or try eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14225856529...YAAOSwtRBed1Jk
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:52 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
You can buy a replacement dish on the Winguardcweb site
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:55 AM   #4
YC1

Replaced mine some time back. Tried to re-tweak the old one with limited success.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:28 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Over the past 15 years of having a Winegard open dish, I've bent the arm on two occasions, striking a tree while it was searching. I doubt that the dish damage is your issue, it's typically the arm that gets knocked out of whack.

I have straightened an arm, but it takes a little work. First you must do some measurements on the roof to see if it's straight to the mount. Second you have to bring up the screen on your TV that tells you the percentage of reception. I adjusted mine while my wife watched until I got it dialed in.

If you have a good rapport with your dealer, they typically will have a stockpile of DirectTV arms. When people order a new coach and want DISH, Newmar often sends the coach out with DirecTV and the dealer changes the arm to the DISH arm.

Lastly, you can just buy the parts from Winegard and install them. I actually carry a spare arm that I got from someone.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffj View Post
Winegard satellite system, new to me and I forgot to put it down.
2020 MA on my maiden voyage whacked a tree limb. I bent it back but it appears everything mechanical still works when I power it up or down. Needless to say it can’t find a signal. Do we think I can just buy a replacement dish and everything should be good..? It sure looks like the dish is really just a generic part with nothing specific to my particular system. Can I just replace the dish…the tin disk part? Thank you!
Whether you straighten the old dish or get a new one and replace any bent arms you will still have to re-calibrate it since it's not going to find the satellites in the same places anymore. Usually it's as simple as just resetting the receiver and starting from scratch and having it find all the satellites again.
Steve1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:20 AM   #7

so this dish is a Winegard Traveler and looks to be a pretty sophisticated dish with all sorts of auto alignment features...looks to be $2500.00 new if you started from scratch. (it came on the RV) Won't all of the alignment functions find the satellite signal when you put it in that mode?
cliffj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:46 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Yes, once everything is corrected, it knows where to look for the sats. Removing and replacing the dish and arm is about a 20 minute procedure. You just need a few wrenches to replace both pieces. You're probably looking at about $300.00 in parts.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 11:00 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Other threads have suggested this: https://www.solidsignal.com/satellite-tv as a source for various Satellite TV parts.

Take care,
Stu

Tags
dish