Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2019, 03:45 PM   #617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
So I do not see any Pepwave with Cat12 and WiFi yet.
The MAX Transit that I linked to has dual-band 802.11ac/a/b/g/n 2x2 MIMO WiFi. So does the MAX Transit Duo. Both also have Cat12 modems -- the Duo having two Cat12 modems.
dmp1991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2019, 03:47 PM   #618

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
So my only questions are, choosing the Prepwave cat 6 over the cat 12 and the Poynting MIMI-3 over the Panorama 5 in 1 low Profile?
I would definitely get the Cat12 version if I were you!

I have no opinion on the antenna choice. :-)
Old 10-30-2019, 04:41 PM   #619

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp1991 View Post
The MAX Transit that I linked to has dual-band 802.11ac/a/b/g/n 2x2 MIMO WiFi. So does the MAX Transit Duo. Both also have Cat12 modems -- the Duo having two Cat12 modems.
Thanks must have missed that. It can pickup campground wifi?
Old 10-31-2019, 08:19 AM   #620

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I have spent the last 3 hours reading this entire thread (well 90% anyway) and I do get that this is about the BEST mobile internet setup. But for me, the less than half timer, who does not spend a lot of time out in the wilderness, this BEST solution seems to be overkill to me. I am also very surprised to have not seen anyone mention the MOFI4500 SIM4 V2 as an alternative. I would really like to hear from the cellular experts what their opinion of this router is and how it compares to the routers recommended here. I know it is a bit older technology but it looks to be a good fit for me. I just wish it had the 5ghz wifi band.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 08:53 AM   #621

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
I am also very surprised to have not seen anyone mention the MOFI4500 SIM4 V2 as an alternative. I would really like to hear from the cellular experts what their opinion of this router is and how it compares to the routers recommended here.
Here’s a review:
https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gea...xelte-sim4-v2/
Old 10-31-2019, 09:02 AM   #622

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I've read that review. I would like to see what TurboPilot and/or NealC or others have to say about it.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:47 PM   #623

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
My preference is Pepwave, 2nd choice Cradlepoint.

Preferred Antenna: Panorama X-in-1. Air conditioner shroud mount has proven outstanding. Highest point on roof with 360 degree coverage. I gladly sacrifice cable length for antenna position.

As I've stated, you can throw all the money you want into CAT whatever modems. Carriers are hard throttling protecting their bandwidth. I see upload speeds burst to 300 MB/s and wind down to 15'ish. You will get "good enough" speeds predominately (10-15'ish on average). Spend your money on the best reception (antenna and placement) and higher the MIMO the better. Make sure your carrier(s) are supported as Cradlepoint doesn't do Sprint and I'm actually using Sprint right now over AT&T and Verizon in my southern AZ location. (Kartchner Caverns near Benson). Pepwave with TTL override is the winning solution to me.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:13 PM   #624

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
My preference is Pepwave, 2nd choice Cradlepoint.

Preferred Antenna: Panorama X-in-1. Air conditioner shroud mount has proven outstanding. Highest point on roof with 360 degree coverage. I gladly sacrifice cable length for antenna position.

As I've stated, you can throw all the money you want into CAT whatever modems. Carriers are hard throttling protecting their bandwidth. I see upload speeds burst to 300 MB/s and wind down to 15'ish. You will get "good enough" speeds predominately (10-15'ish on average). Spend your money on the best reception (antenna and placement) and higher the MIMO the better. Make sure your carrier(s) are supported as Cradlepoint doesn't do Sprint and I'm actually using Sprint right now over AT&T and Verizon in my southern AZ location. (Kartchner Caverns near Benson). Pepwave with TTL override is the winning solution to me.
So what is it that makes the pepwave better? I am struggling with justifying the added cost, when I hear such good things about the mofi and it is half the cost of the pepwave. Again, what makes it $300 better than the mofi?
Old 10-31-2019, 01:20 PM   #625

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Both Pepwave and Cradlepoint routers are enterprise class products, they are high end professional far superior to WiFi Ranger and Weboost type products. These are designed for fleet tracking but serve outstanding for RV use as they are high end network products.

There are plenty of products on the market, choose what fits your budget. But I can tell you that I've spent more on a Weboost 4G-X, Weboost RV-65 (soon going up for sale), and WiFi Ranger Elite AC FM than I would have spent done right at first with a PW or CP product.

Let me put this is my usual perspective. You paid how much for your motorhome? How important is your Internet connectivity from now to the future of your travels? A minor investment done right will thwart a lot of frustration. CG WiFi is out, never count on it. Cellular is your Internet source 99% of the time.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:30 PM   #626

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Thanks must have missed that. It can pickup campground wifi?
That feature shows up on the spec sheets as 'WAN over Wifi' I believe.

Edit: "WiFi-as-WAN" is Cradlepoint's language.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:51 PM   #627

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
I am also very surprised to have not seen anyone mention the MOFI4500 SIM4 V2 as an alternative. I would really like to hear from the cellular experts what their opinion of this router is and how it compares to the routers recommended here. I know it is a bit older technology but it looks to be a good fit for me. I just wish it had the 5ghz wifi band.
I don't know that I qualify as an expert, but I'll offer my opinion as a fairly tech-savy person who's been doing alot of research.

First, per the page you link to, I'd recommend aiming for the Combo model (a suffix on the model name and number) as it costs only $15 more but it offers more LTE bands per it's spec sheet. That translates into a better chance to find a signal, or a higher bandwidth signal, in more places on more cellular networks. If you plan to keep multiple active plans, like both an AT&T and Verizon, this is more important to be able to swap between them. But if you stick with one provider, just make sure whatever you buy supports all bands they use.

The combo still doesn't have 5GHz 802.11ac wifi. Nor does either the SIM4 or SIM4-Combo have faster than a 100Mbps wired port. Since 2.4GHz seems fairly crowded these days, I can't imagine I'd want to pull the trigger on this as packet collisions on the crowded radio spectrum could take away a decent percentage of your bandwidth. But depending on where you stay, and your bandwidth needs, this might not be a problem for you. The wired port speed certainly isn't a problem if everything you have only connects via wifi. (That won't be the case for me.)

I'd also point out that the Pepwaves and Cradlepoints all have 2 sim slots per modem while the MOFIs only have one. If you want to be able to failover (not quickly, but at all) without a visit to the router, you'll miss out with the MOFI. Then again, if you aren't maintaining 2 sim plans this won't matter anyway.

I'll also say the MOFI looks to be aimed for internal installation locations. While the temp range is wide, the power requirements range is a bit narrower than the Pepwave and Cradlepoints. The MOFI also can't be powered by POE like some of the Pepwaves and Cradlepoints (but not all). This would mean larger enclosures and more cable runs to the roof if you wanted to put this on the roof near the antennas to minimize signal loss over long cable runs. Another thing that a single sim slot would compound would be switching sims on the roof more often.

The only other thing I can tell from the spec sheet is that GPS is an additional optional add-on to both the model you mentioned and the 'combo'. The Pepwaves and Cradlepoints have this built in already. If you don't plan to use the GPS feature for anything on your network, this won't matter. Some folks have a number of devices tracking the current GPS coords output by their router though.

I can't comment at all on the ease-of-use, or capabilities, of the setup and monitoring screens for the MOFI. I do find the Pepwave and Cradlepoint usable and generally well thought-out, at least to a prosumer or enterprise level. But your average home user will likely be a little confused and/or never get around to some of the more 'enterprise' things you can do with these. Maybe the MOFI is better for a typical home-user? I dunno.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:56 PM   #628

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Make sure your carrier(s) are supported as Cradlepoint doesn't do Sprint....
Where are you sourcing that info from? Cradlepoint's product pages certainly show support for Sprint more often than not. e.g. https://cradlepoint.com/products/cor-ibr900-series lists Sprint under 'Carriers / Operators'. Even the CBA850 lists Sprint as an available carrier.

Granted, I've not personally tried Sprint myself.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:19 PM   #629

Winnebago Owners Club
We switched our WFR Go2 router for a WFR GoAC router this year to get 5GHz 802.11ac wifi. I have to say it's a big improvement to have the 5GHz frequency as it's less crowded everywhere we go. Many campgrounds, a surprising number actually, offer 5GHz wifi and in all cases it is less crowded than 2.4Ghz wifi options.

I agree that CG wifi is "mostly" not a viable option BUT there are exceptions.

We carry ATT and Verizon MiFi and rely on them 90% of the time for internet. But I'd say a good 10% of the time CG 5GHz is working great. Sometimes with blazing speeds as high as 80mbps down. We also visit 2 or 3 CGs that have free "regular" WiFi but offer inexpensive FAST wifi for a daily charge. The place in Tucson were we spend Jan and Feb offers free, bog slow, wifi or 30+mbps fast internet for $30 a month. We pay the cost because it's faster than our Verizon and ATT data.

I know the thrust of this thread is the OPTIMAL mobile internet but we have the latest Verizon JetPack tethered via USB to the WFR GoAC and the ATT Nighthawlk device connected via Ethernet cable to the GoAC as well. This setup isn't as minimalist or totally contained as the Pepwave dual SIM all on the roof systems, but has pretty much similar functionality AND when the time comes it will be possible to update the MiFi devices not the entire device as you'd have to do with a Pepwave or Cradlepoint.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:48 PM   #630

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Best RV Internet for Dummies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp1991 View Post
Where are you sourcing that info from? Cradlepoint's product pages certainly show support for Sprint more often than not. e.g. https://cradlepoint.com/products/cor-ibr900-series lists Sprint under 'Carriers / Operators'. Even the CBA850 lists Sprint as an available carrier.

Granted, I've not personally tried Sprint myself.

Cradlepoint CAT 6 supports sprint. I don’t think any CAT 18 supports Sprint.

Tags
internet