Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2020, 11:54 AM   #715

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilzbow View Post
Sorry if this has been asked and answered but I searched the thread and couldn’t find an answer....

We have AT&T with two phones and an IPad, each with their own line. If I buy a Pepwave how do I get an AT&T Sim for it and is that SIM card a duplicate of an existing line or an additional line with a monthly charge?

I assume it’s an additonal line and I simply go to an AT&T store, add a line, get a SIM card for that line and plug it into the Pepwave but maybe it’s not that simple....

I also assume if I wanted to use a different carrier, such as Verizon, for only the Pepwave I could do that.

Read above...over 700 posts but cover everything you need to know.

Bottom line, you can swap sims all day long, but the Carriers will screw with you, including terminating your service if they detect a PepWave since it’s not a “provisioned” device.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2020, 01:54 PM   #716

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I simply go to an AT&T store, add a line, get a SIM card for that line and plug it into the Pepwave but maybe it’s not that simple....
You can do that... but you'll pay a fortune monthly for next to no data to access the internet.

Others are free to disagree with me, but NEVER go into the store.

First, there are carrier owned stores and there are authorized reseller stores. If you go to the reseller store your asking to be ripped off. And, if you go to the carrier owned store you'll speak to people that sound confident but have zero clue about your RV, your Pepwave or how RVers use the internet.

The cellular stores are geared for one thing - selling the latest iPhone or Android Phone and setting up an account to service your phone. They will not understand what you need even though they will sell you a SIM or a plan.

The only way to deal with this is to learn more than the hourly worker that works in these stores.

You can read all of this thread and get a lot of info. OR you can pay to join www.rvmobileinternet.com and learn even more directed at giving you all the tools you need to get an RV friendly plan - which you'll probably want to order on the phone or online in a chat session on your carrier's website. BUT you'll know what you need, what to ask for, how to interpret the responses you get and when to say no to some bogus plan that doesn't work for you.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:20 PM   #717

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Quote:
Sorry if this has been asked and answered but I searched the thread and couldn’t find an answer....

We have AT&T with two phones and an IPad, each with their own line. If I buy a Pepwave how do I get an AT&T Sim for it and is that SIM card a duplicate of an existing line or an additional line with a monthly charge?

I assume it’s an additonal line and I simply go to an AT&T store, add a line, get a SIM card for that line and plug it into the Pepwave but maybe it’s not that simple....

I also assume if I wanted to use a different carrier, such as Verizon, for only the Pepwave I could do that.

You can take the SIM out of the iPad and put it in the Pepwave, you will need a SIM card adapter tray. Just me aware that they may cancel your SIM for using it in something other than an iPad. So if it stops working put it back in the iPad and see if it works. Just don’t tell the provider that it was in something else.
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:22 AM   #718

Newmar Owners Club
We have a Pepwave and all Verizon devices. I wanted a second sim for the Pepwave so called AT&T Customer Service. At first they offered an unlimited data plan for $20/month. Once I gave them the Pepwave IMIE, it became a $40/month unlimited plan and they assigned a phone number. They mailed the sim to me Priority and I just installed and activated. Since we also have DirecTV, I was able to bundle with the new line and get a $10 monthly discount off my sat bill.

Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:54 AM   #719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale View Post
We have a Pepwave and all Verizon devices. I wanted a second sim for the Pepwave so called AT&T Customer Service. At first they offered an unlimited data plan for $20/month. Once I gave them the Pepwave IMIE, it became a $40/month unlimited plan and they assigned a phone number. They mailed the sim to me Priority and I just installed and activated. Since we also have DirecTV, I was able to bundle with the new line and get a $10 monthly discount off my sat bill.

This is a bit mind-blowing for 2 big reasons:

1. That AT&T offered you ANY unlimited plan for $20.
2. That they even recognized (and provisioned) a PepWave SIM...for $40.

Every carrier we (this tech group) have contacted, considers a PepWave as an unknown device and, therefore, treats it as a Mobile Hotspot. Verizon, for example wants over $70 for that plan, last I checked, AT&T wanted one $100, and T-Mobile was in the middle.

This sounds more like a price for an “Add-on” to an existing customer, NOT a “Pre-Paid” plan though.

So, if you got a TRUE unlimited pre-paid plan for $40 (net $30 after discount)...you’re about the luckiest I’ve seen yet. So, RUN!
Old 06-15-2020, 10:03 AM   #720

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
This is a bit mind-blowing for 2 big reasons:

1. That AT&T offered you ANY unlimited plan for $20.
2. That they even recognized (and provisioned) a PepWave SIM...for $40.
There is no way that what he received was an unlimited data plan SIM for $40 per month. That doesn't exists at ATT or Verizon nor any others.

It's "unlimited" in name only and unfortunately he just hasn't realized it yet.

What he will learn is that what they call unlimited is in name only. Sure, you can use up to 15 gigs of data per month at normal 4g speeds and then all that stops and you get UNLIMITED data at 600kbps DIAL UP speeds that are worthless for just about anything.

They only call it unlimited because even though the data rate slows to an unusable crawl it doesn't cut off. So, see, it's "unlimited." NOT.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:06 PM   #721

[emoji115]Yup.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:33 PM   #722

We just got back from Florida. Spent about 2.5 weeks on the road. Used 18.5 GB of data through t-mobile. No hiccups from VA to FL and back. Very impressed.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 10:36 PM   #723

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Read above...over 700 posts but cover everything you need to know.

Bottom line, you can swap sims all day long, but the Carriers will screw with you, including terminating your service if they detect a PepWave since it’s not a “provisioned” device.
That’s helpful and in the time it took you to respond you could’ve answered a couple of simple questions.

I’m not a techy, this stuff doesn’t interest me so forgive me for only reading 300 of the 700 posts before giving up and asking a question.
Tilzbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:39 AM   #724

Quote:
That’s helpful and in the time it took you to respond you could’ve answered a couple of simple questions.

I’m not a techy, this stuff doesn’t interest me so forgive me for only reading 300 of the 700 posts before giving up and asking a question.

I’m sorry that you feel I didn’t spend time to answer your “simple” questions. Almost kind of an insult when you say I could have taken the same amount of time to answer your questions, than it took to tell you to search and read. After all, there’s a reason why there are 700 posts...because it is NOT a simple, “one size fits all” solution!

There are other threads by myself, and NealC that talk a TON more about different carriers. And they continue to change, as of yesterday.

NOW you say you’re not a techie, which is fine, but I then would challenge whether or not you want to delve into a PepWave. It is NOT just PlugNPlay/Set It and Forget it solution.

Finally, you didn’t give all the necessary details for YOUR plan, but since you feel I can’t take the time to answer, let me direct you to your carrier. Go into the store, or call them if you want more punishment, and ask what a SIM card add-on for your plan would cost.

Then be prepared to make a decision based on a handful of options ranging in price and data caps.

If you get a PepWave, and put a “Tablet” card into it, be prepared for throttling due to the fact that the carriers do not accept the PepWave as a provisioned device and will, therefore, cripple the service.

Some, who chose NOT to have these headaches, are perfectly happy with a Mobile Hotspot from their carrier. It’s a much more direct solution.

Again, not to sound snarky, but you really need to look at the other posts on this topic, where your questions are answered in spades. I just can’t begin to parrot all of the great input given by others. Sorry if that’s not good enough for you.

Steve
Aka Capt. Gizmo
Old 07-09-2020, 07:05 PM   #725

Question on connecting to Chevy Hotspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
The MC400 is the general model term for the CradlePoint modular modem family. There are several modems that fit that form factor including the CAT 18 1200M modem.

My current configuration is an IBR900 with an integral 2X2 CAT 18 1200M modem. The IBR900 fits into a dock that will house the MC400 form factor modems. In my case I have a CAT 18 1200M MC400 form factor modem that plugs into the dock.

So I have a dual CAT 18 1200M modem router. Only the ATT side is working currently pending Verizon approval.
TurboPilot - how do I connect my Chevy WIFI Hotspot to the Cradlepoint/Pep Wave setup you have been describing?

Thanks in advance.
dogrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #726

We're about to place an order for a 2021 DS 4310, and I'm wondering what specials we need to ask for to make sure we have the coach setup for this optimal setup you guys are describing in here? Thanks in advance for the help.
ravencr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:19 PM   #727

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravencr View Post
We're about to place an order for a 2021 DS 4310, and I'm wondering what specials we need to ask for to make sure we have the coach setup for this optimal setup you guys are describing in here? Thanks in advance for the help.
My DSDP order is in for 2021. The prep I asked for, for the LTE setup, was "Wifi prep with dual 1" conduit from driver OHC to roof." When it came back it was worded like this "(2) CONDUIT WITH WIFI PREP FROM ROOF TO FRONT LIVING ROOM OHC"

I had originally asked for a 2" conduit, but was told Newmar doesn't stock 2" so they can't do that. Not the same cross-sectional area between these two options, but at $850 per conduit, it was the best I was willing to pay for.

Additionally, during the discussions about this special, I asked that there be no corners or bends in the conduit greater than 60 degrees. I was told my conduit would not have any bends at all. I have doubts in my head about that.

I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to run antenna cables in these, but that's what I sized them for. Top-end would be 8 LM400 cables (dual modem, 4x4 MIMO), but that won't fit with the drop from 2" to dual 1". So either I'll drop down to smaller cables, or settle for a single modem for now. There's also the off-chance of simply putting the modem/router box on the roof itself and running CAT cable inside through the conduit.

As an aside, you may want to request additional CAT runs to the various AV locations around the coach. For future-proofing.
Old 08-23-2020, 04:15 AM   #728

Guys..... I've spent LOTS of $$$$ on all this cellular equipment mentioned, and I still get better speeds overall on my 7730L hotspot.

Tags
internet