Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2020, 04:01 PM   #1

Best way to get up on the roof

Currently, we have a 2020 Ventana 4037 which we ordered from the factory through a dealer. When we went through the list with all of the options, etc. we (I) did not include a ladder on the back. I figured at my age I don't want to get on the roof. Well, now I want to get up there to check out drains and other items. My question is, what is the best way to get up on the roof without that ladder? Would it be to
1. place a ladder on the front or the back of the rig itself. I thought the front to avoid the camera but then pressure would be placed on the windshield. Have Girard awnings on the passenger side.
2. get a 12'-14' step ladder to get up there.
3. rent a lift to get to the roof
4. wait, and have someone else get up there. (which is really my preference)

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
Agilitydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2020, 04:04 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
A collapsible extension ladder so that you CAN get on the roof if you MUST. Then whenever possible wait for somebody else to use the ladder you just happen to have.
The collapsible ladders don't take up a lot of storage space, but are sturdy enough to feel safe as you climb up and down (at least mine does).
Old 11-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
When taking delivery, I asked the same question. The answer was a 17' Little Giant ladder. It's on my Christmas list.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:23 PM   #4
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I vote for number 4. If you must get on the roof I put a telescoping ladder between the two slides close to one of the slides. If I am going to fall off getting on to the roof I prefer to fall onto one of the slides rather than the ground. Be sure to buy a ladder that will extend at least 3 or 4 feet higher than the roof so you have something to hold onto when going from the roof to the ladder.

I prefer the telescoping ladder over the Little Giant only because it takes up less room. The telescoping ladder I bought is rated for 300 lbs and can be heavy raising it. At home I have a Werner ladder similar to the Little Giant which is much more stable than the telescoping ladder. Finally, stay off the roof if you can.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:18 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I bought one of the collapsing ladders for an emergency and have it stored in the coach. Hopefully I won't need it, but if I do, I may you use it or at least have it available for someone else to use, like a son-in-law.

I still want to be able to access the roof at home. The roof/solar needs to be cleaned occasionally and I still wax it once a year. A lift would be great, but expensive, with no room in my side yard to use it. For safety, I came up with this.....it's a Werner 16' one piece fiberglass ladder. I cut it down to 13' and added Guardian Fall Protection arms to the top of the ladder. The slip on over the end of the ladder, making a wide opening at the top to walk through at roof height. I lean it against the rear spoiler on the rear of the coach, making sure to miss the the marker lights. It's very sturdy and easy to walk between the arms.

Here is a photo of it stored under my motor home and a picture of the actual arms.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191211_134508.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	308307

Name:   guardian-fall-protection-ladder-accessories-10800-64_145.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  2.5 KB
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:52 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I have a 15 foot collapsible ladder that occupies a small place in the basement. I have no desire to get on the roof but if I must, I can lean it against the side and hope for the best. In younger days, I have been up there. I still want someone to hold it when I start to come down slowly and get out of the way if I come down fast.
2020 Tahoe LT
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:29 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
This is similar to the one I bought. When looking at these ladders as a means to get on the roof, take note of the difference between extended length vs reach.

https://www.ebay.com/c/25012622458

I also carry a 7' folding double sided ladder. It folds to 3.5 inches by 4.5 inches, and fits easily in a storage bay.

https://www.amazon.com/GP-Logistics-...aps,356&sr=8-2
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:14 AM   #8

This is what I use. Works much better that the rear ladder on the coach

https://www.amazon.com/WolfWise-Tele...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewebb View Post
This is what I use. Works much better that the rear ladder on the coach

https://www.amazon.com/WolfWise-Tele...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Looks like 12.5 feet is the longest one they offer. How do you use that to get on top of a 13 foot high coach? More importantly, how do you use it to get down?
Old 11-22-2020, 12:03 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
This is what I use when on the road:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I place it on the driver side behind the full wall slide and the top of the ladder rests against the top support of the roof, right where it is supported with the bolt downs holding it in place. Once I get to the top I hold onto the roof while bringing my foot to the roof. Coming back down I hold onto the roof while placing one foot on the ladder and bring my other foot down once settled on the ladder. I store that ladder in my front passenger side compartment resting against the wall.

At my storage I have a Little Giant that I use instead.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:07 PM   #11

I use a little giant at home while working on the coach, but it's big, heavy and won't fit on/in the coach anywhere...

So I decided to buy a telescoping ladder to keep with the coach.

I looked at the various telescoping ladders... many seemed to be the same ladder, repackaged...

And then I found the Xtend + Climb brand... They have several models at various heights.

They have the Original Series, Pro Series, and Contractor Series... Each series progresses in features, quality, and cost..

I spent the money to get one of their Contractor Series... I bought the CS155/250... It handles 250lbs and extends to 15.5 feet. It works real well for getting on/off the roof, because it extends higher than the roof so you have something to grab onto.

I've used it a few times to get on/off the roof and it's stable, easy to manipulate, and I feel safe using it...

It wasn't cheap, is a little heavier than the competitors, but still collapses and fits into a basement compartment... I feel it was worth the cost, it's one stout ladder....

Contractor Series Telescoping Ladders | Xtend+Climb | Xtend+Climb Telescoping Ladders
Old 11-25-2020, 03:43 PM   #12

Use The Slide

When I was up at Newmar for a replacement heat pump (before covid-19) I watched the tech climb up on the roof.

He put a step ladder at the rear of the long slide. He climbed the step ladder, stepped off onto the roof of the slide, then stepped from the roof of the slide onto the actual roof.

It worked like a charm and enabled him to use a shorter ladder and still get up on the roof. Also he didn't have to lean a ladder against the side of the coach and possibly damage the paint or something.
I've done the same thing here at home several times now. Seems to work great even though I'm not as young and limber as my tech was.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW1 View Post

When I was up at Newmar for a replacement heat pump (before covid-19) I watched the tech climb up on the roof.

He put a step ladder at the rear of the long slide. He climbed the step ladder, stepped off onto the roof of the slide, then stepped from the roof of the slide onto the actual roof.

It worked like a charm and enabled him to use a shorter ladder and still get up on the roof.
Interesting, I wouldn't have figured a slide roof would handle the weight of a person walking on it...
Old 11-25-2020, 04:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattitude View Post
Interesting, I wouldn't have figured a slide roof would handle the weight of a person walking on it...
I was thinking the same thing. I have a ladder on the back of mine. I like it. I also have the luggage rack on top. I really like that for grabbing on when I reach the top and grabbing on when I get down. I don't feel unsafe except for when I'm washing the roof and it gets pretty slippery when wet and soapy.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof