Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2019, 03:29 PM   #589

Winnebago Owners Club
Mobley locked sims are easily reset by calling or chatting online and requesting PUK codes for your device. This is expertly detailed at www.rvmobileinternet.com.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att...as-pin-locked/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2019, 03:47 PM   #590

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Mobley locked sims are easily reset by calling or chatting online and requesting PUK codes for your device. This is expertly detailed at www.rvmobileinternet.com.

Right [emoji106]
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:24 PM   #591

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Glad for your success...Happy I could help!

And yes, most of the “embedded” WiFi hotspots in vehicles actually have to be set up BY the dealer. Yikes!
Actually on the Jeep, it was set up by me. Just had to go to AT&T’s connected car Portal, create an account, enter my VIN and poof. I assumed it came from the factory that way.
Mapnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:03 PM   #592

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post

I thought I had read, but will check that out, that after you get the PUK code, you have to set a new one and are required to enter that every time you start your hotspot/router.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:37 PM   #593

Winnebago Owners Club
With the PUK code you can set a new SIM PIN. You only need that when you move your SIM to a new device.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:11 AM   #594

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp1991 View Post
Great question!

I don't claim to know all the differences, but many of them will be in the specific model rather than manufacturer. That said, some of my own notes from my own recent research:
  1. Firmware updates. Cradlepoint currently requires an annual subscription to get the latest and to get support. Pepwave doesn't.
  2. Upgradeable modems. Some Cradlepoints can do this. No Pepwave can.
  3. Modem tech. Pepwave's latest and greatest versions are CAT12. Cradlepoints are CAT18. And if you have a model w/ upgrade options, you can put a CAT18 in your existing chassis.
  4. Band 71/TMobile support. Pepwave has one model supporting band 71 and it's a CAT4 modem. Cradlepoint offers this on multiple models (replaceable modems) (FWIW, band 71 is the lowest MHz band in the US which means it travels further and is least impacted by trees, walls, etc. This is probably important for fringe connections.)
  5. TTL configuration. Pepwave is beta'ing the ability to override TTL in outbound packets. I know of no equivalent for Cradlepoints. (FWIW, some (all?) carriers detect hotspot / tethering usage by looking at TTL. So being able to overwrite it at the modem can make your traffic appear as if it's coming from a 'phone' rather than hotspot/tether, which can work around caps/throttles on the latter if your plan has them. Doesn't do anything for IMEI sweeps though.)

BTW, if you're looking for the latest modem, Cradlepoint is supposed to start shipping their MC400-1200-B (band 14, band 71, and much improved aggregation pairing options) on Oct 1st. That includes models with the modem included and the standalone modems, or so I've heard.
Thanks Dmp1991, this is awesome info. Looks like Cradlepoint will fit my needs a little better. I’m not too concerned about the TTL override capability as my AT&T plan includes hot spot/tethering capabilities.

To get dual network coverage, I’m looking for an option that will ride on Verizon. Visible looks like a fairly decent option for this, so I’m looking into it. If others know of a better way to get an unlimited data plan on Verizon on the cheap, please share.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:28 AM   #595

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
I thought I had read, but will check that out, that after you get the PUK code, you have to set a new one and are required to enter that every time you start your hotspot/router.
Once you have the code you enter it, set a new PIN so future updates can't change it, and then turn off the PIN feature so that you do not have to enter your new PIN every time you power up the unit.
Old 10-04-2019, 12:59 PM   #596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapnerd View Post
I’m looking for an option that will ride on Verizon. Visible looks like a fairly decent option for this, so I’m looking into it. If others know of a better way to get an unlimited data plan on Verizon on the cheap, please share.
Coincidentally, Visible is also what I'm playing with to be on the Verizon network. So far, while it works in my Cradlepoint (remember to change/override the APN to 'visible'), I've not been in a good reception location in the few weeks since I got my SIM. Maxing at ~10Mbps, min at ~5Mbps. I suspect that reception is due to a number of factors that I'll be addressing over time (CAT6 modem I tried it in, internal antennas only, etc.) so don't take that as representative speeds.
dmp1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:35 AM   #597

Quote:
Thanks Dmp1991, this is awesome info. Looks like Cradlepoint will fit my needs a little better. I’m not too concerned about the TTL override capability as my AT&T plan includes hot spot/tethering capabilities.

To get dual network coverage, I’m looking for an option that will ride on Verizon. Visible looks like a fairly decent option for this, so I’m looking into it. If others know of a better way to get an unlimited data plan on Verizon on the cheap, please share.
Have you got a Visible plan setup in a router yet? I hadn't heard of them till I saw your post.
ebourlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:36 PM   #598

My wife uses them for her cell. When I pick up my rig in 2 weeks, I’m going to pop her sim out and plug it into the WiFi ranger that comes with it, use that as a test run before I order another SIM. Otherwise, I’ll
Just go directly with Verizon prepaid.

Will post when I have more details
Old 10-25-2019, 10:46 PM   #599

Best RV Internet for Dummies

RE: AT&T HARMAN SPARK and the CONNECTED CAR PLAN

Just wanted to let y’all know...the game’s over. I got this notice today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AT&T NOTICE.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	264771

I’ve started a new thread so as to not hijack this one.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/at-an...er-466693.html
Old 10-26-2019, 07:50 AM   #600

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
This sucks! Game changer for sure[emoji853]
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:11 AM   #601

Technically, you haven’t been using it outside of your vehicle. You’ve just been using it outside of the spark device.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:11 AM   #602

Quote:
Technically, you haven’t been using it outside of your vehicle. You’ve just been using it outside of the spark device.

You are exactly right! And this is why their decision to cancel is so ridiculous.

It makes no sense. A pre-paid SIM card placed into a PepWave, Mobley, Spark, ToGo, etc. all function the same; as a “In-Car” HotSpot!

The ONLY delineator with a device like the PepWave is that they can’t tie it to a specific VIN like all the others.

This is nothing more than another example of AT&T’s poor customer service and greed.

I get it; carriers don’t want some hack or “gaming punk” dropping their SIM into a multipoint AP and sucking up a jillion gigs completely free to a dozen users. But how would that be possible with the levels of control carriers have now?

If they truly wanted to provide good customer service, then they should just track, prioritize, cap and/or throttle that SIM...just like other carriers.

Tags
internet