Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2015, 08:08 AM   #1

Bidding

We have decided to submit our request for bids to 4 dealers
Should this include various modifications or just the price list items
Hopefully we will be doing this next month
Thanks for any insight you can provide
FapInJax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 08:30 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Specials which are not on the build sheet take time to negotiate with Newmar. If you are simply adding something from another build sheet that already has MSRP then I would say yes by all means.

For example...we wanted to add Customer Pickup and a Fold down seat in the shower. These options are not listed on the Ventana build sheet. They are on the Dutch Star build sheet. So, we added those to our Ventana build sheet and submitted that to different dealers.

After we selected a dealer...we worked with him for "Specials" which was a matter of detailing what you want...then your dealer gives you an opportunity to look at Newmars wording on an updated Production Report. They will also give brief reason on why they wouldn't add certain items you had asked for. That process would be a nightmare if you attempted it thru 4 different dealers. For those types of things...I would wait until you've selected your dealer.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Our plan is to go to Newmar and get all items, including specials, settled while we are there. Factory pickup is a must for us since we will be full timing and continually bringing in a our coach for warranty repairs isn't something you want to do. That being said we plan on being back in Oregon every summer for 4 months we can use the local dealer. Will see if our plan will work. Randy
Old 10-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FapInJax View Post
We have decided to submit our request for bids to 4 dealers
Should this include various modifications or just the price list items
Hopefully we will be doing this next month
Thanks for any insight you can provide
I would suggest requesting pricing for the coach and options using the Newmar MSRP order sheet. I suggest asking the dealer to quote how they will discount "specials" and other terms in the deal. Though requesting bids from multiple dealers is an easy and painless way to get pricing, don't discount (pun intended) the value of face to face negotiating with your checkbook out ready to place your order!!! Good luck and enjoy the process.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:07 AM   #5

Can you approach Newmar customer service first and ask them to calculate price for your non-stock extras ? Then approach dealers so all are working on exactly the same quote and no games are played ? Would also save dealers a little time on preparing quotes.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:26 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by britcon View Post
Can you approach Newmar customer service first and ask them to calculate price for your non-stock extras ? Then approach dealers so all are working on exactly the same quote and no games are played ? Would also save dealers a little time on preparing quotes.
I was told last week after a factory tour that all prices for specials go thru your Newmar dealer and as the customer you must sign off on all changes.
psi500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by psi500 View Post
I was told last week after a factory tour that all prices for specials go thru your Newmar dealer and as the customer you must sign off on all changes.

That must change after you have the coach as I am dealing directly with Newmar for estimate and scheduling etc.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:44 PM   #8

We are about to make an offer on a 2016 Bay Star 3401 that is 23% below MSRP. Is that reasonable?
Burkeede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:18 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojayhawks View Post
That must change after you have the coach as I am dealing directly with Newmar for estimate and scheduling etc.
Yes. Post sale you work directly with the Factory Service Center for schedule and price. When buying a new coach and you are working with sales support and the specials coordinator, they will provide pricing for specials only to a dealer.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:25 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkeede View Post
We are about to make an offer on a 2016 Bay Star 3401 that is 23% below MSRP. Is that reasonable?
We ordered our '02 DSDP and got 27% off, but that was in '02 too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkeede View Post
No, most people seem to get about 25-29% off, more with an order, but searching through the forums it seems to me 23% is low, counter with say 28% and see what they say.....
jmkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:39 AM   #12

follow up to previous post

Sorry...I should have also added that we are trading in a 2011 Class C. Most of the replies show that we should be shooting for 27-28% off MSRP. Even with a trade?

One other question...this 2016 Newmar 3401 has a full wall slide on the driver's side and a slide in the bedroom only on the passenger side. Does anyone know of a weight balance issue with this configuration? I have heard the 34' Winnebago full side slide had the weight balance problem.
Burkeede is offline   Reply With Quote