Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2018, 07:07 PM   #1

Best Price VS Dealer Location for Future Servicing

Appreciate Newmar owner insights into how you'd decide between taking the best price against the choosing a dealer with the better locations.

We intend to order a 19 Dutch Star 4369 in the next few weeks with factory delivery and received quotes from four dealers. Although we live in Charleston SC, we will be fulltime in the DS and most of our time will be in the Western US, Alaska and Canada.

Our best price is from one of the dealers most recommended on this site, but they have a single location in an area we will most likely not spend much time in or passing through.

Coming in at two thousand dollars more is another recommended dealer with multiple locations in areas that we will transit through. This dealer knows they are at a higher price, but is standing firm. It's difficult to accept paying a premium for the identical product when that premium equates to about 6 months of fuel. I'm concerned that we'd be at a disadvantage getting service if we do not purchase through the dealer that will be used for servicing.

It certainly feels like a sellers' market with quotes coming in higher than posts on this site would suggest. We like both dealers' salespeople and feel comfortable doing business with either dealer.

As newbies to the motorhome lifestyle and after reading posts about some dealers not servicing Newmars....given the already higher-than-expected quotes, we appreciate any feedback on price vs service locations we prepare to make this purchase.

Thanks -
GetOutZMap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2018, 07:17 PM   #2

$2K doesn't sound like much of a premium for a +$300K purchase. And with all of the slots being sold out it isn't surprising that the discounts now are not quite as high as last year for the 2018 models when they were new.

Sounds like you should choose the dealer with multiple locations. When others buy from the low price dealer regardless of where they live many times they simply don't have a good dealer close by. The sad fact is that for your normal service it is nice to have a dealer where you can make plans for things like annual service. But when something really breaks you may not be close to your home dealer you are at the mercy of some dealers for Newmar that have less than stellar service reputations or simply put you way down on the list since you didn't buy from them. Sad state of affairs that has been discussed endlessly on IRV.

Congrats on your planned purchased. DS is a great coach and you will be very happy with the factory pickup option. Well worth the money in my opinion.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:36 PM   #3

If, and it's a big if, the dealer that is $2k higher has a good service reputation and you regularly read that fact on here, then it's a no brainer to pay an extra $2,000 on a $300,000+ coach for better service.

The common thread you see on IRV2 and elsewhere of frustrated owners is when they either bought long distance without a plan for service (such as being able to go back to Newmar for service) or who bought locally, but from a dealer with a horrid reputation for service.

Do not set yourself up for that heartburn. If you have no problem driving up to Napanee whenever you have an issue, and are willing to deal with the 2-3 month wait to do so, then by all means save the $2,000, but ONLY if you have a viable plan to deal with the manufacturing defects not only that you find in the first days and weeks, but also for the rest of the warranty period, and then even after the warranty expires.

While I'm about to pickup my first Newmar next week, I've spent countless hours on IRV2, ThorForums, ForestRiverForums, and multiple other RV forums to make the above statement with full confidence that I'm giving you solid advice.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:27 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ditto on the $2K difference on $300K. We just ordered our second motorhome from our dealer. Not only are they close (50 mi) but they have done superb work on out existing Canyon Star, everything from replacing damage laminate floor, reinforcing shower drain area and also even did body work beautifully (don't ask). Having a dealer that can do everything (engine, body work, house work ...) is in my opinion worth their weight in gold, are they the absolute cheapest place to buy a MotorHome, probably not, but according to the deals I have read about on here over the years, they are not the most expensive. I believe purchasing from a great dealer is like purchasing a home, you might get a cheaper one, but what support are you going to get when something goes wrong ... and you know it will.
As I said both deals we got were reasonable and I did and I am happy with them both.

Bottom line is for a .6% difference in price I wouldn't even let $ in to my equation.

BTW: I'm not loaded with $$$$$$
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:33 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup. Gotta determine if the dealer with multiple locations provides prompt and quality service. Unfortunatly, most do not. I've found working with a service only shop that doesn't sell nets the best service satisfaction. Its only how they make their living.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #6

That difference in money you are talking about isn't much when looking at purchasing a new DS. Really though after the first year or so how many times will you need a Newmar dealer for service needs? Being full time and traveling we are visiting Freightliner service centers more often than Newmar dealers. In addition, you can always plan a detour and run up to Nappanee for factory repair issues.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:13 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I have purchased two new Newmar’s from TomLindstromRV and feel that I got both, and excellent price and great after the sale service. I totally agree that after the sale service is important.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here's some things you should consider. Are you handy? Will you be able to fix small warranty items yourself or will you need to take it back to the dealer? If your honest answer is that you'll probably need to take it to a dealer, especially since you fulltime, and don't have a dedicated space to work on it, or possibly the tools, pay the extra $2K. Look at it as an extended warranty. The $2k equates to $12.00 a month in your payment.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:35 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I bought a 2018 NA about 6 months ago and my advise to you unless you intend to use factory for warranty is to find a dealer that has a good reputation and provides warranty service to ALL Newmar owners not just one's they sell. In my case I can tell you my service has been first rate and If it were $2000 moire I would gladly pay it.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
We just went through the same drill of selecting the dealer to buy from. If both dealers have the same reputation for service after the buy I would pick the one that u think will meet your warranty and routine service the best. We choose the highly regarded dealer < 50 miles from home for that reason. As others have said the 2k is not that much in the grand scheme of things.

As for breakdowns …. full timing or not the RV breakdown gods will always favor a place where you have no support over anywhere nearby your favorite service center
Beach Livin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, dealer